Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kneemos wrote: »
    This fat bloke beat the incredibly fit looking black guy last night.

Conclusion.

Boxing is a racket.

https://news.sky.com/story/massive-shock-as-anthony-joshua-loses-heavyweight-titles-to-underdog-andy-ruiz-jr-11733281

I think you are confusing being toned and being fit.
    Bodybuilders are very toned but would struggle with doing a 5k. A person with a six pack and popping veins would be very dehydrated and struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Bobblehats wrote: »
    What a woman I am truly in awe.

I believe her to be the greatest irish sportsperson, that’s just my opinion.

You're opinion is wrong, just like people's racist and sexist opinions can be wrong.

Saying in my opinion doesn't make your claim valid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The close call has led to speculation about a rematch something which Katie Taylor says she’d be open to but added that she has other fights planned.

Second thoughts...?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2019/0602/1053046-katie-taylor/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

RoryMac wrote: »
    Head and shoulders over Collins?? I don't think so.

To suggest Collins achievements are less because he didn't unify the division is ridiculous, he fought McCallum and lost on a disputed split decision, same with Reggie Johnson. He then went on to beat Eubank twice and Benn. He chased the unification fight with Jones for years.

He might be an unlikable guy for what happened outside the ring but his achievements and the level he fought at are far higher than KT.

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations, and has never lost a professional fight. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.

On top of all this, she was a member of the Peamount United squad that won a treble, winning the Dublin Women's Soccer League, the DWSL Premier Cup and the FAI Women's Cup. She also represented the Republic of Ireland women's national football team at under–17, under–19 and senior levels. She scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Women's Under-19 Championship qualifier against Macedonia.

She is one of Ireland's most phenomenal, dedicated, and humble athletes ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nobelium wrote: »
    Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts.

Not sure if you're serious but KT fights against women and the pool of talent is much smaller. Collins fought in one of the toughest most talent packed divisions and had a very good record against them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships

You are joking or just extremely uneducated when it comes to boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.
    How many pro women are fighting at Katie’s weight v how many at Collins. Also how hard is Katie’s division hitting compared to Collins ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Greyfox wrote: »
    Well done Katie, a true legend! She's currently the greatest Irish person alive

:mad: My arse she is!

Vicky Phelan who blew the lid off the cervical check scandal and put herself through so much in order to try and make sure that other Irish women wouldn't have to go through what she did, is probably currently the greatest Irish person alive.

As was Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Laura Brennan, both of whom have sadly passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is a troll, back under your bridge.

Reported.

Not a troll

Just someone who recognises greatness and isn’t afraid of celebrating it.

I detest Irish begrudgery.

ted1 wrote: »
    How many pro women are fighting at Katie’s weight v how many at Collins. Also how hard is Katie’s division hitting compared to Collins ?

you might as well try and claim Collins didn't win at heavyweight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations, and has never lost a professional fight. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.

On top of all this, she was a member of the Peamount United squad that won a treble, winning the Dublin Women's Soccer League, the DWSL Premier Cup and the FAI Women's Cup. She also represented the Republic of Ireland women's national football team at under–17, under–19 and senior levels. She scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Women's Under-19 Championship qualifier against Macedonia.

She is one of Ireland's most phenomenal, dedicated, and humble athletes ever.

Thank you for taking the time of writing this-take note.

Ridiculous argument to say Collins is above her in the pantheon of Irish sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

She is head and shoulders over most of the names (Collins??? McTapper??? Ffs) that people throw out here as somehow her equal in sport

No disrespect to local boy Conor he sure won the fame game but KT is the consummate professional with the warrior gene. You see it in her eyes, she is tough as nails her determination saw out yet another 10 rounds of a bruising encounter to unify all the world titles in her possession:

1559439268416_lc_galleryImage_Boxing_Katie_Taylor_v_Del.JPG

The greatest!

Thank you for taking the time of writing this-take note.

Ridiculous argument to say Collins is above her in the pantheon of Irish sport.

How many boxers are in Katie's division?

:mad: My arse she is!

Vicky Phelan who blew the lid off the cervical check scandal and put herself through so much in order to try and make sure that other Irish women wouldn't have to go through what she did, is probably currently the greatest Irish person alive.

As was Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Laura Brennan, both of whom have sadly passed away.

The poster you quoted was quite clearly joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I get the impression that Katie Taylor was more blessed than the shrine at knock last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Reported.

Not a troll

Just someone who recognises greatness and isn’t afraid of celebrating it.

I detest Irish begrudgery.

Good lad again

Im not begrudging her anything, greatest woman boxer ever i said.
    Your saying she is the greatest irish sportsperson when she isnt even the greatest irish boxer.
    Good luck and god bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The reason there is so much begrudgery /deliberate disinterest in her, as one of Ireland most dedicated, professional and focused athletes ever, is a combination of her being a women, a devout christian, a real lady, and being so successful without being some vain self promoting sleazy "celebrity" scumbag. All these things seem to be an anathema to current society.

Or.........bear with me here.........most people are not interested in womens boxing. Its only been in the last 2 Olympics., it may build more momentum in the future, but it's a long way behind womens football for instance.
    Even attributing the **** about not liking her to men, where are the hoards of women followers?

The god **** is irritating, but no more so than any other person attributing their own hard work to some non existent entity. Spoiler folks, God didnt cure your cancer, the doctors did.

Interest in mens boxing is probably at a low point here too.

I think people are missing a very obvious factor here.
    Let's say for example we have a football player who is playing in division 3, is named best footballer in that division for 10 years in a row, highest goal scorer every year, wins multiple cups for the team practically single handed. He is not a better player than someone who plays his entire career in the premiership yet wins no titles or accolades.

I don't see how you can't see this is what people are saying about female boxing and male boxing. The skill it takes to get to the highest level in men's boxing is a lot higher than women's.
    John McEnroe came under fire for saying Serena Williams would not be in the top 100 players of all time if she was put in with the men's players.
    Williams practically confirmed this to be true. There is a vast difference and to dent that is absurd.
    Katie Taylor is without a doubt one of the best Irish boxers of all time. But certainly not the greatest Irish boxer of all time

.Charlo wrote: »
    You are joking or just extremely uneducated when it comes to boxing.

i suppose if you haven't any facts you can always try some personal attacks, and i'll happily step into the ring with you anytime

• Advertisement

Or.........bear with me here.........most people are not interested in womens boxing. Its only been in the last 2 Olympics., it may build more momentum in the future, but it's a long way behind womens football for instance.
    Even attributing the **** about not liking her to men, where are the hoards of women followers?

The god **** is irritating, but no more so than any other person attributing their own hard work to some non existent entity. Spoiler folks, God didnt cure your cancer, the doctors did.

Interest in mens boxing is probably at a low point here too.

"woman . . religion . . blah blah bhlah" . . . you've just proved the point

i suppose if you haven't any facts you can always try some personal attacks, and i'll happily step into the ring with you anytime

If she goes her whole career losing less than 5 fights, is she better than Ali so?

If she goes her whole career losing less than 5 fights, is she better than Ali so?

I don't know of any Irish boxer greater the Ali, so what ?

"woman . . religion . . blah blah bhlah" . . . you've just proved the point

What point? Any chance of actually answering posts or are you just going to keep waffling and passing it off?

Ironic that your post before that bemoans another poster for not having facts.

Your point is basically "you people dont like her cos shes a woman and dont try dispute that cos I said so"

I don't know of any Irish boxer greater the Ali, so what ?

Is it not about facts and stats anymore , no?

Surely if she loses less fights ,shes better? Regardless of her gender, weight class or whether she faces anyone of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Scrabbel wrote: »
    It was a very close fight either way and a win could have been well justified for either boxer, just depended on whether the judges were more impressed by constant less skilled forward action or more skilled back foot boxing (though Katie did get involved in a scrap quite a bit). Persoon finishing stronger made it look a bit more in her favour than it actually was overall. They could both count themselves unlucky to lose. It happens.

By the way, until yesterday I was never aware of a real Irish trailblazer and World Champ before Katie. The link won’t post for me but look for Deirdre Gogarty on Wikipedia and youtube etc

Taylor was probably lucky to get the decision but it was a very close fight.

To be talking of Persoon winning easily and 'daylight robbery' as some of the more hysterical boxing commentators have been doing is totally overstating what happened. It was very close, could easily have been declared a draw and anyone coming out of the ring having lost would not be happy the result had gone against them.

• Advertisement

Surely if she loses less fights ,shes better? Regardless of her gender, weight class or whether she faces anyone of note.

I don't see anyone here claiming Taylor is greater than Ali do you ? So, what are you trying to claim exactly ? Heavyweights are greater athletes than other weights ? Is she one of the greatest Irish athletes ever or not ?

Facts Haha you've ignored all the facts that have been spelled out for you in this thread and shown yourself to be absolutely clueless when it comes to boxing. Now your calling out strangers on the internet looking to box in a ring. Get a life mate.

I don't see anyone here claiming Taylor is greater than Ali do you ? So, what are you trying to claim exactly ? Heavyweights are greater athletes than other weights ? Is she one of the greatest Irish athletes ever or not ?
    I'm not claiming anything. I'm comparing one boxer to another. Taylor V Ali is as valid a comparison as Taylor V Collins. Taylor and Collins both being Irish is the only extra link.

First ever womens boxing rankings compiled in October 2018.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.worldboxingnews.net/2018/10/22/divisional-first-womens-rankings/amp/

They actually have enough women competing now to compile some sort of list, as small as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So Liverpool win the champions league meaning they’ll never shut up about it.
    Katie Taylor wins despite the fact she shouldn’t of won.
    Aj loses in a clear fixed fight.

Bad weekend for sport.

• Advertisement

So Liverpool win the champions league meaning they’ll never shut up about it.
    Katie Taylor wins despite the fact she shouldn’t of won.
    Aj loses in a clear fixed fight.

Bad weekend for sport.

Yeah Joshua lost it must be a fix, its not like hes stiff as a board and easy to hit or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Bono is the greatest Irish person alive

Forgetting Bob Geldof? Or Michael D Hobbit? Or Hozier? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Great win.
    Terrible ref.
    Dirty opponent.
    Right person won as the fight was scored correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Collins never had a snowballs chance in hell of being Undisputed champ of his division.

Because of politics. He was an outstanding champion at a time when middleweight boxing had a number of world class boxers. He chased that massive fight against Jones Jnr for years. Beat the best that was put in front of him and they were greats themselves.
    And like mctap very questionable lifestyle to add to it.

Agree that mcTap isn't in their league. Put his name in there as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah sour grapes and begrudgery Alive and well in Ireland it seems

How is she the greatest the Donovan brother, Sanita Puspura and the irish gymnast are all up there. Give you reason.

What a fantastic athlete, one of the greatest Irish athletes ever, and only ever a passing mention of her on the mainstream Irish media.

There was more then a passing mention today on the news. In fairness she gets a girl bit more coverage then others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Rocky Marciano never lost a fight and nobody considers him to be the greatest heavyweight of all time never mind the greatest boxer of all time.

Sugar Ray Robinson lost numerous fights and he's widely considered one of the greatest (if not the greatest) boxer of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yeah Joshua lost it must be a fix, its not like hes stiff as a board and easy to hit or anything.

Supremely conditioned black goliath gets destroyed by a squat fat mans flurry :pac:

hard as it is n all to get the head around i’d urge anyone without even the remotest of interest in boxing to check it out; it truly was a beautiful thing.

Supremely conditioned black goliath gets destroyed by a squat fat mans flurry :pac:

hard as it is n all to get the head around i’d urge anyone without even the remotest of interest in boxing to check it out; it truly was a beautiful thing.

Hearn nearly crying after it, great to see.
    It was pointed out by a few pros in the build up how dangerous Ruiz is, he hits hard and has the speed of a ww. Casual fans dont see these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ruiz Jr's counter-punches were some of the best I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Your Face wrote: »
    Great win.
    Terrible ref.
    Dirty opponent.
    Right person won as the fight was scored correctly.

Yep. Surprised more people aren’t mentioning this. Persoon fought very dirty. Seemed intentional as well, threw an elbow at one stage, and a punch after the bell had went, this was the main reason I had little sympathy for her after she lost. Fair play to Katie, unifying belts in boxing regardless of weight or gender is no easy task, credit where it’s due, she’s reached her summit. KT set out to become the best female boxer in the world and that’s exactly what she’s done. Should consider retiring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I can never understand why all the sports commentators and journalists come over all PC when discussing the subject of concussion in various sports and yet they seem to ignore the fact that boxing is a sport where the objective is to concuss your opponent by punching them in the head as hard and as often as you can. I believe boxing should be banned entirely. It is particularly dangerous to allow/encourage kids of either gender to get involved in this 'sport' as they are more susceptible to brain injury. One punch can, and sometimes does, kill.

(Katie Taylor is a fine athlete and was a very accomplished soccer player. I'm not sure why she took up boxing, she could have had a successful career at other, less dangerous, sports.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Vicky Phelan.. Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Laura Brennan, both of whom have sadly passed away.
    All 3 were great, never heard of any of them before today but I've googled them now
    seannash wrote: »
    The poster you quoted was quite clearly joking

I wasn't. We've had more amazing athletes in other sports but there all retired now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

As for McTapper there’s a reason why ppl shun him over the years.
    And like mctap very questionable lifestyle to add to it.

You realise you ruin any argument you have with comments like the above?

You want people to respect & commend Katies achievements in the sport that you like but then ridicule McGregor with the infantile 'McTap' comments because it's not a sport you enjoy/respect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ForestFire wrote: »
    Do you read or think about what you posting?

I think it can be summed up as..

"If she was a MAN there'd be weekend parties! You SEXISTS"

White-Knightism at it's finest! :rolleyes:

The truth (as others have said) is that most people have no interest in women's boxing. Fair play to her on her win, but I didn't even know she was competing until I heard it on the radio yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Don't like boxing at all, brutal sport that should be banned as a profession IMO as was the case (don't know if still is) in Norway and Sweden. Don't like female boxing even more, but... well done to Katie, she's a great champion and we should be proud of her achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Greyfox wrote: »
    All 3 were great, never heard of any of them before today but I've googled them now

I wasn't. We've had more amazing athletes in other sports but there all retired now

Never heard of any of them either never look at the news are have been out of the country for a number of years. How about Maurice McCabe or people in the rescue services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Bono is the greatest Irish person alive

True. Ask him and he'll tell you the same thing.

• Advertisement

What point? Any chance of actually answering posts or are you just going to keep waffling and passing it off?

Ironic that your post before that bemoans another poster for not having facts.

Your point is basically "you people dont like her cos shes a woman and dont try dispute that cos I said so"

Total and Utter Rubbish as usual :

Taylor is one of the greatest Irish Athletes ever.

Name some other Irish Athletes that have come close to the following, and list out their achievements :

Soccer
    Represented the Republic of Ireland national football team at
    • under–17,
    • under–19 and
    • senior level.
    • 14 when she played for the under–17s
    • 15 when playing for the under–19s.
    • Scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Under-19 Championship qualifier
    • Made 11 appearances and scored 2 goals for the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Boxing
    • Five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships
    • Gold six times at the European Championships
    • Gold five times at the European Union Championships

An Olympic Gold Medal

Undisputed boxing world champion :

simultaneously holding -
    • the WBA world title
    • the IBF world title
    • the WBO world title
    • the WBC world title
    • and never lost a professional fight.

Facts Haha you've ignored all the facts that have been spelled out for you in this thread and shown yourself to be absolutely clueless when it comes to boxing. Now your calling out strangers on the internet looking to box in a ring. Get a life mate.

Again with the personal abuse but not a single fact.

I'm happy to step into the ring with you or any other keyboard warrior and show you what I know about boxing, let's see if you are man enough shall we ?

Advertisement