Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands festival

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

A similar but perhaps bigger event being is being planned in Waterford.

https://twitter.com/WaterfordNS/status/1135666682800889857?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but there was a time when Dolans actually had decent gigs on a regular basis.

Nowadays it seems it is the same bland boring ****e week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but there was a time when Dolans actually had decent gigs on a regular basis.

And an endless stream of cover bands too. Cover bands are fine in late bars, but I would expect more from a dedicated music venue such as Dolan's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Yea but do not send them an email saying so.they don't like it at all especially the daughter,she gets a tad upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Stab*City wrote: »
    Do you want a list like?

Some examples would do. It doesn't need to be exhaustive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

In fairness, Dolans had Ride the other night but I missed it. Would love to see more of these types of bands playing some festival or outdoor gigs in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Some examples would do. It doesn't need to be exhaustive

The xx, Rufus Du Sol, Nils Frahm, Halsey, Bicep, Four Tet, Any A$ap, Gorgon City, Chvrches, Sigur Ros, Sza, The Weeknd, Kiasmos, M83, Moderat and on and on and on...

These are all medium-large sized acts really. Its all down to cost though at the end of the day. Why pay someone like Chvrches 30,000 to come over when they can just pay madness 12,000. Its a safe bet as usual with dolans. The only time they have really current and popular acts seem to be on a weekday when they are cheaper or on a day when the act is already in the country to play a bigger more lucrative gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The XX would be unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

grenadino wrote: »
    In fairness, Dolans had Ride the other night but I missed it. Would love to see more of these types of bands playing some festival or outdoor gigs in Limerick.

The Wedding Present played there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Stab*City wrote: »
    The xx, Rufus Du Sol, Nils Frahm, Halsey, Bicep, Four Tet, Any A$ap, Gorgon City, Chvrches, Sigur Ros, Sza, The Weeknd, Kiasmos, M83, Moderat and on and on and on...

These are all medium-large sized acts really. Its all down to cost though at the end of the day. Why pay someone like Chvrches 30,000 to come over when they can just pay madness 12,000. Its a safe bet as usual with dolans. The only time they have really current and popular acts seem to be on a weekday when they are cheaper or on a day when the act is already in the country to play a bigger more lucrative gig.

Quality line-up there! Would love to see The xx, in particular. Have to wonder though if those bands are "mainstream" enough, and would they attract a large enough crowd in Limerick? I suppose if they weren't playing another other gigs in Ireland, people would travel from other cities and come to Limerick to see them..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A lot of the bigger acts for Limerick would come via MCD and Aiken in regional tours which Dolans have the monopoly on
    I’ve heard they got a150k council loan to run it which is a disgrace if true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    A lot of the bigger acts for Limerick would come via MCD and Aiken in regional tours which Dolans have the monopoly on

If it's a loan that will be paid back, how is it a disgrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

That's pretty standard for festivals and events. It's a loan to get the event up and running and then paid back once the organiser has gotten the cash in. It's win/win for everyone.
    You obviously haven't a clue.

Dolan’s a well known and successful music venue and pub couldn’t get a private loan?For A private money making venture
    If it was a loan for a public or community festival fair enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dolan’s a well known and successful music venue and pub couldn’t get a private loan?For A private money making venture
    If it was a loan for a public or community festival fair enough

Is there anything you don't complain about?

Do you understand what the concept of a loan is?

As long as they give loans to other private ventures then that’s fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

I would like to see their stranglehold on live music in Limerick broken because their stable of acts has gotten old and tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is there anything you don't complain about?

White Irish people who are EU Nationals who don't open kebab shops or phone shops and who don't employee non EU nationals.

You'd swear there was an agenda ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I would like to see their stranglehold on live music in Limerick broken because their stable of acts has gotten old and tired.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone running their own events, it's a free world , get your business plan together, proposed acts and your marketing plan and get in contact with a venue .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

In all honesty who do you think else could be got to play limerick with it's current range of venues? I'd image you would need bigger venues to make it worthwhile to bring in bigger bands. It also needs to be affordable. E50 is really the top end of what I'd pay. For that price in Dublin you can see massive bands because of capacity. The docklands festival was a positive for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone running their own events, it's a free world , get your business plan together, proposed acts and your marketing plan and get in contact with a venue .

Just like Mungret GAA club did and then Dolans put gigs on the same day to try to foil them.

Just like Mungret GAA club did and then Dolans put gigs on the same day to try to foil them.

Dolans book their gigs months in advance , that's just idle gossip created by people who want a reaction or use it to support maybe why an event didn't go well for them.

Dolans has gigs on most nights of the week to be fair

Were the Mungret gigs not on bank holiday weekends? Dolans will have bands every weekend and definitely bank holiday weekends. I don't buy that for a minute!
    I've no allegiance to Dolans. I've gone to lots of gigs there, maybe less so in the last few years but if look at the range of gigs they put on it seems fairly diverse. Comedy, indi, wrestling, folk, trad, rock, metal....... I think they do a fairly good job with the venue they have and they have opened up the milk market, the castle, ul, the lime tree and the docks now to gigs. I say fair f~cks to them!

Were the Mungret gigs not on bank holiday weekends? Dolans will have bands every weekend and definitely bank holiday weekends. I don't buy that for a minute!
    I've no allegiance to Dolans. I gone to lots of gigs there, maybe less so in the last few years but if look at the range of gigs they put in it seems fairly diverse. Comedy, indi, wrestling, folk, trad, rock, metal....... I think they do a fairly good job with the venue they have and they have opened up the market, the castle, ul, the lime tree and the docks to gigs. I say fair f~cks to them!

Exactly, you are never going to please everyone, they put all those events together and came up with the ideas, absolutely nothing stopping anyone doing the same , fair play to them , everyone has fond memories of gigs they were at in the venue , I know I do , I hope they push on and make the most of it , how many other venues in Limerick have lasted the length of time as they have , none except maybe the Icon :):) no comparison.

Wouldn't it be great if they put together something like the way Cork has the Marquee every summer .

Any idea what the capacity of the docklands tent was? 3500? Think the Marquee isnt much more, 4000 maybe, so it's probably possible. I think Aiken run the marquee so that's probably an issue. I'd imagine Aiken will have first dibs on most big acts

Any idea what the capacity of the docklands tent was? 3500? Think the Marquee isnt much more, 4000 maybe, so it's probably possible. I think Aiken run the marquee so that's probably an issue. I'd imagine Aiken will have first dibs on most big acts

I think its 5k it holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Was at the Marquee in Cork on Saturday, we're a long way behind the set up down there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

I would like to see Limerick punters support better bands.

I'd also like to see world peace and more cuddly puppies..

g

Advertisement