Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    Two young women getting their faces disfigured, and we're celebrating that?

no wonder there's so much violence in society.....i know i know i'm an old prude i need to get with the times...but i can't..it just doesn't sit well with me
    pablo128 wrote: »
    Is it ok if it's young men getting disfigured?

no it isn't...but i draw the line at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

no it isn't...but i draw the line at that

Equal rights.... equal lefts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Samthefootball do not post again in this thread. Trolling and being an all round dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am sure the English won't mind. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

KildareFan wrote: »
    Agree - I can't stand 'sports' which allow people to inflict pain and harm on other humans or animals.

Animals I will agree with that

Humans absolutely not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Two young women getting their faces disfigured, and we're celebrating that?

no wonder there's so much violence in society.....i know i know i'm an old prude i need to get with the times...but i can't..it just doesn't sit well with me

Why though? They both trained at the sport. Watching women street fight is far more disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Congratulations.

Please sue Sky News when they say she's English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Two young women getting their faces disfigured

Stupid statement, don't even know why I even responded to such ignorance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You are mistaken

She is the UNDISPUTED champion after last night

No Irish boxer achieved that. Maybe someone can confirm on that???

Collins -Collins was and is a joke and a has been

Needed a feckin hypnotist to get him over the line against Eubanks

As for McTapper there’s a reason why ppl shun him over the years.

Were the rest of them fighting part-timers as well? Such ****e this is, as is the whole ‘greatest ever Irish sportsperson’ spiel getting peddled.

She’s a great fighter and a great role model but let’s be honest, the pool of fighters is tiny compared to what the others had to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's Pro boxing isn't it? I always thought that you took it with a pinch of salt, smoke and mirrors stuff. Heard some talk of a 'homecoming' celebration so the various politicos could get a few pics and a bit of coverage. Whatever about this sort of thing for Olympians, wouldn't have thought it appropriate now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

fullstop wrote: »
    Were the rest of them fighting part-timers as well? Such ****e this is, as is the whole ‘greatest ever Irish sportsperson’ spiel getting peddled.

She’s a great fighter and a great role model but let’s be honest, the pool of fighters is tiny compared to what the others had to beat.
    You really shouldn't be taken in by that poster. There's a reason why he's been threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

As much as I love Katie and wanted her to win, I feel really sorry for Persoon. I thought she won that fight. I can totally understand why she was upset. The build up was all about how Katie Taylor was getting the chance to become undisputed. Everyone forgot that Persoon was getting that chance as well. Five years as champion, 9 defenses and she was treated as if she were a can and got a tough decision go against her on the night.

Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of the Irish media is in congratulatory mode, very few questioning the win.

If it was the other way round.

You have to call out crap decisions. Even when they go in your favour.

Katie is the more marketable fighter.

Boxing really is a corrupt sport isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I felt it should have been a draw. I can understand how Katie got the decision but I too felt sorry for Persoon. If she walked out of there still holding her own belt it would have been fair imo.

I watched the fight again and Persoon was doing a lot of pulling and grabbing, I missed a lot of that first time around. I think this is why Katie got the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    As much as I love Katie and wanted her to win, I feel really sorry for Persoon. I thought she won that fight. I can totally understand why she was upset. The build up was all about how Katie Taylor was getting the chance to become undisputed. Everyone forgot that Persoon was getting that chance as well. Five years as champion, 9 defenses and she was treated as if she were a can and got a tough decision go against her on the night.

Heartbreaking.

5 years as a champion and 1 belt to her name. Katie only turned pro 4 years ago and has beaten 4 world champions in that time.

Persoon wasn't exactly chasing title fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Animals I will agree with that

Humans absolutely not

Only tasty ones.

NIMAN wrote: »
    A lot of the Irish media is in congratulatory mode, very few questioning the win.

If it was the other way round.

You have to call out crap decisions. Even when they go in your favour.

Katie is the more marketable fighter.

Boxing really is a corrupt sport isn't it.

Precisely.

When we get a bad call against our international teams and athletes it’s huge news for weeks after.

When the shoe is on the other foot, we remain silent. I think it should work both ways. Persoon got a wrong decision against her just like some of our lads did in Rio. Georgia got robbed against us in the football during the 2012 euro qualifiers, just like we were robbed by the French in 2009. The former two aforementioned incidents were ignored by the Irish media whilst there was a media furore over the latter two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF is it was a fella he'd be getting all sorts of slaps on the back. Higgins better invite her for tae.
    Well done to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

A lot of unease about this. Persoon clearly won.
    Nobody in media wants to admit it but celebrations are muted.
    Boxing is corrupt and now Katie Taylor is part of that.

pablo128 wrote: »
    5 years as a champion and 1 belt to her name. Katie only turned pro 4 years ago and has beaten 4 world champions in that time.

Persoon wasn't exactly chasing title fights.

She was injured for a time and works full time as a police officer. She had to take annual leave for the fight. She doesn’t have the same financial backing as Katie. This is her side gig.

• Advertisement

Needs to fight the G.O.A.T.....Charlie Zelenoff... 348-0

Is he still on the go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure the rematch will sort it out.

She took a fair beating in this fight though, never saw her face bruised like that before, she was lucky IMO it ended when it did or she could have got dropped to the canvass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

blueser wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be taken in by that poster. There's a reason why he's been threadbanned.
    I've had Beechwoodspark pm'ing me two or three times this afternoon asking me to clarify/edit my post to reflect that he hasn't been "threadbanned", just requested not to post again in the thread.
    :rolleyes:

So; to appease him, I will say that he hasn't been threadbanned. Repeat, not threadbanned.

There’s going to be a welcome reception for her at Dublin airport tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The amount of experts in this thread that state Persoon clearly won...So I think to myself this poster must know their boxing and check to see their post history in the boxing forum and to my surprise most have ZERO posts:eek:
    Im not saying you must be a poster in the boxing forum but at least back up statements like Persoon was robbed with a little fight breakdown or analysis.

In my opinion Persoon had one game plan. Charge Katie down and not allow her to box. Its ugly and boring. The boxer won the fight and thats good enough for me:D

Typical Irish begrudging our own is the theme of this thread

Not at all.
    I think what KT has done in the sport is amazing, but from what I saw she didn't win that fight.

Weltsmertz wrote:
    A lot of unease about this. Persoon clearly won. Nobody in media wants to admit it but celebrations are muted. Boxing is corrupt and now Katie Taylor is part of that.
    Persoon did not clearly win. Anybody saying that hasn't a clue.
    At the time of the fight I gave them three clear rounds apiece and then you had four close rounds which could be called either. Two of the judges called those rounds 3-1 to Taylor. The other called it 2-2.
    If you go back and watch the fight again there were moments in this rounds that looked good for Persoon but only because she was pulling and dragging Katie. Judges at ringside would have seen this and discarded the scoring done by Persoon because they came as a result of pulling and dragging.
    It's perfectly understandable how Katie got the call.

I'll hold my hands up then, I'm no expert on boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was a close fight. 6 round to 4 for either fighter or 5 each.

Personally, I had it that Katie won 5 of the first 6 rounds and lost 3 of the last 4. So 6-4 Katie. But she was lucky it wasn’t a 12 rounder, else I reckon she would have been stopped.

But it was a 10 rounder, like most women’s fights. She nicked it. Anyone who says they thought it was a draw or that she lost 6-4, I’d respect their view.

Anyone who says it was a robbery is an eejit who suffers from short attention span and can only remember the last 4 rounds when the other girl was mostly well on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Katie Taylor is an exceptional human being. I would recommend watching her documentary on Netflix to get an insight into her character and how driven she is.

I'm very proud of her achievements and that she represents the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Probably Ireland's greatest sportsperson. Watched the fight this afternoon again and I think she just did enough. Not sure why people think she lost for me she did enough. Well done Katie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

As much as I love Katie and wanted her to win, I feel really sorry for Persoon. I thought she won that fight. I can totally understand why she was upset. The build up was all about how Katie Taylor was getting the chance to become undisputed. Everyone forgot that Persoon was getting that chance as well. Five years as champion, 9 and she was treated as if she were a can and got a tough decision go against her on the night.

Heartbreaking.

Yep, I was kinda leaning that way, felt sorry for her after I heard the result and how close it was, but after I actually saw it I wasn’t impressed by Persoon dirty tactics which seemed very intentional. I’m no boxing expert but I was chatting with friends who are, and they reckon that KT just shaded it, but could’ve went either way. One said Persoon was chasing the KO in the last round because she knew KT was ahead. I thought Persoon should have won myself as she was the more aggressive and attacked more, but hey, shows what I know about boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Could have went either way.

3 judges and a ref. That is boxing. If anyone doesn't like it then don't watch boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Is he still on the go?

Last I seen of Charlie Zelenoff he was getting chased into a McDonald's by some pro boxer who waited outside his house for him after he'd had enough of his nonsense.... Charlie still won that one.. 349-0

Heard a rumour he's in big trouble for assaulting some pizza delivery guy...

He's the ultimate Internet LOLcow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Katie Taylor is an exceptional human being. I would recommend watching her documentary on Netflix to get an insight into her character and how driven she is.

Do you get aroused watching her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Last I seen of Charlie Zelenoff he was getting chased into a McDonald's by some pro boxer who waited outside his house for him after he'd had enough of his nonsense.... Charlie still won that one.. 349-0

Heard a rumour he's in big trouble for assaulting some pizza delivery guy...

He's the ultimate Internet LOLcow

I ended up watching that whole thing. It’s hilarious. It’s obviously a pisstake, like Borat or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Much and all as Katie and her mother go on about Jesus and praise the Lord and all that it seems they have no problem accepting a decision which was bare faced robbery. Shameful carry on TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Maybe, but she could spare us the 'God is great' stuff whilst then knocking the lights out of some other poor sod.

Much and all as Katie and her mother go on about Jesus and praise the Lord and all that it seems they have no problem accepting a decision which was bare faced robbery. Shameful carry on TBH.
    Yet another one who doesn't have a clue about boxing.

BarryD2 wrote:
    Maybe, but she could spare us the 'God is great' stuff whilst then knocking the lights out of some other poor sod.
    Why does it bother you?
    I am not religious but I don't mind that's there people are, never bothers me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think that is the case. One can only accept official decisions no matter how they might have been arrived at. There is talk of a rematch down the line anyway either in response to this or as a courtesy to a very good opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I heard it's only in mono :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Pure hyperbole.
    It was a close fight - no way was it robbery. DP was swinging at fresh at lot of the time, had no footwork, could not slip punches. DP walked forward in straight lines swinging like a windmill and being made to miss by KT. DP also held KT head whilst punching and gave KT more than a few forearm smashes to the face.
    I had it a draw, but it could have went 1 round either way.

To say that it was robbery shows you know even less than I do about boxing. For it to be robbery required DP to win a clear number of rounds more than KT and she simply did not do that.

Worrying thing for full-time professional KT was the fact that she gassed against an older part-time fighter. That should simply not happen. Also she got sucked into fighting the fight that DP wanted - that was very naive and stupid and very nearly cost her her dream.

A rematch is required and I hope it will happen, but DP was not "robbed". It was a close fight that could have went either way and the judges for what they were worth favoured the boxer over the bruiser.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yet another one who doesn't have a clue about boxing.
    Clearly I know more about it than you do anyway. It wasn't even close enough that you could call it a draw, disgraceful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Why do irish people always have to diss and down great achievements by other Irish people?

Post colonial low self worth syndrome or something more basic like begrudgery ?

Why do Irish people make a huge song and dance when poor decisions go against us in sport but pretend there is nothing to see here when one of our own gets an underserved decision?

Flag waving, cheerleading and unable to look objectively at something?

Pure hyperbole.
    It was a close fight - no way was it robbery. DP was swinging at fresh at lot of the time, had no footwork, could not slip punches. DP walked forward in straight lines swinging like a windmill and being made to miss by KT. DP also held KT head whilst punching and gave KT more than a few forearm smashes to the face.
    I had it a draw, but it could have went 1 round either way.

To say that it was robbery shows you know even less than I do about boxing. For it to be robbery required DP to win a clear number of rounds more than KT and she simply did not do that.

Worrying thing for full-time professional KT was the fact that she gassed against an older part-time fighter. That should simply not happen. Also she got sucked into fighting the fight that DP wanted - that was very naive and stupid and very nearly cost her her dream.

A rematch is required and I hope it will happen, but DP was not "robbed". It was a close fight that could have went either way and the judges for what they were worth favoured the boxer over the bruiser.

You can play with words as to whether it was close or robbery the fact is she was well beaten on the night. And if she is the 'exceptional human being' as she has been described as and the ultra Christian that she professes to be then she should throw the belt into the sea off Bray head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Clearly I know more about it than you do anyway. It wasn't even close enough that you could call it a draw, disgraceful decision.

Looks like you were watching the wrong fight, everyone else agrees it was a close fight including the boxing experts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You can play with words as to whether it was close or robbery the fact is she was well beaten on the night. And if she is the 'exceptional human being' as she has been described as and the ultra Christian that she professes to be then she should throw the belt into the sea off Bray head.

Go away and wise up ya lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

_blaaz wrote: »
    Now the undisputed champion of the world....and best performing irish sports star with the last few years

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/katie-taylor-becomes-undisputed-lightweight-champion-after-all-action-classic-against-delfine-persoon-928271.html

Conor 'Champ Champ' McGregor you mean

If Katie reckons that she is now the undisputed champion then fair enough ,clearly her Christian beliefs are equally genuine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement