Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to cycle

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fair play FixdePitchmark.
    In terms of the wall, stick to a pace that you can manage but make sure that you have the energy to keep it up. If I'm out for morebthannan hour, I'll have a banana In my pocket (some people use energy gels but I'm not a fan of them).
    I wouldn't worry about the need for a break. We all do from time to time. I was out for nearly two hours and paused twice for snacks (banana break and granola bar break). It was planned though. I assume you brought a drink with you (If not then do!).

I'd second the advice to bring your phone as well as a few bits and pieces including a spare tube, tyre levers, a few latex gloves and a pump.
    You may not have a cycling jersey (which woukd have a few pockets on the back) but if recommend picking up one or two.

You can get a plastic tool keg to store bits and pieces and it fits into a bottle cage onnyour bike (assuming you have two fitted).
    Something like this (although I got one in my LBS for €6: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104492

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Always great to read people’s report of going out on their new bike for the first time! As for stopping for coffee and cake....that’s a must! I’d be upset if you didn’t! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone recommend any program or how I should progress distance.

Again I'm not a complete beginner but not fit yet - but I guess something like a Wicklow 200 program might have me focus on rest / and long / short runs - and I know little about intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ya gotta get a Garmin!

The WW200 is an endurance event, so your well on your way.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/training-plan/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/sports-recreation/cIntoSports-p0.html

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ya gotta get a Garmin!

The WW200 is an endurance event, so your well on your way.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/training-plan/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/sports-recreation/cIntoSports-p0.html

Was thinking with apps these days - the phone on a custom made stand (if there is an all weather one) - must be as good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

I've never stopped for a coffee and cake while out in a cycle...just sayin'

As for a Garmin unit vs your phone, initially I used my phone, but a dedicated unit has better battery life, fit cleaner on the handlebars, and generally does a better job of tracking your data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Was thinking with apps these days - the phone on a custom made stand (if there is an all weather one) - must be as good ?

I was using my phone but ordered a cycling computer. Thing about the phone is it drains the battery fast when the screen is always on and I got a bit worried about damaging it from the vibrations and rain

But if your happy to use your phone there are plenty of cheap mounts out there that do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd not be so fast to go all technological.

I also love the "tech detox".

I bring a phone. When leaving I tell samsung health that I'm cycling. Phone goes in back pocket (in a zip lock) until I'm finished. Then I tell the app I'm finished.

App is muted throughout.
    But I've the phone if I have a mechanical or get badly lost. Even when only a bit lost I often cycle on for the craic.

Later on or next day can download the file and stick on strava or whatever.

No cycling computer, no phone mount, no checking pace or speed or times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

My experience with mounting the phone on handlebars is that rain will play havoc with it - even if it's in a waterproof case due to humidity, I had a torrid time on a long wet spin down near Bordeaux a few years ago trying to use the phone to navigate. I was getting false inputs all over the place and the phone was essentially unusable. Had similar over the summer on a wet spin up in Donegal/Derry.

Long term I'd look at getting a Garmin or similar if I were you for the reasons others have mentioned. There're good offers to be found regularly and are usually flagged up here in the bargain alerts thread

So definitely suffering from a bit of excessive enthusiasm. But when I take a project on - I'm a bit like that.

I always loved cycling anyway, even followed pro game a good bit , till Armstrong fecked that up - but it sort of fell out of my life from the early 30s. Kids , then golf, career etc. I love golf and will be part of my life when covid is over and will be part of my life for the rest of it. But was getting very unfit - too fond of the food and pints involved.

I took a day off after my excessive effort during the week. I know I'm still at a fairly easy effort and not massive KMs - but I need to just build slow and as people have said - maintain the effort.

I went out for 40 kms today - again , pace a bit too slow, but slightly increasing effort each time. I'm up to 160 km for the week. Unfortunately due to a few things with family and work - next week will not be a high km week (outdoor anyway) - but will try hit stationary trainer a few times - to a least get > 125 kms indoor. Maybe more.

Have been watching a good few you tube videos on everything. :D - Good bit on bike set up , interesting topic. I think my seat height a little bit low. But sort of thing I'll get someone to look at when ever that is possible again.

Again - just lucky with route I have in the 5km - but I'm not sure most cyclists pay heed to it ;)
    The Baldoyle - Portmarnock path is fantastic - just seems to end nowhere , would be great if the full coast was done - but these projects seem to take forever to get past all the various stakeholders. We seem to be moving in the right direction - but would be great , if it was all linked up all the way to swords / Donabate. Don't get me wrong - I'm a die hard motorist , but you see the city a different way the more you cycle.

Anyway - set the new shoes a little looser to try see if that helped with cold feet / circulation in toes. Seen this on a video - it seemed to be a little better but still getting cold feet. I noticed how i feel the best on the bike from about 45 mins to 1 hour 15 - then have a dip and finish well. I know it is only a 2 hour cycle and I'm going on as if a Tour de France :D. But just trying to get a feel for my body.

Again - all about set up , but noticing a slight pain between shoulder blades , was concerned that my stem a little too long, but I think I'm just not fit enough yet, still too heavy and need a goof few more KMs on the bike till I know where I am.

The bike is class - just so soft , but responsive - getting a little more confident with handling.

But I just can not seem to find the peddles / clips as fast as I could on older ones. Can't put my (foot) on it. Like my foot not pointed enough as i approach clip. Annoying and very amateur looking. I could just be on the wrong company - or my old ones were so worn it made life too easy.

I didn't know what winter cycling was like - but I've found it remarkably fine.
    The only thing is the cold feet - but that is manageable .

Early days yet - but I suppose I'm about 3 weeks in. The positive is - I genuinely feel a bit more strength in the legs - and It looks like I've lost about 2 KGs. I had a few beers last night - but trying to reduce that a good bit.

It really is a beautiful sport - that I remember, but fell out of love with.

• Advertisement

In terms of your cold feet, are you just wearing socks and shoes?
    Overshoes (preferably) or toe covers will help keep the wind chill off. Some also recommend putting a plastic bag over your socks.
    The advantage of overshoes is that they (usually) are waterproof so your feet will stay warm and dry in most wet conditions

In terms of your cold feet, are you just wearing socks and shoes?
    Overshoes (preferably) or toe covers will help keep the wind chill off. Some also recommend putting a plastic bag over your socks.
    The advantage of overshoes is that they (usually) are waterproof so your feet will stay warm and dry in most wet conditions

I tried two socks. One pair today.

I might have to buy them overshoes. Look like something that would not be out of place on Apollo 13.

Those ones above are real fancy smancy. CSS and other shops do loads of more regular looking ones...
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=203

Well what a week - last cycle today this week - as taking a day off tomorrow as having a few beers on zoom tonight.

Was a lovely day today - so dropped a layer and just to have a datum - brought phone with an app on , to see where I am cycling wise. I'll post at end and any feedback welcome , even if you say that is pathetically slow :D

Said I would try to go that 5 - 10 % extra , keep speed up. I'm not racing other cyclist (well I guess we always are) - but can see where I am, I've been looking at the wonderful and varied people you see out there. You have the guys that look actually better equipped than a professional (in fact, maybe some are top level amateurs) - they just fly by , another planet. You have people on road bikes at decent pace , then you have hybrids and very fit people on them, then you have people that are just out for a very relaxed cycle (Me a month ago). A new concept to me is - the electric bike , these seem to disturb the natural pecking order of cycling :D

Anyway - fair play to them all , doing something , dealing with our world we are in. In the past I'd be at home watching whatever sport I could find (and 80 % of it - was just to pass time).

As it was my last cycle of the week - I said to myself try break that sort of 40 to 50 km barrier I'm at. I'll admit I've found that hard. 90 mins is fine on a bike - but there is something different going on when in the 2 to 3 hour range. I'm not fully hardened to it (will I ever ?) , you are getting a bit uncomfortable in places that shouldn't be. Yes, a bit of movement and you can get yourself back in order. But what must 4/5 hours be like :eek:
    What the hell are the big 200 km cycles about :eek:

I was thinking as you can on a bike (whilst listen to music (a first) - how was my base fitness sort of ok. I guess covid helped , but in Jan / Feb of this year I was going to the gym about 3 times a week - and every time I would do one hour on the bike. It makes sense there seem to be a bit of power there and reasonable fitness. I pushed it a little and actually for the first time in a while, felt a bit of heat in upper body. Again - I'm not exactly going fast , but I noticed again at about 2 hours I start to hit a bit of a wall - my feet were getting cold again - and tried a few tips for circulation. My speed was dropping , effort too - and a slight drag was a bit depressing as a kid cycled past with no hands on a mountain bike :D:p:p .

Anyway , I've been going down backroads and slightly more dangerous roads , dropped the music for this. To get the higher KMs up you need to go the roads a bit less travelled and this helps to get away from Saturday traffic.

So a very enjoyable day - felt a little bit of tighness in my hamstring and pulled back a bit - not an injury , just a bit more distance, effort and was a bit hungry .
    Finished with the wind on my back - and flying down the Clontarf front - great to see it being used , but I prefer a mid week day. There seems to be too many competing users on that path at a weekend and with covid. Walkers, fast cyclists , electric skateboards, kids , prams , angry road racers, wheelchairs , dogs. It is amazing there isn't more accidents to be honest. I'm beginning to see that some more serious cyclists don't even use cycle paths.

So today

61.7 KM - longest cycle yet
    2 hrs 51m
    Average speed 21.7 kph (went into a park a few roads that were just pace killers - a good bit of traffic etc)

I'm 7 kgs off my initial target.

A good few beers tonight (trying to lay off that - but event on)
    Not sure how beers and cycling work - looking at some of these lads go by , I'm not sure it goes at all.

Anyway - fantastic week - probably a bit too much too soon. But again , I seem to have a decent base - an odd gift from covid cycling.

Thanks for all the tips and help - my feet only feel about right now.

This Week Total = 265 km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

well done that is a good total for the week its always going to difficult i think to get your speed average up when you have to mingle with traffic so do not get too concerned with that in case you might get tempted to take a chance on occasions .Obviously far easier to go flat out on quiet roads away from much traffic with fewer hazards around .keep it up doing well .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Noted one little thing
    You were getting hungry

Get used to eating on the bike.
    If you're out for over 90 mins you need food
    Get to lidl or aldi and get some raw bars or something.
    Or bring a banana or two.

I try to get an item of food in per hour.
    I also try to get a bottle (500mm) in every hour. Can't manage this in winter.
    Eat and drink before hungry or thirsty.
    Little and often

Another great week - and got way more in than expected. With work next week and daylight will be an issue - but set up now for stationary training (if I have found that very very hard)

Same sort of coastal route out to Portmarnock , a few new back roads , got an app too - so can see my general speed. This has gone up to 20.6 KPH average. I know still very slow - but this is over longer rides and complex enough routes with train crossings and roadworks and school runs and traffic. This is 2 KPH up on even 2 weeks ago.

Over one 17 minute period I was able to sustain 28 KPH - and this was a bit of fun. Able to actaully hang in their with full out road cyclists - but not the lads who are as thin as the bike :D. Still unreal to see a real cyclist go by , must be going about 34/35 kph.

I know all academic for my level , but I like data to review performance.

I noticed I'm fairly comfortable now for the first two hours, very enjoyable actually - but from then on there is a dip. And then I seem to finish strong.

Then suddenly it was dark , there is a certain change out there now - temperature were fantastic this week - but light is fading, a darkness, a wind and a threat of cold.

The one positive is, you have the paths to yourself now, the summer crowd and covid crowd have retreated , people are also back in work a good bit.

One day this week , I changed my cycling shorts and was a bit uncomfortable, I'm cycling so much , I probably could do with buying a new pair, but a bit messy when you can not try on.

Still absolutely loving my new bike, but I have noticed that if your tyres are not up to pressure, it can feel all a bit too soft, I seem to have to pump them up every time these days (is there a tyre that needs less changes / pumping) ?

So the sun set today over Dublin bay, a head wind coming home, there was a stunning sun set in the west, one that comes at certain times of year due to temperature and pressure and perhaps that explains my deflation issues.

It was at the end of a 50 km run - with a bit more effort I'm noticing muscles getting actually tired now - not injured or anything , just worked.

I was thinking back to when I would feel delighted with myself with 20 km, I wouldn't feel right now below 40. But I know you can put in a different session now and can not just be all distance.

So happy enough - next week is not as straight forward - daylight, work , other commitments. I'd imagine I'll have to hit the stationary trainer a bit - and it just is not the same as that sun set and flow with the wind at your back.

Today

48 KM -
    2 hrs 19 min
    Average speed 21. kph (Road works and Double Dart hit :D)

I'm 6 kgs off my initial target.

Might have a few beers, but noticed that the weight drop is getting harder. Definitely hungrier.

This Week Total = 255 km (down 10 km on last week)

Advertisement