Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to cycle

Options
  • 01-06-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just bought a good second hand racing bike. I’m new to cycling so have very little equipment etc.

Can anyone give me a list of items that I should definitely invest in? I will have to buy special cycling shoes for the pedals.

Any advice or recommendations welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bib-shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lock , saddle bag, spare tubes , mini tool, tyre levers and pump . Lights

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Gore Shakedry stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Road bike?

Shoes
    Shorts preferably bib shorts
    Helmet
    Lights

Pump that fits to frame
    Tubes x 2 spare
    Tyre levers
    Multitool
    Chain lube
    Drink bottle and cage if none on bike

Get on the road. Accumulate more once you get going.

Today I was out for a spin on a reasonable summer day.
    Shoes, socks, bibshorts, light thermal, jersey, helmet.
    2 tubes, 3 levers, multitool - all in Jersey pockets
    2 bottles, pump, rear light - all on bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

A bike fit and a membership form to join your local Cycling club.

A number of clubs now run Couch to 50k programs (Bray Wheelers included) and it is a fantastic way of meeting other riders new to the sport.

The advice and coaching you get is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What kind of cycling? Are you cycling to work or to lose weight or joining a club for serious spins or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

What kind of cycling? Are you cycling to work or to lose weight or joining a club for serious spins or what?

Road cycling with my newly acquired second hand racing bike. Nope not for work or weight loss just for leisure. Would like to be able to eventually do a 100km cycle on a Sunday etc.

Have the bike ready, after getting a helmet, have a kit, need to get shorts and shoes still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You don't need the shoes unless your bike has pedals that need to be clipped in to fitted. Flat pedals and runners are good for starting as being clipped in has a slight learning curve to begin with.
    Definitely get some proper shorts with padding. Don't expect armchair-like comfort, but they will help. Bib shorts are the preferred option by many - they have sewn in straps that go over your shoulders to keep your shorts in place, but you can get some without the straps. A decent jersey (with pockets at the back) and a base layer should be on your list as well.
    The list can be as long or short as you want, but if you get into cycling you'll quickly find that your cycling wardrobe is larger than your normal clothing one (or is that just me??…) once you get a few sets of gear for all the weather possibilities you'll meet.
    If you don't know yet, learn how to fix a puncture. This WILL happen to you at some point, and probably when you're least prepared for it - ie miles from home and in the rain - so you need to be self sufficient.
    youtube has lots of good videos for a lot of cycling topics. I find GCN especially good for these, as well as park tools for maintenance help.

enjoy :)

• Advertisement

Once you have the bike and stuff for punctures then you should be on the road. The rest is nice to have but starting out I'd not worry about shoes and bibs etc just ride the bike and get that stuff when you can. Obviously on a longer spin you'll want to pad your arse and clip in.

I was out for an hour today and didn't bother changing shorts or shoes , my pedals can be used with runners or cycling shoes clipped in. So cargo shorts and sketchers and a long sleeve top with a base layer under it. Good thing there was no sock police around as I'd ankle socks on too :pac:

EDIT: Actually I'd consider glasses essential for keeping the bugs etc out of your eyes even at low speed. They are not just for looking cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

You don't need the shoes unless your bike has pedals that need to be clipped in to fitted. Flat pedals and runners are good for starting as being clipped in has a slight learning curve to begin with.
    Definitely get some proper shorts with padding. Don't expect armchair-like comfort, but they will help. Bib shorts are the preferred option by many - they have sewn in straps that go over your shoulders to keep your shorts in place, but you can get some without the straps. A decent jersey (with pockets at the back) and a base layer should be on your list as well.
    The list can be as long or short as you want, but if you get into cycling you'll quickly find that your cycling wardrobe is larger than your normal clothing one (or is that just me??…) once you get a few sets of gear for all the weather possibilities you'll meet.
    If you don't know yet, learn how to fix a puncture. This WILL happen to you at some point, and probably when you're least prepared for it - ie miles from home and in the rain - so you need to be self sufficient.
    youtube has lots of good videos for a lot of cycling topics. I find GCN especially good for these, as well as park tools for maintenance help.

enjoy :)

Cheers, for the message. Currently my bike has the pedals for the clips. I might just buy flat pedals and put them on just so I can get started.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what pedals are currently on it? if you're not sure, a photo of them will have them identified for you without much fuss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hi all,

Total newbie here and looking to take up cycling. What should I be looking to spend if I want to get a decent road / racing bike ?

I was in 360 in Clontarf last night and they seem to only have hybrid bikes with Flat bars, and a single carbon road bike but that was €€€€€. What is the sweet spot for a starter ?

Also should I go straight for Clip in shoes or graduate into these ?

I will probably join one of the local clubs, but not until i have a bit of basic experience gained.

Tks...

Re-above...

Again a basic question but what do I get different from a racking bike costing say €500 versus one costing €1500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Re-above...

Again a basic question but what do I get different from a racking bike costing say €500 versus one costing €1500 ?

Mostly lighter weight and better components. At €500 you'll be most likely looking at something with an alloy fork and probably Shimano Claris 8 speed groupset - all weighing probably 11kg. €1500 should get you a pretty top of the range alloy (i.e. aluminium) or lower range carbon fibre frame with carbon fibre forks, probably something like a Shimano 105 11 speed groupset, possibly hydraulic disc brakes, and weight in the 8-9kg range. All the above might be stretching €1500 but you'll certainly tick some of the boxes. €1500-€2000 is probably (in my opinion - others on here may well beg to differ :-D) the sweet spot in terms of value for money - above that the sky's the limit and with the exception of electronic shifting is generally diminishing returns.

All that said, I bought a Specialized Allez for €800 on the bike to work scheme 9 years ago, and am still happily riding it having upgraded wheels, pedals, and groupset along the way. It's a more expensive way of ending up at the notional €1500 above, but is another way of doing it if you're unsure you'll like it longterm. Plus with enough use you'll have to replace a lot of bits over the years anyway. Weight also isn't everything, I have a steel framed bike I use for winter and exploring rougher roads which is north of 12kg but still loads of fun

JMcL wrote: »
    Mostly lighter weight and better components. At €500 you'll be most likely looking at something with an alloy fork and probably Shimano Claris 8 speed groupset - all weighing probably 11kg. €1500 should get you a pretty top of the range alloy (i.e. aluminium) or lower range carbon fibre frame with carbon fibre forks, probably something like a Shimano 105 11 speed groupset, possibly hydraulic disc brakes, and weight in the 8-9kg range. All the above might be stretching €1500 but you'll certainly tick some of the boxes. €1500-€2000 is probably (in my opinion - others on here may well beg to differ :-D) the sweet spot in terms of value for money - above that the sky's the limit and with the exception of electronic shifting is generally diminishing returns.

All that said, I bought a Specialized Allez for €800 on the bike to work scheme 9 years ago, and am still happily riding it having upgraded wheels, pedals, and groupset along the way. It's a more expensive way of ending up at the notional €1500 above, but is another way of doing it if you're unsure you'll like it longterm. Plus with enough use you'll have to replace a lot of bits over the years anyway. Weight also isn't everything, I have a steel framed bike I use for winter and exploring rougher roads which is north of 12kg but still loads of fun

Thanks JMcL,

You mentioned weight there several times... Im lucky to be able to spend a bit on this, so should i just aim for the lightest option for a particular cost bracket ?

Surely 1-2kg will not make to much difference, given that on my long runs for DCM I could loose 1-2 kg in 2 hours anyway ? What Im saying is, should bike weight be the deciding factor ?

To fully explain, I'm getting on a bit and been running for 15 years at a decent competitive level. Knee / general joint stress is pushing me to cycling. When I do give up the running, probably this year, i will hit the cycling pretty hard so need something that I can rely on for longer spins / sportive's / rings etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have a bike weighing about 8kg and one weighing about 11kg. The difference in speed unless doing a lot of hill climbing is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Thanks JMcL,

You mentioned weight there several times... Im lucky to be able to spend a bit on this, so should i just aim for the lightest option for a particular cost bracket ?

Surely 1-2kg will not make to much difference, given that on my long runs for DCM I could loose 1-2 kg in 2 hours anyway ? What Im saying is, should bike weight be the deciding factor ?

To fully explain, I'm getting on a bit and been running for 15 years at a decent competitive level. Knee / general joint stress is pushing me to cycling. When I do give up the running, probably this year, i will hit the cycling pretty hard so need something that I can rely on for longer spins / sportive's / rings etc.

I wouldn't really worry too much about bike weight if you're just getting into it. For most people it's a cheaper and long term better solution to shed 3kg from the rider than the bike. When you get below about 8kg every extra gram is going to start costing. Just as a general indicator entry level Specialized Allez E5 and Giant Contend 1 are both around the 9.5kg mark, and both come in around the €8-900 ballpark, both are fine bikes, and a lot of weight will be probably in the wheelsets which would be my recommendation as first thing to upgrade when you've decided you like it. (Not saying get one of those necessarily though they're both grand bikes)

You mention your knees - you should pay attention to the gearing. Most cheaper bikes will have a compact 34/50 crankset (the number of cogs respectively on the small and big chainwheels on the front), but pay attention to the cassette. You want to look for one that has at least 28 teeth in the smallest gear (i.e. biggest cog on the cassette), if you live somewhere hilly I'd think about 30 or even 32 (with a 34 tooth cassette and 34 tooth inner ring every turn of the pedals will equate to one full wheel rotation) - your knees will thank you for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

EDIT: Actually I'd consider glasses essential for keeping the bugs etc out of your eyes even at low speed. They are not just for looking cool.

As a corollary to that I have discovered that cycling with the mouth too open is a recipe for disaster...or extra protein :o

Hi all,

Total newbie here and looking to take up cycling. What should I be looking to spend if I want to get a decent road / racing bike ?

I was in 360 in Clontarf last night and they seem to only have hybrid bikes with Flat bars, and a single carbon road bike but that was €€€€€. What is the sweet spot for a starter ?

Also should I go straight for Clip in shoes or graduate into these ?

I will probably join one of the local clubs, but not until i have a bit of basic experience gained.

Tks...

Look at adverts for used bikes - I got a bike with upgraded components that probably cost the owner €3000+ for 330 euro - all carbon fibre, €600 wheels, €1000 shimano components (back in the day) etc.

Amazing value in 2nd hand - and I think if you buy from an athlete who is into and loves their bikes you often get them in top condition (they treat their bikes with care and service them appropriately vs the guy tossing it in the leaky shed).

And hey if you love cycling great you can upgrade the 330 bike with even better components...if not I think you won't make too much of a loss selling it on (vs buying a new carbon fibre racer etc.)

Only thing is you won't enjoy the new bike smell (is that even a thing?) and it's unlikely to be in perfect cosmetic condition - but hey for a 90% discount I'm perfectly happy with that.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads, as Thirdfox suggested Im going to check the Adverts for a few weeks and see if there is a quality used bike available. If not ill make the jump anyway.

Last word and regarding size of Frame Im 5:10 what should i look for, or just go and see if it fits on the day ?

Picked up my new bike yesterday. I eventually went for a Cube Attain from the Cycle superstore via the bike to work scheme.

Went out for my first cycle in probably 25+ years last night. Shaky as hell, and as nervous as I was starting to drive.

Got in a whole 10K, mostly on the cycle track around Raheny, and the causeway road to Dollymount.

Unfortunately had a crash towards the end, as i just lost control, trying to avoid walkers on the bike lane.

Still going to hit the training hard for the next 2-3 weeks, and have registered for the Dublin Bike ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok Background.

I'm sure cycling forum sick of these lads back on bikes after years off it and asking daft question , can't stay straight on the road and are a a pain in the hole and have a pain in the hole.

Anyway - spent the last few years trying to master golf and did ok getting down to a handicap below 5 , hitting a bit of a wall there.

Then a few people close to me got sick, one passing away. It knocked the bollix out of me to be honest. I lost a bit of motivation, put on weight and lost a bit of direction.

Did a bit of cycling in my early 30s and got to an ok level , Wicklow 100. Was never a mad fan of long long cycles and 40 to 60 Km was always my favorite distance.

Used the golf forum as a fantastic location for information and to be honest motivation to hit goals, met great friends over there and had a great laugh with it.

I'm very very goal orientated and get very motivated by a target.

So what is my target ?, I'm not sure I fully know this yet,,, but........

Goals
    Improve overall fitness
    lose 15 kg +
    Cycle Hill of Howth both direction in one go.
    Get up to a 60 km cycle (may add a time here)

Bad outcome
    Injury / fall
    Anything to interfere with golf (still core sport)

Day 1 (was last week)

Son back in school , so by basically no choice, accident , I had to pull out the 10 year old racer (Terry Dolan (mid lower range)) , get back in order (can do this kind of stuff myself) work everything out again and back on the road.

enjoyed the short cycle (except the bus lanes a bit crazy) and decided to just keep going , was like Forrest Gump, out to the north coast road along the Clontarf Cycle lane (luxury stuff). It is a fantastic job they have done. You remember the wind on your back , the sun out and world seems perfect for a day. Eventually with almost everyone passing me by I got to Sutton. I sat with the wealthy , retired and had a coffee out there. A new culture that wasn't as prominent 10 years ago when I last cycled out there.

Sitting in Sutton for one mad moment I asked myself will I go on, no, that would be a bit mad for day 1. I turned and cycled the same route into the wind this time and it was horrible hard and I suddenly remembered what proper cycling shorts are about, as I half stood and tried to get up off the seat. Pathetic, a very short ride.

A few days after , I sort of felt my hamstrings a bit tight , lower back a bit stiff - seems nuts , could have been something else.

Day 2 (Today)

Cycled daughter to School - proper clothing shorts on , drink etc - but decided not to clip in , long time off bike, so just want to ease into handling etc. Set out with no real plan and that is probably a bad start. From Raheny hit Baldoyle , Sutton, then into Howth. As I hit Howth , i got great flashbacks of my past golfing and cycling and great days with people passed on and the dart, and the food out there and the pubs. I also had a bad fall as you turn up the hill there once on an Oil Spill , I think it knocked a bit of confidence out of me. But anyway - the past. For some daft reason and perhaps muscles and mind memory I just kept going , straight up the hill - was crazy. Hit the church and forgot how serious a drag it was - hit the wall :D, stopped heart head everything in pain. What the hell am I doing. I decided to walk a bit, yes walk with a bike. What a facepalm :D:eek:.

Lads in all the gear were flying by , men in 50s/60s looking at me pushing a bike up Howth Head (laughing too) , a head and arse the size of Howth head . After recovery got back on and off a few time and eventually hit the summit and went up to the upper summit for the view of the lighthouse.

Tourisits and cyclists up admiring the great windy view.

At least it is all downhill now. I jumped back on and enjoyed the force of gravity with my mass advantage. I hit 45 kph , but hit the brakes a bit , too early for that stuff. Hit the coast again and that horrible wind.

Total 27 km on day 2.

I'm back - started all wrong - but the hardest part is the start.

Was talking to a golf friend , told him I'm back on the bike over a few pints. He said it is useless for losing weight , "good for power" , "but you got to get to the gym and high cardio for weight ". I'm not sure , golfers talk a lot of **** over pints. :D

Sorry for long post,

Any tips useful , how do I ease in in a more sensible way and any core stuff I should do to avoid injury , lower back and legs ?

Fix.

Was talking to a golf friend , told him I'm back on the bike over a few pints. He said it is useless for losing weight , "good for power" , "but you got to get to the gym and high cardio for weight ". I'm not sure , golfers talk a lot of **** over pints. :D
    i know YMMV, but i lost about 10% of my body weight after getting back into cycling again; went from 80KG to about 72KG - and that was without any change in diet.

i know YMMV, but i lost about 10% of my body weight after getting back into cycling again; went from 80KG to about 72KG - and that was without any change in diet.

Yes - was thinking , use energy lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yes - was thinking , use energy lose weight.

Or, in my case, use energy, pull chair up to fridge when I get home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea I went from about 105 to 92kg in the space of a year commuting with no change in diet. However I was doing literally no exercise for a year or so prior to that.

Yea I went from about 105 to 92kg in the space of a year commuting with no change in diet. However I was doing literally no exercise for a year or so prior to that.

distance per week.

suppose that is two cycles a day for 5 days . And a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

distance per week.

suppose that is two cycles a day for 5 days . And a year.

A bit over 100km a week so nothing significant.

• Advertisement

that's maybe five hours, at 400 calories an hours, it's the guts of a day's normal calorie intake.

Advertisement