Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stansted connection

• 01-06-2019 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a flight to Lon Std from Dublin next week and getting a connection then to another country.
    Flight is due to arrive in Lon Std at 7.50 and the next flight is 9.00am.

Is this doable?

Was thinking about getting the fast track pass - but not sure how this works and has got really bad reviews as it's a bit of a lottery and the queues can be longer than the normal security queue!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds a bit tight to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Sure is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can't connect in Stanstead, each flight is independent so you'll have to exit arrivals, head to departures and go through security etc again. I would want at least 3 hours to be safe. Your window is scarily tight. Good luck

It's a small airport with one terminal. I won't need 3 hours though. I know it is tight though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

It's a small airport with one terminal. I won't need 3 hours though. I know it is tight though!

Will you have checked in baggage?

You have to get to your collection belt, collect your bags, then check your bags in for your onward journey and then get through security and get to your gate. Even using fast track, which is awful at Stansted, it'll probably won't be doable imo.

• Advertisement

No checked in bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You'll be fine if you go for fast track for both passport control & security. It can be done in 20 minutes.

Don't mind the loons advising 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Definitely get the fast track or you’ll be in the queue for an hour. I waited in that queue once and then never again. I price the fast track into the price of the ticket now.

How does it fast track work?
    When I buy it, do I get a ticket or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You'll be fine if you go for fast track for both passport control & security. It can be done in 20 minutes.

Last time I was in Stanstead security queue was over 90 minutes. Not a loon, someone who learned an expensive lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

It can if the place is empty, doubt it will be at that hour of the morning though.

OP, the issue I had with fast track there was that you can buy it from a machine in the terminal. Problem with that is that people see a big security queue and decide to get a fast track ticket which meant that fast track was only marginally faster than the normal security line.

I just bought it there and there is no ticket - just a booking reference.
    Edit - pdf ticket attached - phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I just bought it there and there is no ticket - just a booking reference.
    Edit - pdf ticket attached - phew!

Remember to get one for passport control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I suppose it's possible you'll make it...... but that is an extremely tight connection. No way would I chance it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

The reason people advise 3 hours is not because the connection will actually take 3 hours but because if the first flight is delayed you will have to pay to rebook the missed flight yourself. If this were a "proper" connection a short transfer time would not matter anything as much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looking at Flightradar over the last week FR202 has arrived a little early each day, but personally I still wouldn't chance it. I would be too stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know Stansted Airport quite well, having both transited through there and done some work there. I think it will take an extraordinary amount of luck for you to make it... here is why...

Any kind of delay and you are ****èd...

Taxi in delays are common due to heavy ramp congestion and poor airport layout.
    Security screening is the most inefficient time wise I’ve seen at ANY airport I’ve been to.
    After screening and it’s a long assed walk to even the nearest gates.

Why you left it so tight is beyond comprehension, Stansted or ANY airport.

More I think about it the more I believe you have 0.01% chance of making it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

If your connecting flight is at 9 am the gate for that flight will probably close at 8.30/8.40 am. You'll be goosed if there's any slight delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

70 mins for the flight to land, taxi, for you get off the plane, out of arrivals, through fast track and then walk to your next gate. You will need some luck, also book your seat for front row of the plane into STN. As someone pointed out, gate will be closed before that possibly?

Well I made the flight after all.

The flight from Dublin to London Std was delayed by 12 mins too. Arrived in Lon Std about 7:50 - and waltzed through fast track security and got to the desk with 19 mins to spare!

Wouldn't risk it again though.

On the way back it was a lot busier and took me about 40+ mins to get through as they wanted to scan the contents of my bag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement