Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free baking for a three year old

Options
  • 01-06-2019 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a basic sponge reciepe that is gluten free (or uses gluten free flour but makes the necessary adaptions if it's based on a classic reciepe)?

My sister sent me a picture of the saddest looking sponges wanting help and after 10 minutes chatting, it emerged she's using gluten free flour cause it's a trial run for my neice's 3rd birthday next week. All the gluten free cakes I know are a bit more adult with lots of nuts, lemon or very rich chocolate. This needs to be able to take purple food dye and be cut into Dora the Explorer shape!!

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

4 eggs
    300g castor sugar
    300g gluten free self raising flour
    1tsp baking powder

Whisk the eggs & sugar, sift in flour and baking powder

It’s a nice light basic sponge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I make variations on this plain sponge a fair bit, and the chocolate cake from the same website. Sub in gf flour and add a teaspoon of xanthan gum for every 500g flour - that's what usually makes the difference for me in any recipe.
    https://charlotteslivelykitchen.com/birthday-cake-all-in-one-vanilla-sponge/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)

Advertisement