Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2019 - Monday June 3rd

Options
  • 01-06-2019 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Event kicks off Monday 3rd June at 6pm GMT (Irish time). It’s a software event so main focuses will be iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6 and tvOS. Most of the leaks focusing on bigger Mac and iPad software changes.

Small chance of a sneak peak of a new Mac Pro or MacBook Pro 16” but other than that it will mainly be covering software only. I’m looking forward to it this year.

WWDC-2019.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Bring on Dark mode on iOS, can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

deep1 wrote: »
    Bring on Dark mode on iOS, can’t wait!

I’ve become a big fan of dark mode lately, before I never liked it and it always looked off now with the OLED and edge to edge screens I think it’s a great addition.

I do wish they’d add some type of automation to activating it though, eg switch between light and dark modes depending on the time. Some apps do it already like twitter and dark sky and it’s much better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I read somewhere a rumour of a new home screen in iOS13?

Anyone know anything?

awec wrote: »
    I read somewhere a rumour of a new home screen in iOS13?

Anyone know anything?

The rumoured changes are iPad only as far as the rumour mill is concerned. And they could be minor changes if anything, e.g apps that can be moved anywhere on the screen without being snapped into the grid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Looking forward to this.

Hopefully ios13 will be a nice refresh across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Starting soon. Live stream here: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/livestream/

Mr.S wrote: »
    I kinda dislike this idea, the fact that one iOS app runs on all the devices is a better option than fragmenting the apps. On the other hand the iPad will only get better with this.

They're showing us tv+ footage, which is a little odd at a developer conference, but I guess in reaction to what was ultimately a very luke-warm reaction to their initial reveal earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Leading the Watch OS update with watch faces is like leading the iOS presentation with Animojis.

Leading the Watch OS update with watch faces is like leading the iOS presentation with Animojis.
    One of the most important parts of the watch imo. Part I see and interact with every day.
    Apple are plowing through these announcements. It's rumoured to be 2.5 hours too, must have a lot to cover.

• Advertisement

I like a lot of this new watch stuff. But I'm curious how much of it will be Watch5 only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Finally... Craig is on

Swipe to type! WOohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hello darkness my old friend…

Maps look good, might actually get people to use it over Google when it's released in Ireland in about 5 years time.

Ooh sign in with Apple looks gooood.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Ooh sign in with Apple looks gooood.

Yea looks great so long as it works on the browser and not just on device.

Yea looks great so long as it works on the browser and not just on device.

Yeah.

Won't apps/sites have to specifically support "Sign in with Apple" for it to work?

Enough with the bloody emoji already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Enough with the bloody emoji already!

Does anyone over the age of 18 care about that stuff?

Won't apps/sites have to specifically support "Sign in with Apple" for it to work?

Yep.

Sites and apps will have to update to add Apple as trusted auth. It's relatively trivial so long as Apple haven't designed their API in some stupid way.

Being able to rotate a video isn't a feature, it's a bug fix.

Yep.

Sites and apps will have to update to add Apple as trusted auth. It's relatively trivial so long as Apple haven't designed their API in some stupid way.

Will they want to though? Do sites/apps get something in exchange for supporting Google and Twitter sign-in?

The cross-platform browser support for these live streams is great. Watching this on my Firestick using Silk is so much better than watching it in a window on my Macbook.

Will they want to though? Do sites/apps get something in exchange for supporting Google and Twitter sign-in?

They don't get paid, if that's what you're asking.

Generally the upside to using the social logins rather than creating your own based on email/password is that it's easier to implement, and you don't have to worry about storing user passwords. The downside is you're entirely dependent on a third party to authenticate your users.

Of course, the problem here is any app that wants to keep in contact with you will just avoid enabling Apple sign in. It's a bit of a turkeys voting for christmas feature.

They don't get paid, if that's what you're asking.

Generally the upside to using the social logins rather than creating your own based on email/password is that it's easier to implement, and you don't have to worry about storing user passwords. The downside is you're entirely dependent on a third party to authenticate your users.

Of course, the problem here is any app that wants to keep in contact with you will just avoid enabling Apple sign in. It's a bit of a turkeys voting for christmas feature.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Quicker user-sign up to your site (one click basically) and the user data that comes with it.

I didn't think they got paid but apart from your email address, does the site/app get any data from supporting sign-in via your social media account? Like your full name, country etc?

I didn't think they got paid but apart from your email address, does the site/app get any data from supporting sign-in via your social media account? Like your full name, country etc?

The app developer can ask for specific information. Whenever you sign in, the provider (e.g. facebook / twitter / google) is supposed to list for you what information the app has asked for.

The app developer can ask for specific information. Whenever you sign in, the provider (e.g. facebook / twitter / google) is supposed to list for you what information the app has asked for.

Of course, this means a user is trusting the auth provider to do the right thing.

And we've seen with this Facebook stuff that this isn't always the best idea. Which is where I think Apple are going with this feature, positioning themselves as the social auth provider that users can trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Maps look good, might actually get people to use it over Google when it's released in Ireland in about 5 years time.

One of the mapping cars went by me in Wilton (Cork) last week.

Advertisement