Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2019 - Monday June 3rd

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The groans for the $1k stand....!!!

I truly don't see how anyone can justify this amount of money for a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Sonics2k wrote: »

I’m sure it’s a tax write off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It was the first time I've heard a reaction like that at an Apple event*. The crowd are usually so supportive of everything whereas this was them saying "you can't be f*&king serious".

*I haven't watched them all

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Will they want to though? Do sites/apps get something in exchange for supporting Google and Twitter sign-in?

Looks like Apple are going to solve the adoption problem by forcing any app that offers Google / Twitter / Facebook etc sign in to offer Apple sign in as well with updated T+Cs for developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pros will, That monitor is aimed at people who drop 50k on a RED 8k module camera with lenses that costs close to 10k.

I think the way they announced the monitor was a bit naff. It would have went down better if they said the monitor came with the stand and tacked on 1k to the price no one would have batted an eyelid, but showing it as a standalone purchase is a little rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I thought that was one of the best WWDC's in a long time. It's been a while since I was excited for an iOS release but I can't wait for iOS 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pros will, That monitor is aimed at people who drop 50k on a RED 8k module camera with lenses that costs close to 10k.

I think the way they announced the monitor was a bit naff. It would have went down better if they said the monitor came with the stand and tacked on 1k to the price no one would have batted an eyelid, but showing it as a standalone purchase is a little rich.

Frankly, regardless of financial background, the concept of being ripped off and forced to spend an additional $999 for a monitor stand is ridiculous. Anyone who purchased this is being taken for a fool. It's an entirely unjustified amount of money.

Frankly, regardless of financial background, the concept of being ripped off and forced to spend an additional $999 for a monitor stand is ridiculous. Anyone who purchased this is being taken for a fool. It's an entirely unjustified amount of money.

Not disagreeing with you. You said can't see anyone justifying the price to which I stated Pro's will. They are well used to these sorts of prices and will make the cost back within a week or two of work.

What I'm saying is that Apple handled this poorly, if the monitor was announced at $6999 ($5999+999) the narrative would be "ooh that's pricey, but it's apple so..." now it's "ooh that's super pricey and complete nickel and diming". There's a subtle difference that I believed they missed.

The majority of the people complaining about the price would be much better served by an iMac Pro where you get a 5K display and a Xeon workstation for $1000 cheaper than a base Mac Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple's software releases are one of the major reasons I'm still using Apple devices and services. The hardware Apple produced used to be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, that's all changed in recent years with the competition matching and often even surpassing Apple's uniqueness and quality (e.g. Microsoft Surface All-In-One). 

The biggest thing pushing me away from staying with Apple at the moment is the prices they're charging. Even the most loyal Apple customer will find it hard to justify spending the money Apple are asking for some of their latest releases. iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and MacBooks have all increased in price significantly compared to even 5 years ago, and the competition are offing some amazing stuff for a few hundred euro less. Looking at their keyboard issues on the MacBooks, I've had multiple issues with my iPhone X display that it's been replaced twice already and things like that $1k stand add-on + still including a 5w charger with the iPhone that costs almost €1,200 are just adding to the list.

Right now I still think Apple are ahead with their software releases, they still bring new and interesting features to the table and their focus on privacy is a major appeal for me personally. But Windows and Android have improved a lot over the last 2-3 years so the gap is definitely closing there too. If Apple keep pushing their prices up I don't see myself continuing buying Apple devices a few years from now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple's prices are more nuts than ever, but I am also getting longer out of computers/devices than ever before. Like, I have my iPhone 6s over 3 and half years now which is probably the longest I've ever had a phone and it's still performing well. Though I'm probably going to upgrade soon.

• Advertisement

That's my view too. I used to update every year. ever since the iPhone 7 I just couldn't justify it as it was performing perfectly fine and couldn't justify the price increase. I will update this year though as I'm getting bad RSI from using the Plus sized phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

just dropped in because i heard of the 999 stand. im not gonna lie i did hover my cursor to check the date. its not the 1st of april. oh lawdy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

As posted on some of the tech site, Apple has decided to ship these new monitors without a stand, it is mental!

One would imagine, they would include a standard non fancy stand, but apparently not. Maybe you can rest it against the box it comes with, if you are cheap to pay for the stand :)

Screen_Shot_2019_06_03_at_4.03.03_PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

OSI wrote: »
    A stand would be thrown out in 90% of the places they'll be shipped to. They're not working their way to Sally the Secretary, they'll be on big editing stations in the likes of Pixar and HBO.

Outside of limited case use; Pixar, Disney etc have largely moved on from Macs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Outside of limited case use; Pixar, Disney etc have largely moved on from Macs.

Really? Surprised at that.

Adobe instead?

I’ve spend over 5k on what was basically a trolly for a piece of equipment in work. The piece of equipment cost 500k sitting on it though so the cost of the trolly was meaningless. This will be the case for people buying this stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Apple had and still to a large degree continue to have a place in studios and creative media but they frightened people off with that impractical dustbin shaped MacPro and looking like they were preparing to abandon the pro market.

They look like they've now down a dramatic turn around so, I assume they're seeing the value of having that level or privileged position in creative media and development environments.

I don't know what they were thinking sliding away from that market. It's hugely influential even if it's not massive or profitable. Having the showed up Mac Pro towers serves exactly the same purpose as Renault having a F1 team. It's about the prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mr.S wrote: »
    iOS 13 Beta 1 is out but only via IPSW, not worth it at this stage anyway unless you are a developer - far to buggy.

yeah F that , the public ones are starting in july

Advertisement