Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to cycle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

that's maybe five hours, at 400 calories an hours, it's the guts of a day's normal calorie intake.

Jesus it's mad when you put it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well , week 2.

Got out for 2 very short cycles and then 1 big one (for me) today.

A few things in preparation that I learned from last time. I left it till about 2 hours after eating before I went out, last time was eat and straight out. I also had better clothing and got clipped in for the first time in about 8 years.

And what a joy to be clipped in again, a bit nervous at start, but everything about it was so much better, the power felt. That sense of a continuous power and that pull I didn't have last time.

When I got home I did loosen the clips a little as was a bit slow to get out at traffic lights a few times.

I also set out with a better plan - 10% extra distance and go to the softer side of Howth Head and do not go all the way up.

The conditions today were fantastic, the usual coastil wind , but the perfect temperature between summer and winter , I guess you could call it autumnal bliss.

A couple of observations on cycling, as fresh eyes back to cycling after 8 years. There has been great effort on some NEW infrastructure , but the old stuff with the red surfaces are at this stage, in a pathetic condition. We need to maintain what we have too, and all that stuff from the what the early 2000s ? needs a full revamp.

I know this may come as a shock to the cycling forum , but I find 90 % of drivers unbelievably respectful of cyclists versus what I remember, adds on tv must have worked. The amount of people on mobile phones is unreal and you see it more on a bike.

Such an enjoyable day. I think I could have pushed myself a bit more up the hill ( I went about 50% of the way), but said I wanted to finish the day feeling good this time versus the overreaching first time out.

Except on howth head, I decided to not let bike ever fall below 20 kph, I know this is pathetic , but one step at a time , I'll work this figure up to 30 kph as the weeks go by. First time out i noticed how easy it is just to be floating along below 20 kph and its hardly exercise at all.

So 33 km. A very gentle cycle , but said I better be more sensible , ease myself back in and see where the bike takes me.

I think I did notice I was cycling with far too much dominance on right leg, I tried working my left leg a bit more for a while (is there such an exercise for your weaker leg?)

Target for next week hit 40km on one spin and 75 % up Howth Hill Sutton Side.

I'm still probably setting targets too demanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know this may come as a shock to the cycling forum , but I find 90 % of drivers unbelievably respectful of cyclists
    to be fair, i don't think you'll get much argument on that here. the vast majority of drivers are fine; it's the 5% or 10% who are not which gives us cause to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The terrible driving is commuter runs at rush hour. Outside that you see a lot less shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

to be fair, i don't think you'll get much argument on that here. the vast majority of drivers are fine; it's the 5% or 10% who are not which gives us cause to moan.

While there is some truth to this, it's worth remembering that RSA research shows that four out of five drivers break speed limits. The recent Liberty survey shows that the majority of drivers use their mobile phones at the wheel.

ED E wrote: »
    The terrible driving is commuter runs at rush hour. Outside that you see a lot less shenanigans.
    I'm not so sure. In slower, heavier traffic, I see more drivers on their phones, probably due to the sheer boredom of car commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

On golf and cycling......

It’s hard to find the time to do both.

Like you I put a fair bit of effort into golf and played off as low as 6. I took up cycling for a new diversion and almost dropped playing golf altogether except maybe 4-5 rounds a year. I thought my golf form would hold as I reckoned I had a really good understanding of the fundamentals. Sadly it has slipped away, more so in the wedge play than anything else.

So if you want to hold on to your golf form then you need to devote equal time to both I reckon. And that is hard to do if you are goal orientated and you take on a new activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

no doubt cycling can be very time consuming if you really get into it unless you are semi retired being good at golf as well as cycling must be near impossible might be a reason for some good bike for sale now and then .

An update.

What a crazy year - can't believe I posted a year ago. I had great plans to get to serious targets a year ago - then bang , covid, work, life, kids off school.

The good news - I'm back on the bike in a big way again and just this week hit over the 100 km in the week . I know this is not much from reading around here. But considering I was coming from a low enough base . I'm delighted to hit the 100 km.

I'm hoping to make this 150 km this week and work towards 200 km in the next month.

I got seriously going again once kids got back to school. I was cycling with them but covid cycling with kids - is kind of useless for core fitness.

My target was to do a wicklow 100/200 - and not sure where that is now ?
    I'd consider something different if any ideas.

This is my first real winter cycling - I've all the gear and have been pleasantly surprised how manageable it is - was even out today in the wild wind , but was bizarrely pleasant

Obvioulsy the 5 km - is a bit of a nightmare - but I can cycle to work and this is helping with the kms and with the boredom. I'm dying to hit the hills in Wicklow or Howth.

Before the lockdown - I had climbed Howth head 3 times. Was getting easier each time. Slow and everyone bombs past me. But I'm probably 30 kg heavier :D

I've watched a few you tube videos and I'll be honest , to lose weight cycling you need to put in serious time and effort. These people are talking years with good KMs.

Saw a great tip - just enjoy the journey and let the rest happen. And just loving the new / renewed feeling of being out in the open and seeing the world on a bike. We are doing a great job of learning to use our city and coast - and whilst a long way to go - the infrastructure is coming.

I had a weak moment during the week and started looking at 2nd hand bikes - my bike is 15 years old - but A Terry Dolan TC2 compact - alloy frame carbon forks - 105 group set. I've forgotten how much I spent on it (about 1600 euro). I'd love to even try a bike at a higher spec , but gave myself a chat and said - put in the big kms over a few months - lose about 5 kg more and then see how I feel.

But I do love love the look of the new bikes - but not sure where my bank would rank in modern equivalent.

I also realized how slow I'm going - in wind in winter - I think my average is about 20kph - people just flying by me. It is all way to casual and I need to put way more effort into my cycle. I go for the odd dart and run with favorable conditions.

Anyway - onwards and upwards . looking forward to the next week, but again maybe I've been lucky with the temperatures.
    Or maybe my 10 years of golf have me just better clothed and more ready for what this crazy , wonderful world can throw at me.

Howth Head twice in one go my next big target. When I can do that , I don't know. December 1st

Any tips welcome.

I think I may have to get a fixed trainer for the shed at this time of year / covid distance restrictions.

indoor trainer is handy to have will mean you should be able to do a bit each day even though it can i feel be a bit tedious at times i listen to music while i do it .You do not need a high spec one to get your fitness up if you do get one you have to use a different tyre on your trainer to the one you use on the road you may get a spare wheel unless you want to swop over the tyre each time .The trainers are hard on tyres so unless you have several part used tyres you should buy a trainer tyre .A second hand rear wheel you can use for the trainer is the easiest if you are going out on the road and using the trainer .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Not a fan of indoor training. Depending on where you live, you can still get plenty of cycling done within a 5k radius. I've used strava to map out a route that takes in every road within my 5k radius. Total distance is 96k! It can be done.

• Advertisement

Mainly from a weather point of view or when the roads get a bit slippy that i think a trainer can keep you ticking over that is why a basic one is all i have i much prefer to go out on the road .It also might depend on time available to go out .

Mainly from a weather point of view or when the roads get a bit slippy that i think a trainer can keep you ticking over that is why a basic one is all i have i much prefer to go out on the road .It also might depend on time available to go out .

On this.

Anyone any comments on what sort of KMs I should be targeting - to get to a sort of intermediate level , from where I am now (70 to 100 km a week)

Also - I haven't a clue about winter cycling - I have slight groves (very slight on my tyres) - should I deficiently change these for winter.

I guess I'll call into 360 Cycles in Clontarf have them take a look.

Also - one last question - what sort of price range is my bike new this day an age.

To be honest - I don't know anyone into road cycling - everyone I know is a golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bikes don't aquaplane, tread doesn't matter. The type of rubber used can make an impact. Gators are like ice skates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

On this.

Anyone any comments on what sort of KMs I should be targeting - to get to a sort of intermediate level , from where I am now (70 to 100 km a week)

Also - I haven't a clue about winter cycling - I have slight groves (very slight on my tyres) - should I deficiently change these for winter.

Also - one last question - what sort of price range is my bike new this day an age.

To be honest - I don't know anyone into road cycling - everyone I know is a golfer.

How much free time have you? If you want to improve your fitness from a low level there's no secret way of doing it, just ride more, if you start to feel tired take a few days off or very easy then kick on again. Two things will happen, your average speed will increase and the time you can sustain it for will increase.

In non covid times I'd advise joining a local club, the company makes things go easier but that's not going to be an option for a while, use the time to get your basic fitness up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What are you able to allocate to cycling?
    It's not all about distance. For some people its elevation (doing lots and lots of hills). For others its simply about being out in the fresh air, taking in the views that you never see when you're driving.
    Assuming that you live in or around Clontarf, then make use of the Sutton to Clontarf cycle track. You should easily be able to do that a few times a week. Have you considered Howth (maybe start by going up and down on the Graveyard side)?
    Can you commute by bike once or twice a week?
    I'm on Schwalbe Ones and they're fine in this weather but thre are loads of brands and "models". Talk to your LBS and see what they advise for you.
    More importantly, make sure that your clothing keeps you warm and dry. In my view, rain is fine but the wind is what makes a ride difficult for me.
    Good idea.
    We're here to help also if you have any questions.
    How long is a piece of string.
    Depends on brand, build type (road or mountain or hybrid), aluminium or carbon fibre build, wheels, groupset (chainset and brakes) e.g. Shimano 105 or Shimano Ultegra or whatever
    As already mentioned, once the lockdown is over, contact your local cycling club. You'll meet a load of like-minded people living in your area and you can learn loads from them. It's good craic being in a club.

Much appreciate the help and feedback. I got the same good will and help on golf forum when I took on a similar goal.

On the target - I've done Howth head a few times - and think I need something much bigger to work towards - maybe the Wicklow 200 makes most sense.

I'm not a complete beginner - so thread title probably not the right one. I'm returning to cycling.

I might start my own thread.

Again thanks to all.

Of course did the daft thing and went out and got a new (2nd hand bike) think it was a great deal.
    Dolan Le'Tepe Carbon Ultegra group set - was only about 500 km on bike and was 1100 euro.

I'm delighted with myself. Got out for 30 km on it - but were horrendous conditions.

nilhg wrote: »
    How much free time have you? If you want to improve your fitness from a low level there's no secret way of doing it, just ride more, if you start to feel tired take a few days off or very easy then kick on again. Two things will happen, your average speed will increase and the time you can sustain it for will increase.

In non covid times I'd advise joining a local club, the company makes things go easier but that's not going to be an option for a while, use the time to get your basic fitness up.

I think I have about 10 hours a week.

I'm thinking I should be able to get up to 200 km in that time.

Looks like a nice bike based on the ad up on adverts.ie.
    I'd still recommend that you make contact with your localk cycling club though. Makes a spin more social and you'll learn lots from more experienced riders.

Looks like a nice bike based on the ad up on adverts.ie.
    I'd still recommend that you make contact with your localk cycling club though. Makes a spin more social and you'll learn lots from more experienced riders.

I will do.

I'm fairly used to solo practice from golf and probably feel too slow to be in a club.

But will check it out.

What sort of average speed do clubs do - on a group cycle ?

200km will be tough going and will take about 8-10 hours.
    If you're still relatively new to it, then maybe set more achievable goals. Maybe get a few 100km spins done before looking at doubling it.

• Advertisement

I will do.

I'm fairly used to solo practice from golf and probably feel too slow to be in a club.

But will check it out.

What sort of average speed do clubs do - on a group cycle ?
    I'm a member of a club but the principals apply to other clubs.
    My club has various levels depending on experience and stamina. You might have a couple of spins in an intro group which may (or may not) be a little slow for you but it will help you get used to riding in a group.
    The next level is our 60km group and they go out at about 24km/h for 60 or 70kms.
    Then you have the Sportive group which would travel at about 26km/h for 70 to 80kms.
    The Inters group would move a bit faster for longer and above that you have a racing group.
    Clubs will head out on a Saturday or Sunday with some ad hoc spins during the week amongst members (really during the summer). Many of my own club are still "meeting up" online and doing virtual spins together but that's another thing altogether.
    There's no pressure on heading out (it's not mandatory) - it's meant to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think I have about 10 hours a week.

200km a week is 10400km a year, you won't know yourself if you can consistently knock out those types of kms, and like training for anything, being consistent is the key.

Best of luck with it, hopefully there'll be a 2021 WW200, I'm sure you'll have a great day out, it's a great event.

If you're still relatively new to it, then maybe set more achievable goals. Maybe get a few 100km spins done before looking at doubling it.

Agree..200 is tough at this time of year. Especially when you've just bought a new bike!

OP, that Dolan is a beauty.. look after it! If you do go out on a cold wet dark winters day, wash the bike as soon as you get home. And If you go out on roads that have been gritted, ALWAYS wash and relube your bike as soon as you get home as that grit eats metal! (Chains, cassettes etc.)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agree..200 is tough at this time of year. Especially when you've just bought a new bike!

OP, that Dolan is a beauty.. look after it! If you do go out on a cold wet dark winters day, wash the bike as soon as you get home. And If you go out on roads that have been gritted, ALWAYS wash and relube your bike as soon as you get home as that grit eats metal! (Chains, cassettes etc.)

Thanks for help and pms.

It looks a bargain - well, not fully because of a very low price - but more that it looks and is brand new , with little to less than 1000 km.

Stem is too long - but other than that, seems perfect. Going to change stem and can't wait. It feels unreal. Even if today was not a great judge of anything.

I also feel I just have more power in legs after putting in about 250 kms over last 3 weeks.

Changed shoes and cleats too - I'm probably changing too much. But I'm mechanically inclined and like gear on nicer side if not top of the range daft price.

On cleaning bike - I'll be honest I would not have been inclined to wash after a cold wet day - but I have never done winter or bad weather cycling , so all new to me.

I'm finding You Tube unreal for stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Decided to get bike serviced - even if kms were small , i could feel maybe the cables , brakes , gears were not perfect and had not been touch out of the box.

I was going to change stem myself , but said I'd better let the service guy do that - as looks a little more complex and I'd be nervous of working with carbon fibre starting out.

Yes it sounds maybe a bit too much.

Maybe Wicklow 100 - but I will see how I get on. When golf is back I'll be lucky to get 100 km in a week.

Is there any event in between 100/200 - on east coast.

unlikely any cycle events will take place until late 2021. (Due to Covid 19)

I suggest you join a cycling club as a lot of clubs will at least have group spins which will definitely take place next year. I can see a lot of clubs organising closed events next year which will only be open to club members (as all participants will have to be registered for contact tracing etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm finding You Tube unreal for stuff like that.

Check out Francis Cade on youtube. Bike fit Tuesdays.
    Lot of info on getting right on the bike.
    Also one of his video gives a very handy bike wash.
    Mainly a quick wash and a load of GT85 on a rag.

Well things are happening quick - too quick perhaps.

I'm very very lucky with my 5 km - bringing in full coastal cycle route around to the fantastic new piece from Baldoyle to Portmarnock.

So set out to hit 50 km for the first time. I know this is not up there , but decided to give it a little more effort too. New bike , new shoes , new cleats , probably way too much new.

Hit the coast and , what a day , nice wind on your back on the Clontarf front, there is nothing like that run, when like that. It really would make you fall in love with cycling. But of course , for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

For all the giving out we do , the new greenway in Baldoyle , must be the best piece of cycling infrastructure (since Clontarf was finished) . The one positive about Covid , is the way it has made us (me included) , look again at our city and what we could do. We really need to ramp these projects up and see can we cover the full coast - The Greens need to make their mark , but in fairness these things have become mainstream politics now.

Anyway - about 30 mins in - I have to say it is the best I have felt on the bike, much higher speed (I still don't have any measuring device) - but you just know. The new carbon frame is a pleasure - and you feel the advantage more on our bad old Irish roads versus the newer ones (much softer ride) - Jesus some of our surfaces are from the 60s / 70s still , the old coarse tar and expansion joint concrete roads. Incredible stuff really , terrible.

I said I would try sustain a good effort for at least 75min hour, but at about 1 hour and a bit, i started feeling it. Just a bit , I don't know , a bit "wallish" . I was starting to slow, and going to that pace that is just a joke to be honest, almost below exercise level.

I stopped for a second - to try a new stiffness on the Look Kleo 2 max , I'm finding it a little hard to get out and a little hard to get in - but maybe I'm just not use to shape and the newness of what a tight cleat should feel like.

It was an interesting day temperature wise, perfect with the wind behind you and sun out, but genuinely winterly within shade and minutes. I genuinely loved it. I have great gear from golf - and have been using it to keep warm , it all seems good so far. Feet got cold. Not sure if this is circulation or just cold.

At about 90 mins stopped for a coffee and a bun - and good , it is the best experience I got from a drink and food in a long time, proper need as opposed to just eating.

The weather has changed and it was great to see people out enjoying the day - yes it is probably now slightly more hardened outdoor people. As I looked in the sea I could see a few people swimming without any wetsuits - :eek: . Me rather pathetically feeling sorry for me poor little feet :D.

I'm riding with no phone (nowhere I'd like to put it yet) , no speedometer, no watch. Bizarre and an almost technology detox during my ride. I've actually enjoyed that part - but it is utterly impractical and off another century.

I was asking a few people the time , they have almost never heard that question before. I realized I was a bit late to pick up daughter - and for the last 10 km had to put the hammer down to pick up daughter from school.
    I got there just in time. Was glad I could do that - but I was wrecked after.

I got home - not saying I was ill, but felt very cold, very exhausted and was almost stuck to the chair for 1 hour. Was definitely the biggest day on bike yet.

I had a mild pain between shoulders - and very slight headache.

I realized I'm probably pushing too hard too fast too early.

I'm up to 120 km this week already , I think I'll take a rest for a day or two - or maybe a few 10/15 km days.

But like a drug at present. But need to calm a good bit.

So 53km
    3 hours total with break

Speed unknow - but mathematically 22 kph. :D

Thanks for all feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

You should always carry your phone for safety reasons.
    you never know when you will have an accident or puncture and need to call for help

• Advertisement

It seems you went a bit hard too soon easy to get caught up with the new bike but most people will advise to aim for steady progress with effort speed and distance. It will take only a couple of weeks for you to see real improvement and then you can tackle spins with no problem . Good luck it's a great hobby .

Advertisement