Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbird vs Ring Elite

Options
  • 02-06-2019 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Anyone here using either?

Looking to decide between the two.

Doorbird has local access to video stream while Ring Elite seems more polished but does need subscription to get best out of it

Number of complaints on ring on slowness of response but mostly seems to be from user using WiFi model.

The Current doorbell is 720 with ring 1080 but appears to be imminent release of new 1080 doorbird.

Doorbird also allows integration to blueiris and HA.

Doorbird sounds good but the shear users of the ring and the support seems like it's a more polished device with better support and easier to use

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I only have experience with Nest Hello. Cost €279.
    My only complaint would be how easy it would be to steal it. I pay €50 per year to have the last 5 days backed up in the cloud. It is also 1080 and the app works very well. Would you not consider this as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Have a doorbird for 2 years now. Could not fault it and find it excellent. Best to hardwire and power via poe.

Have it intergrated into HA and in addition to ring etc it can open your gates and you can "ok google open the gate" Very handy in the car, no fumbling for fobs etc.

The setup via the app is not as straighforward as it could be but not overly difficult.

Like all the doorbells, hardwire and make sure the rear is weather sealed correctly, then you will have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

fergalom wrote: »
    Have a doorbird for 2 years now. Could not fault it and find it excellent. Best to hardwire and power via poe.

Have it intergrated into HA and in addition to ring etc it can open your gates and you can "ok google open the gate" Very handy in the car, no fumbling for fobs etc.

The setup via the app is not as straighforward as it could be but not overly difficult.

Like all the doorbells, hardwire and make sure the rear is weather sealed correctly, then you will have no issues.

Thanks , what model do you use?
    Would not use Nest Hello, or other as distance for wifi wouldn't work. need Ethernet and POE.

Do you find any delay when someone presses button? This seems main complaint

Also do you use the cloud service or keep it local LAN. I was wondering can you combine both ie. Answer via cloud on app when out but have it record on LAN

Have a d101s.

Can only speak for what i have but i dont find a delay in receiving the notification either on 4g or wifi. Where the delay can come in is unlocking your phone and clicking on notification and app opening.

I dont use the doorbird cloud service. Everthing is lan into HA and nvr. I have option to use doorbord app outside lan if needed.

Doorbird also has an onvif profile and rtsp stream both of which have the relay switch included so you can completely avoid doorbird services if you wish other than initial with doorbird registration and setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

fergalom wrote: »
    Have a d101s.

Can only speak for what i have but i dont find a delay in receiving the notification either on 4g or wifi. Where the delay can come in is unlocking your phone and clicking on notification and app opening.

I dont use the doorbird cloud service. Everthing is lan into HA and dvr. I have option to use doorbord app outside lan if needed.

Doorbird also has an onvif profile and rtsp stream both of which have the relay switch included so you can completely avoid doorbird services if you wish other than initial with doorbird registration and setup.

How do you use it with home assistant. Have you written your own alerts and do you display live video on main HA screen ? Any screens of what it looks like ?

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »
    How do you use it with home assistant. Have you written your own alerts and do you display live video on main HA screen ? Any screens of what it looks like ?

Using the builtin doorbird component HA integration.
    Standard stream component for video display with gate relay and gate light overlaid.

Other stuff: Alexa announcement on doorbell push, some outdoor lights on, telegram notifcation and also popup video stream on tv. (all depends presence / time of day etc)

With HA, there are a million different ways to implement so just figure out what suits.

Advertisement