Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

cjpm wrote: »
    Could you elaborate a bit more on those blades please. A link to a web page selling them would be great!

I wouldn't be able to link pages or such! pm me I'll get 1 tmrw and send you a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

If I bought a new Krone 9 foot and put it out over 5 years, it might be cheaper than a risky second hand. If you work it on your own land that’s rolled and clean, it might be a lifetime job.

If I bought a new Krone 9 foot and put it out over 5 years, it might be cheaper than a risky second hand. If you work it on your own land that’s rolled and clean, it might be a lifetime job.

Thats true but any good brand mower will do 100 acres no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

lab man wrote: »
    I'll never buy anything off them again right disappointed the gearbox and all has gone 1k for that the bed keeps loosening from the main frame and they are widely known for tipping over when lifted at the end of a row when turning left

Thats the 960c alright. I've the newer one here. The 3000. Only have it one season so far but its been faultless so far. Just change the blades as required.

Had a mounted KV before that. Found it very soft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thats the 960c alright. I've the newer one here. The 3000. Only have it one season so far but its been faultless so far. Just change the blades as required.

Had a mounted KV before that. Found it very soft

Malones are crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Bought a new 8ft krone.. split over 4 years and vat back I think it's a no brainer as paying 3k for another mans rubbish.

stanflt wrote: »
    Malones are crap

I'm not entertaining you ya cabbage

adne wrote: »
    Bought a new 8ft krone.. split over 4 years and vat back I think it's a no brainer as paying 3k for another mans rubbish.

How much are the repayments? 8 foot is grand for your own and topping. What’s the going rate for mowing?

How much are the repayments? 8 foot is grand for your own and topping. What’s the going rate for mowing?

22 /25 rough going or small fields

Roughly 1500 annual for 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mowing rate is 2/bale. With any of the newer balers you are at about 8/acre. 15-18/acre. I have my own mower but I let the contractor do the mowing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Mowing rate is 2/bale. With any of the newer balers you are at about 8/acre. 15-18/acre. I have my own mower but I let the contractor do the mowing
    The day of mowing by the bale is long gone. Any man at that is either very naive or, put simply, just plain stupid. He won’t be in business for much longer so make the most of him while you can.

2 and 3 bales per acre crops are common now with lads taking out surplus paddocks so any lad mowing for €2 a bale needs a serious kick in the arse.

Mowing will be from €20 to €25 an acre depending on crop, field sizes and ground conditions.

DBK1 wrote: »
    The day of mowing by the bale is long gone. Any man at that is either very naive or, put simply, just plain stupid. He won’t be in business for much longer so make the most of him while you can.

2 and 3 bales per acre crops are common now with lads taking out surplus paddocks so any lad mowing for €2 a bale needs a serious kick in the arse.

Mowing will be from €20 to €25 an acre depending on crop, field sizes and ground conditions.

+1

Why do you let him mow?

Of course he is not going in cutting surplus paddocks for that. It's for silage crops. Mainly beef in the locality. It encourages lads to cut a bit earlier and spreads out his silage season

Slava Ukrainii

Why do you let him mow?

I have an 8' disc no conditioner. His is a 10' conditioner mower. As I do not ted out the grass the conditioner is worth 5-8 hours wilt. As well he cuts it cleaner than I would. I be 2-3 hours longer cutting so I leave it to him

Slava Ukrainii

I have an 8' disc no conditioner. His is a 10' conditioner mower. As I do not ted out the grass the conditioner is worth 5-8 hours wilt. As well he cuts it cleaner than I would. I be 2-3 hours longer cutting so I leave it to him

How essential is the conditioner if it’s being left for a few days? My lad rakes it into 20 foot rows.

How essential is the conditioner if it’s being left for a few days? My lad rakes it into 20 foot rows.

My lad rakes it as well.. you be hoping he t
    Take it earlist the morning he is baling it. However he can be busy and it might only be 12- hours before the baker. Conditioners is a great job, it bruises the leave and stem in about 3-4 places so it helps the wilt.

Slava Ukrainii

Can you get an 8 foot mower with a conditioner that tops and is also on the lift? Thanks

Can you get an 8 foot mower with a conditioner that tops and is also on the lift? Thanks

You can top with any disc mower. I think you can get 8' conditioner's but you would have to buy new. As well a conditioner adds a nice bit o to the price of a mower

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

You can top with any disc mower. I think you can get 8' conditioner's but you would have to buy new. As well a conditioner adds a nice bit o to the price of a mower

Adds a nice bit of weight too. Have an 8' Kverneland w/conditioner and I still prefer to get my contractor to mow for me. He will cut it quicker, cleaner and do less damage on average ground. He's cutting 20' per pass so I'd give 5 runs to his 2. There's alot to be said for that too around here. I borrowed his rig one Sunday last year to mow about 5 acres and I can honestly say I'd it cut before I'd have my own mower on and diesel filled. That made up my mind for me about cutting my own.
    The fact that I have face into it after a day at work doesn't help either. Unless I can get my own 20' setup ha ha

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Adds a nice bit of weight too. Have an 8' Kverneland w/conditioner and I still prefer to get my contractor to mow for me. He will cut it quicker, cleaner and do less damage on average ground. He's cutting 20' per pass so I'd give 5 runs to his 2. There's alot to be said for that too around here. I borrowed his rig one Sunday last year to mow about 5 acres and I can honestly say I'd it cut before I'd have my own mower on and diesel filled. That made up my mind for me about cutting my own.
    The fact that I have face into it after a day at work doesn't help either. Unless I can get my own 20' setup ha ha

So why have you a conditioner? Understand a disc mower has 2 purposes but a conditioner only 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

PoorFarmer wrote: »

Robot mower for the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

adne wrote: »
    So why have you a conditioner? Understand a disc mower has 2 purposes but a conditioner only 1

Have the conditioner because the auld lad thought it was a piece of piss to hop on the tractor and mow away whenever. Say he has cut about 50 acres with it max and nothing at all over the last 5 years so it was being left to me to do the job in the evenings. If he had the time back would have traded the old disc he had and just got a new 9'. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. I just don't have the time or interest for that kind of messing in the evenings

I wouldn’t pay 10 an acre for mowing- any more and it’s pure lunacy- far better off having your own mower
    We have a Kuhn mower 302 trailed that’s in its 22 season- mowers last for years and I can’t understand why lads change them so much- ours only does 5-600 acres a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

I wouldn’t pay 10 an acre for mowing- any more and it’s pure lunacy- far better off having your own mower
    We have a Kuhn mower 302 trailed that’s in its 22 season- mowers last for years and I can’t understand why lads change them so much- ours only does 5-600 acres a year

At 25 Euro an acre it probably don't pay a small farmers who cutting 20 acres a year especially if you're part time. However what I find about having your own mower is you can cut when you want. When the grass is dry. A conditioner is unnecessary in fine weather. Grand to cut away, instead of someone arriving at 11 at night. Or when it's about to piss rain

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

The thing is in many cases having your own mower can give you that 5-6 hours of a wilt on average over the season!

At 25 Euro an acre it probably don't pay a small farmers who cutting 20 acres a year especially if you're part time. However what I find about having your own mower is you can cut when you want. When the grass is dry. A conditioner is unnecessary in fine weather. Grand to cut away, instead of someone arriving at 11 at night. Or when it's about to piss rain

Forgot to mention that we also have a non conditioning mower that we use only for topping-one year we used it along side the conditioner mower- we will never ever use a non conditioner mower for silage ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I went for straight disc as I didn't want a conditioner, have some red clover sward. TMK some conditioner mowers cannot turn it off. Also if mowed dry and in the afternoon, (get the sugars up), you're a long ways there. My crop wouldn't be heavy anyway. I have him rake in and bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

we will never ever use a non conditioner mower for silage ever again

Why that Stan

Advertisement