Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rgace wrote: »
    Why do Irish people make a huge song and dance when poor decisions go against us in sport but pretend there is nothing to see here when one of our own gets an underserved decision?

Flag waving, cheerleading and unable to look objectively at something?
    It's called human nature. Anything you are invested in gives you some form of bias. Cards in ball games are "unjust" if they happen to those you support, but wholly justified when it's the opposition. Not sure how Taylor is complicit in the decision though ,which seems to be where this post is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Greyfox wrote: »
    Looks like you were watching the wrong fight, everyone else agrees it was a close fight including the boxing experts

'Everyone else' ? Do you mean her father? David Haye, Carl Frampton, Ken Egan etc all have said she lost the fight, Frampton said the decision was 'disgraceful'. If she has any pride left she should be slipping out the back door at Dublin airport today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If Katie reckons that she is now the undisputed champion then fair enough ,clearly her Christian beliefs are equally genuine.

can't get my head around that, do-gooder christian outside the ring...but inside it she's only to willing to knock seven shades of sh!te out of her opponent

so much for "love thy neighbour"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

fryup wrote: »
    can't get my head around that, do-gooder christian outside the ring...but inside it she's only to willing to knock seven shades of sh!te out of her opponent

Yes, but remember when our Lord gave those merchants in the temple a damn good thrashing?
    My favourite part of the new testament by a long distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Clearly I know more about it than you do anyway. It wasn't even close enough that you could call it a draw, disgraceful decision.
    You know absolutely nothing about boxing.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know absolutely nothing about boxing.

So David Haye, Carl Frampton Ken Egan etc are all wrong and You are right?:D

fryup wrote: »

topper75 wrote: »
    Yes, but remember when our Lord gave those merchants in the temple a damn good thrashing?
    My favourite part of the new testament by a long distance.

ya but i don't recall him punching their faces to a pulp...and then parading around triumphantly afterwards

So David Haye, Carl Frampton Ken Egan etc are all wrong and You are right?

They are boxers, not very bright. Ask any boxing judge and see what they say.
    I'll tell you what they'll say, it's that Persoon was constantly pulling and grabbing Katie which is illegal, they'll tell you that a lot of landed punches by Persoon were because of the illegal pulling and grabbing and as a result they don't count.

They are boxers, not very bright.

Sigh! Why do I bother:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sigh! Why do I bother
    I'll tell you why you bother, because you try to appear like you know something but you haven't a clue.
    This is why you only quoted the first line of my post and none of the actual boxing and judging stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

So much trolling on the thread now. Mentioning religion etc. Still posts about robbery and not backing up the statement:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not very interested in boxing but it's good when Irish athletes do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

kerplun k wrote: »
    I ended up watching that whole thing. It’s hilarious. It’s obviously a pisstake, like Borat or whatever.

That's what I thought, but the delusion is strong with Charlie, it seems his mother and father enable his behaviour also... The US throws up some beautiful and fcuked up individuals... Should really make a separate thread for them..

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/conald-petersen-fedsmoker-saint-herkster-pukekiller-shemale-tranny-church.10885/

I'll tell you why you bother, because you try to appear like you know something but you haven't a clue.
    This is why you only quoted the first line of my post and none of the actual boxing and judging stuff.

Oh yea the 'judging stuff' So when you said that boxers are not very bright it means that apart from you thinking she won the fight you also think that she is dumb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why does it bother you?
    I am not religious but I don't mind that's there people are, never bothers me.

Live and let live etc. But is there a place for over religiosity in combat sports? What's next - an athlete whose mantra is 'Praise be to Allah' v another whose manta is 'God is Great' or the latter v another who wears Satanic symbols? How would that go down? Fine whatever people want to do in private, but it should be kept out of the public arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Live and let live etc. But is there a place for over religiosity in combat sports? What's next - an athlete whose mantra is 'Praise be to Allah' v another whose manta is 'God is Great' or the latter v another who wears Satanic symbols? How would that go down? Fine whatever people want to do in private, but it should be kept out of the public arena.

You evidently don't watch much US boxing. God gets thanked on a regular basis - it doesn't mean they're bible bashers, its just a cultural thing.

You can play with words as to whether it was close or robbery the fact is she was well beaten on the night. And if she is the 'exceptional human being' as she has been described as and the ultra Christian that she professes to be then she should throw the belt into the sea off Bray head

I believe the scoring was fair and accurate. The fact is that the last monents of the fight saw her being beaten around the place and that image stays in the mind, giving in a way a false impression overall.

One might ask though, why the rather patronising two minute round length and 10 rounds rather than 12. Anyone whose watched MMA will have seen women perform under the same round and match lengths as the men and no bother to them.

Oh yea the 'judging stuff' So when you said that boxers are not very bright it means that apart from you thinking she won the fight you also think that she is dumb?
    No I don't and because she hasn't boxed professionally for long.
    I don't think all boxers are lacking intelligence like the ones you mentioned either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Edgware wrote: »
    Do you get aroused watching her?

:( FFS. Those posting such spiteful nonsense are pitiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

BarryD2 wrote: »
    an athlete whose mantra is 'Praise be to Allah' v another whose manta is 'God is Great'

A couple of M Ali's fights had that. Such people feel more in common than they would with an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

:( FFS. Those posting such spiteful nonsense are pitiful.
    You didnt answer the question

• Advertisement

I think Parsoon won Round 2. I don't know how one of the judges gave it to KT.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

JayZeus wrote: »
    WTF.

Some awful eejits celebrating two women punching each other around the ring for ‘sport’.

Women shouldn't be boxing for men’s entertainment.
    And men shouldn't be boxing for men's entertainment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JayZeus wrote: »
    WTF.

Some awful eejits celebrating two women punching each other around the ring for ‘sport’.

Women shouldn't be boxing for men’s entertainment.

It was an exclusively male audience?

Are you against the notion of women boxing entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I can never understand why all the sports commentators and journalists come over all PC when discussing the subject of concussion in various sports and yet they seem to ignore the fact that boxing is a sport where the objective is to concuss your opponent by punching them in the head as hard and as often as you can. I believe boxing should be banned entirely. It is particularly dangerous to allow/encourage kids of either gender to get involved in this 'sport' as they are more susceptible to brain injury. One punch can, and sometimes does, kill.

(Katie Taylor is a fine athlete and was a very accomplished soccer player. I'm not sure why she took up boxing, she could have had a successful career at other, less dangerous, sports.)
    Had she stayed in football (she was great) would we be talking about her at all? Give her dad credit - most people in Ireland know who Katie Taylor is thanks to his tireless promotion. Even when she was a nipper, he was feeding stories to the media about her exploits on a boy's football team. He also had the wit to know she could become the biggest name in women's boxing, where there's a much smaller pool of talent. For that reason, you have to admire Katie for making it on her own once he abandoned their family. That shows courage and grace. The big question now is whether she'll have the wit to retire while she's still ahead of the game.

footing wrote: »
    The big question now is whether she'll have the wit to retire while she's still ahead of the game.

She spent a long time earning nothing. Now she's getting big purses. Her blip in this fight should be to her advantage because there will be one and possibly two more fights with Parsoon for big money.

Katie if you're reading this...

..retire now, you've got your belts. you've made history no one will think any less if you bow out now

(please)

D8-OUUNl-UIAMg2-Wd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Congratulations.

Please sue Sky News when they say she's English.

They claim everyone :P

Well Done Katie

No I don't and because she hasn't boxed professionally for long.
    I don't think all boxers are lacking intelligence like the ones you mentioned either.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that the more fights a boxer has the less intelligent they become?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

When Taylor won her Olympic Gold, the country came to half a standstill for her final fight. Wall to wall coverage in every media outlet. The following day, John Joe Nevin also had a similar fight for Olympic Gold, and had taken more fights to get there. It was barely talked about. Probably 1/20th of the coverage at a push. This narrative that Taylor lacks media coverage because of her sex is absolutely bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1IMG_5039-copy-696x503.jpg

The Undisputed Lightweight Champion of the World greeted by Katie Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1IMG_5039-copy-696x503.jpg

The Undisputed Lightweight Champion of the World greeted by Katie Taylor.

She should have decked him one

So let me get this straight, you are saying that the more fights a boxer has the less intelligent they become?
    What's this got to do with Katie Taylor?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

What's this got to do with Katie Taylor?

I find little of what she says of any interest.
    Mostly inoffensive bland truisms. Which makes the praise she gets a bit puzzling. Nobody would call her articulate or insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not less intelligent as such, but boxing does bring about acquired brain injury in turn starting a decline in mental ability which affects memory, thinking, problem-solving, concentration and perception.

So, um, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Congrats!

Judging from the poor turnout at the airport it looks like a lot of people feel uncomfortable with this ..ahem... win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Judging from the poor turnout at the airport it looks like a lot of people feel uncomfortable with this ..ahem... win.

It was because lord stepaside would think the crowd was there for him.

There seems to be a fair bit of this going around. Clearly they are not au fait with the rules of boxing.
    Same as most things these days, people have a miniscule amount of knowledge and think they are experts.
    Persoon clearly fouled her way through a lot of rounds in the fight and it helped her land blows but a good judge will not give her credit for punches which got through due to fouling. Of course the ordinary 'expert' knows nothing about this and is too lazy or disinterested to go and learn about it.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a fair bit of this going around. Clearly they are not au fait with the rules of boxing.
    Same as most things these days, people have a miniscule amount of knowledge and think they are experts.
    Persoon clearly fouled her way through a lot of rounds in the fight and it helped her land blows but a good judge will not give her credit for punches which got through due to fouling. Of course the ordinary 'expert' knows nothing about this and is too lazy or disinterested to go and learn about it.
    Well said Pete !

Well said Pete !
    Who is Pete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Who is Pete?

Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Never saw KT struggle so much in a fight. I never heard of Persoon before. Taylor's camp must have known how good a fighter she is though. What I don't understand is how her opponents are chosen. Does anyone know? She's going to fight again so are there fighters out there as good as Persoon? Is there a strict hierarchy that she has to follow? Otherwise why wouldn't she fight any old lump and just win and make money? Are there people Taylor is OBLIGED to fight? How does It work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Mostly inoffensive bland truisms. Which makes the praise she gets a bit puzzling. Nobody would call her articulate or insightful.

There's many types of intelligence. Step into the ring with her and then you'd soon find out who's got the best situational intelligence and insight.

Persoon held one of the belts. Katie needed to beat her to unify all the titles.
    Katie could have won this fight a lot handier if she had listened to her coaches who clearly advised her to use her feet and keep on the move. They told her this before the fight and after a lot of rounds during the fight. She didn't listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

She still fights like an amateur wearing headgear just looking to land more clean punches than her opponent, but unfortunately, without headgear, and against tougher opponents, she doesn't seem to be able to adapt.

She still gets her punches off, but take heavier shots getting out.

If she can learn to fight more like a pro (she shouldn't have chased the second Olympic gold, and turned pro then), then she will probably go undefeated in her pro career.

Nobelium wrote: »
    There's many types of intelligence. Step into the ring with her and then you'd soon find out who's got the best situational intelligence and insight.
    Katie could have won this fight a lot handier if she had listened to her coaches who clearly advised her to use her feet and keep on the move. They told her this before the fight and after a lot of rounds during the fight. She didn't listen to them.
    She still fights like an amateur wearing headgear just looking to land more clean punches than her opponent, but unfortunately, without headgear, and against tougher opponents, she doesn't seem to be able to adapt.

Indeed

bobbyss wrote: »
    Never saw KT struggle so much in a fight. I never heard of Persoon before......why wouldn't she fight any old lump and just win and make money? Are there people Taylor is OBLIGED to fight? How does It work?
    Persoon held one of the belts. Katie needed to beat her to unify all the titles.

Persoon is a part time fighter and an unknown. But Katie Taylor had to fight her to get all the belts. Assume her management will now be more selective and choose weaker fighters they know she can beat. And they will avoid a rematch as long as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Persoon is a part time fighter and an unknown. But Katie Taylor had to fight her to get all the belts. Assume her management will now be more selective and choose weaker fighters they know she can beat. And they will avoid a rematch as long as they can.

Persoon may have been unknown but she is only the latest in a line of World champions that Katie has fought and beaten and taken their belts.

Now Katie has chased all of those title fights. What makes you think she's going to be dodging fights now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Weltsmertz wrote:

She is some boxer for a part time boxer. The other boxers she beat to get the belts were not as good as Persoon.

So what you're saying is that she's free to pick and choose any other boxer until she retires?

• Advertisement
Advertisement