Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities/ place to see for kids

Options
  • 01-06-2019 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi there.
    We are planning a night or two away next week with our kids (6, 8, 10) in Treacy's in Ennis.

Would you recommend Craggaunowen?

Is there anywhere else?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

RioM wrote: »
    Hi there.
    We are planning a night or two away next week with our kids (6, 8, 10) in Treacy's in Ennis.

Would you recommend Craggaunowen?

Is there anywhere else?
    Thanks

I don't have children so forgive me if I am way off point.

My nieces and nephew enjoyed Craggaunowen.
    Also, Bunratty visitor centre seems popular.
    Dromore woods (near Ruan, about 20 minutes from Treacys) is nice for a stroll/picnic (There is water there so don't let them run off too far on their own).
    Lees Road just outside the town is appropriate for burning off some steam with a walk or playing if you don't want to travel too far.
    Obviously you are not too far from Cliffs of Moher and could combine with a trip to Ailwee cave as well possibly.
    If weather was exceptional, you have Kilkee or Lahinch Beaches which are about 45 minutes away.
    Planet Entertainment Centre in Ennis has bowling, laser etc and there is a cinema in the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

I don't have children so forgive me if I am way off point.

My nieces and nephew enjoyed Craggaunowen.
    Also, Bunratty visitor centre seems popular.
    Dromore woods (near Ruan, about 20 minutes from Treacys) is nice for a stroll/picnic (There is water there so don't let them run off too far on their own).
    Lees Road just outside the town is appropriate for burning off some steam with a walk or playing if you don't want to travel too far.
    Obviously you are not too far from Cliffs of Moher and could combine with a trip to Ailwee cave as well possibly.
    If weather was exceptional, you have Kilkee or Lahinch Beaches which are about 45 minutes away.
    Planet Entertainment Centre in Ennis has bowling, laser etc and there is a cinema in the town centre.

Thanks for that, some really good ideas!

RioM wrote: »
    Thanks for that, some really good ideas!

No problem. Enjoy your stay.
    Add a post if you find anything else worth mentioning after you've been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

Dont forget Fr Ted's house for afternoon tea! booking advised but great craic!

No problem. Enjoy your stay.
    Add a post if you find anything else worth mentioning after you've been here.

Will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’d definitely recommend ailwee caves. There is a birds of prey centre there too, you can get tickets for either or both together. My boys loved it when they were around 8-10 years old.

You’re only an hour from Galway if you want to visit the city or Salthill (funfair, aquarium and leisureland pool)

I’d definitely recommend ailwee caves. There is a birds of prey centre there too, you can get tickets for either or both together. My boys loved it when they were around 8-10 years old.

You’re only an hour from Galway if you want to visit the city or Salthill (funfair, aquarium and leisureland pool)

Stop trying to steal our visitors :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

As others said but Bunratty would be worth a visit too lots there in folk park and about half hour from ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Bunratty is very good, I agree. If kids are involved, isn't there a chocolate factory in the Burren somewhere? Don't know if they do visitors but I'd've loved that kind of visit as a kid!

Bunratty is very good, I agree. If kids are involved, isn't there a chocolate factory in the Burren somewhere? Don't know if they do visitors but I'd've loved that kind of visit as a kid!

There is.
    Also, I was in the Burren today myself and visited the tea-rooms at the perfumery.
    First time there. Really quaint location and lovely food (although a bit on the pricey side I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

There’s a pet farm near cliffs of moher. Moher hill I think it’s called. If the weather is good you have lahinch. Try to drive up corkscrew hill in the burden. It’s not far from ailwee caves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭A Summer In Provence

+1 for Bunratty Castle & Folk Park
    Ailwee Caves & Birds of Prey Centre
    Moher Hill Farm
    Cliffs of Moher (remember to off load your passengers before entrying the car park)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've smallies as well at home and I kind of forget how lucky we are with the ammenities around us, off the top of my head you could do:
    Bunratty Castle and Folk Park
    Lahinch Surf School
    Craggaunowen
    Playgrounds - Clarecastle is a nice stroll from the west county and has stuff for a 10 year old as well as a 6 year old
    Pitch and Putt - next door in the half way
    Play areas - Planet is probably the best for 6-10 year olds as it has play area/video games/bowling/laser tag
    Shannon Aviation Museum - flight simulators and stuff like that
    Burren
    Lough Derg activity centre

I'm sure there's loads I'm missing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The new West Coast Aqua Park in Kilrush would suit also. It’s impressive.

Well RioM, any feedback?

Well RioM, any feedback?

We went to Bunratty and Craggaunowen. The kids really loved both. Craggaunowen is not publicised very well but well worth a visit. It was a wet day and I expect any guides were tied up with school tours but once we had a map we could follow it ourselves. We are planning a longer stay in Clare in a few weeks so we will head further afield.

Advertisement