Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand camera

Options
  • 31-05-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Thinking about buying a secondhand camera (compact), just wondering if there is any advice on what to check before handing over the cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Check every function you want to be able to use.
    Especially check that it's full zoom range works, memory cards work in it, and that one you've taken a photo with it, you can look at it on another device (like a computer) and that the focus is sharp in the photos you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Heebie wrote: »
    Check every function you want to be able to use.
    Especially check that it's full zoom range works, memory cards work in it, and that one you've taken a photo with it, you can look at it on another device (like a computer) and that the focus is sharp in the photos you took.

Cheers for that, it's very helpful. As regards functions, not really sure, hoping to use this to understand all the various settings and how they effect pictures taken (ISO, aperture priority etc) as I don't understand any of it. Looking at an rx100 MK1 or similar, and if I get a grasp of everything it can do, and still enjoying it, I might get a fancier camera in a year or two.

Be careful that your choice has those abilities. A lot of compacts don't, and others those features are pretty limited.
    A "bridge" camera would be a bit bigger, but is more likely to give you control over those elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Heebie wrote: »
    Be careful that your choice has those abilities. A lot of compacts don't, and others those features are pretty limited.
    A "bridge" camera would be a bit bigger, but is more likely to give you control over those elements.
    That's fair enough, less functionality is likely a good thing, might be easier to get a grasp of what I'm doing, and will see how I get on with it.

Lu Tze wrote:
    That's fair enough, less functionality is likely a good thing, might be easier to get a grasp of what I'm doing, and will see how I get on with it.

Less control over what going on May keep you from understanding how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (Sensitivity) affect what ends up in the finished photo.
    I hope you find something with at least a good balance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a difference between less functionality and less control; but one issue you'll have in most compacts (in my experience) is a lessening of focus control.
    also, too much functionality can make cameras difficult to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Cheers for that, it's very helpful. As regards functions, not really sure, hoping to use this to understand all the various settings and how they effect pictures taken (ISO, aperture priority etc) as I don't understand any of it. Looking at an rx100 MK1 or similar, and if I get a grasp of everything it can do, and still enjoying it, I might get a fancier camera in a year or two.

FWIW, I picked up an RX100 mkii recently as a back up to my DSLR and to bring when I am running and the DLSR is just too big. They are a super little machine, with great image quality and as many or as few functions as you would like to control. Fully manual to fully auto is available with control over ISO, WB, Shutter speed, exposure compensation and aperture all available.

My 5 year old has the hang of it in auto mode and can produce perfectly acceptable snap shots with it. Wife loves it as it is tiny compared to my DLSR with battery grip and 28-80 F2.8 lens and I love it as it allows for great photos when out running the mountains or when chasing after three kids and just can't be bothered hauling the DSLR around. I won't be ditching the DSLR though, they complement each-other perfectly.

The only negatives i would report are it's not waterproof and the turn on/off time for my one can seem like ages. Realistically it is a few seconds at most but compared to the instant response of my DLSR it can seem like you are waiting. Also the rear screen on my one is a little scratched around the edges, probably from running with it. I could fit a screen protector to prevent further damage though.

Wholeheartedly recommend the RX100 range though. Great cameras.

Advertisement