Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least 11 dead, 6 hospitalized in a mass shooting at Virginia Beach

• 31-05-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Breaking news on CNN.

Not sure the death toll includes the shooter who's also now confirmed dead. Death toll could yet rise as well.

For every other country this is likely one of the biggest news stories of the year, but its just another normal day in the US. Reportedly a disgruntled employee who's just recently been fired and has taken revenge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Another Tragedy, yet nothing will be done to Gun Laws which is the main reason why America is such a violent place.

Deeply saddening that this is becoming a regular occurrence stateside. RIP to the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Does America not see these mass shootings as a problem and try to rectify it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Breaking news on CNN.

Not sure the death toll includes the shooter who's also now confirmed dead.

Being reported as 11 + the shooter.

RIP to the poor victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

14 dead now apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

14 dead now apparently

Not been confirmed by any of the big news sources yet. Still says 11.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

PsychoPete wrote: »

No, because the constitution protects their right to bear arms, which means they're protected if somebody pulls a gun on them. Well that's worked out well for them, hasn't it? How many shooters in mass shooting incidents have been stopped in their tracks by an ordinary citizen who just happened to have their gun on them? Can't remember it ever happening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A lot of them value guns over human life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My thoughts and prayers are the best thoughts and prayers.

Thoughts and prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

To use a phrase I learnt on Boards: It would be easier to take the piss out of a swimming pool than rectify the problem.

Not been confirmed by any of the big news sources yet. Still says 11.

yeah still unconfirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Not the Virginia in Cavan anyway so; just another day in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Mental health is a massive issue in America that is often overlooked when these shooting take place. Think i read once that Switzerland and Canada have more guns per capita than the US yet have virtually none of the same issues.

In case anyone is interested this is a graph showing you the number of people killed due to mass shootings in the US per year starting from the 1980s.

Total_deaths_in_US_mass_shootings.png

Bush repealing Clinton's assault weapons ban was a smart idea wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Prayers and thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They're in too deep.
    If, somehow, owning a weapon tomorrow was illegal all that follow would be a mess.

Anyone who registered a firearm would be asked to bring it in. All you'd get is people saying how they lost them and prove it.

People would be taking to the streets protesting Yadda Yadda.

If you couldn't get another weapon a black market would just increase.

They're in too deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You can clearly see a pattern in that graph that is steadily increasing in frequency.

In case anyone is interested this is a graph showing you the number of people killed due to mass shootings in the US per year starting from the 1980s.

IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Total_deaths_in_US_mass_shootings.png[/IMG]

BBC are reporting there's been 150 shootings this year so far, seems much higher than 2017 on that chart. I'm not sure what they classify as a mass shooting.

kowloon wrote: »
    BBC are reporting there's been 150 shootings this year so far, seems much higher than 2017 on that chart. I'm not sure what they classify as a mass shooting.

This is the number of deaths due to mass shootings, not the number of mass shootings.

A mass shooting is defined as 4 or more people shot, not necessarily killed, which I believe can include the shooting of the perpetrator him/herself.

• Advertisement

You can see here from the current list of all mass shootings in 2019 to date. Doesn't necessarily have to include deaths.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Mental health is a massive issue in America that is often overlooked when these shooting take place. Think i read once that Switzerland and Canada have more guns per capita than the US yet have virtually none of the same issues.
    I don't think that's true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

It might be true that there are more gun-owners per capita in those countries but there are specific reasons in each case and these lead to vastly different gun cultures.

Death toll now up to 12.

13 if you include the perpetrator.

Finds itself in all the time top 20, twelve of those in the top 20 are from this century. the other 8 come from the previous 224 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It’s sad that I’ve become numb to these. Terrible tragedy of a people who refuse point blank to recognize they’ve a major problem. It’s like being repeatedly burnt because you refuse to accept that fire is hot.

It’s a mixture of highly available guns and a repeating copycat narrative where some angry, angsty psychopath shoots random people.

Until they wind down both of those problems this will keep on repeating.

My sympathy and condolences to all of those caught up in it but please do something about changing policies! The political football being made or guns and conspiracy theories is killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RJ123

Zaph wrote: »
    No, because the constitution protects their right to bear arms, which means they're protected if somebody pulls a gun on them. Well that's worked out well for them, hasn't it? How many shooters in mass shooting incidents have been stopped in their tracks by an ordinary citizen who just happened to have their gun on them? Can't remember it ever happening myself.

It depends on the state. Some states actually allow you to open carry assault rifles. This was the case in the state where I went to university. I never saw it personally but heard of cases of this happen and it was perfectly legal. On the other hand, some states don’t allow anybody to have a weapon of any kind of them. It all comes down to state legislation as it pertains to the specifics. Praying for the victims and their families another senseless tragedy may they Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Insane.
    Was watching psych evaluations of James Holmes, the Aurora theatre shooter, on YouTube (there's hours of it up there) to get an insight into their mindset.

This guy was an exceptional neuroscience grad student but decided to throw it all away and go on a killing spree.

Obviously varies but it makes you wonder how much of it is access to guns and how much of it is part of an American mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Christ almighty; that is horrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with all who were victims in the shooting.

America is at a point now where it's gun laws are in a really horrible place at any point in time if they try to get reformed. With all of the changes that are made to it's gun laws over the years. Nothing effective ever seems to work for them. Everything feels like it's falling apart when you're by an american citizen hearing things like this shooting very often on the news. Nothing can stop you from being distressed when hearing this stuff. When a loved one of yours is lost from these events; it can feel like a unstoppable nightmare when you hear that they die from it's aftermath.

When you experience losing someone from an event like this; it can & does change you as a person in how you give valuable trust in people.

If any of the victim's loved ones are out there right now learned from the authorities that the gunman was potentially known to their children, brother, sister, nephew, cousin as their colleague etc.....How would they feel in releasing that information to other members of their families & their friends. The level of pain & suffering inside themselves when they hear about this stuff must be horrific to deal with. I cannot predict the level of distress and anger coming from the families who have lost ones in this tragedy. But what I can say on the matter is that when America deal with it's gun laws; it does not apply the level of restraint or self control required to not kill someone when certain unsafe individuals regularly use them. Innocent people have a high probability of walking into a situation when it's outside of their control when some nutcase comes in & tries to kill multiple numbers of people with a gun when doing it in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ideally; that type of frightening **** in America needs to stop ASAP so it can allow itself to curb the high amount of damage inflicted from this crime.

Sure; there are many good things that come out of America. But tackling gun crime is really one thing that need's to be tackled for the good of it's society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I lived in the States for 12 years, my wife (a US born citizen) has had guns in her life for pretty much all of it until we moved back to Ireland. She was trained carefuly from her early years and has had to fire it twice, both in warnings and both where it was 100% warranted. I went from a gun hater to an understander in my relationship with her, not a proponent that everyone should have one but that those that are of stable mental and emotional health should have the choice. There are a few different factors in the horrific stories from the states and gun availability is just one though it is by far the worst, a sign of the endemic corruption of that political system in that an organisation comprising at best 5% of the population dictates gun law to the other 95%. And please remember that is a true statistic, despite stereotyping the NRA claims a membership of just 5% of the population of the US. Where they have been able to amplify their influence is not just in the financial lobbying but also in linking any threat to their business to the reasonable desire for the average person to be able to defend themselves and their family. They love when their opponents decry anyone with a gun as a nut job, it then sets the reasonable who do have them as allies for their entire cause rather than a disassociated reasonable sense of self preservation - this in itself is no different from when they try to link these incidents to gaming because the perpetrator played GTV at some point. Their saying that 'Guns don't kill people...people do' is absolutely true, the criminality here is that their lobbying actions put those guns into the hands of people who should not be trusted with them. This is horrific, but not because of gun availability to the general populace but because simple self evident protections ensuring the power is handed to whose who understand and can deal with the responsibility are not met.
    America does not suffer these issue because they are all gun tot'ing assholes, they suffer it because their politicians are bought and paid for by a dedicated self interest, the only difference to ours is the product. Not everyone who has a gun or believes in freedom to own one is a nut job. Personally I believe everyone should be able to own a single hand gun (any caliber) for use in their own home, with incredibly harsh punishment for possession outside of it. The amplification of that freedom in the US to the point where assault rifles are considered (by law) self-defense is the real issue, and that is purely marketing and PR (with a helping hand from ex-military PTSD).

lastly since statistics were thrown out above. They have roughty 70x our population, add up the numbers of people shot here and extrapolate, it's not as far off as you think.

_CreeD_ wrote: »

lastly since statistics were thrown out above. They have roughty 70x our population, add up the numbers of people shot here and extrapolate, it's not as far off as you think.

mass shootings of civilians by civilians is the relevant comparison, dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

mass shootings of civilians by civilians is the relevant comparison, dont you think?

I think, to those affected, death is death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wild west mentality. A gun shouldn't be kept in a house unless its securely stored and you are thoughly vetted and approved to be of right mind, such approval to be rescinded at any time.
    It should be a privilege, not a right.

The US has fetishised guns and gun ownership to an unhealthy degree. If people value having a gun over human life I don't know what if anything can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can see here from the current list of all mass shootings in 2019 to date. Doesn't necessarily have to include deaths.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

the Dakotas look quite safe but only because almost no one lives there. Edit Montana looks safer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/01/us/virginia-beach-suspect/index.html
    The man was identified as DeWayne Craddock, 40, according to a law enforcement official and a Virginia government source. He walked into the city building Friday afternoon and opened fire, killing a dozen people and wounding four others, police said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

JFK a white president was killed by a gunshot. They didn't change laws then they won't now. If that doesn't change anything nothing will.

They don't value American lives.

They got a meek law by in 68 in response to JFK's death. It prohibited sale of guns from state to state to only licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers. That was all. Within a state it was still a free for all.

President Kennedy the most popular rich white guy in the States being shot could not make things change.

The NRA dominated debated about gun law even in the 60s. They are even more firmly entrenched now.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

First amendment guarantees freedom of expression etc.

In American the second amendment will outlast the first amendment. Out of the two of them. It will be the last amendment to go BY FAR.

The will be living in a authoritarian regime long before they get rid of the second amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Long past hoping they will change their laws

They never will and shame on them

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote: »

USA 2017 Number of Deaths 15,665* population 327.2 million (2018)
    Ireland 2017 Number of deaths** 71 population 4.784 million (2017)

*guns only
    **all homicides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Are the guns okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Sadly it's not going to change. Politically they're far more protective of people's right to shoot guns than of people's right not to be shot.

Then when you couple that with the repeated narrative that a some angry person lets out their pent up rage by firing a gun, you've this copycat recurring nightmare of mass shootings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

America is way past the point of no return when it comes to gun crime.

Also, the shooter was black so the liberals will keep quiet about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was going to post about this last night as the news was breaking but decided what's the point. I mean if nothing happened after those kids in Connecticut were killed then nothing will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

First point so true.

Second point ...i dont know if that is true. But I hope its not. Race should not matter when it comes to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Gun regulation still a long way off in this country. RIP to the victims. This is just ahead of a planned gun awareness day march on Sunday. BBC reports here.

At least 12 people were killed and several injured on Friday in a mass shooting at a government building in the US state of Virginia.

The suspect, described by officials as a disgruntled city employee in Virginia Beach, fired indiscriminately in a municipal building.

The gunman, identified by police as DeWayne Craddock, was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Officials said an officer was wounded when a bullet struck his vest.

How did the shooting unfold?
    The attack began shortly after 16:00 (20:00 GMT), at Virginia Beach Municipal Center, in an area which is home to a number of city government buildings. The area was put into lockdown by police and employees were evacuated.

steddy on there eddy

Not another one!

Sorry guys I didn't see this thread open.

Well the research is clear on this. More guns in America = more homicides. It's simple but NRA members don't care about saving lives, they care about keeping guns.
    The Relationship Between Gun Ownership and Firearm Homicide Rates in the United States, 1981–2010

We observed a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates. Although we could not determine causation, we found that states with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides.

19789999.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Oh I do, but no amount of mansplaining will help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oh I do, but no amount of mansplaining will help you.

I'm now in the weird position of explaining mansplaining.

mansplaining is where you explain something to a woman, that the woman obviously knows already.

In this case it's perfectly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about so it's not mansplaining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement