Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Mowing rate is 2/bale. With any of the newer balers you are at about 8/acre. 15-18/acre. I have my own mower but I let the contractor do the mowing

Totally wrong at 2 per bale 20 yrs a go ya but not now the day of unchopped small bales are gone that's why 16 wraps on a bale wont do now you need 21 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lab man wrote: »
    Totally wrong at 2 per bale 20 yrs a go ya but not now the day of unchopped small bales are gone that's why 16 wraps on a bale wont do now you need 21 at least

We were talking about mowing costs. My contractor mows for two euro/ bale. He has a baler that is only two seasons old this year. I cut around the start of the last week in May I average 8 bales per acre approx or 15-18 euro / acre in mowing charges.

On wraps it's layers he can set it to 4,5,6,7 or 8 layers on first cut I opt for 5 layers or about 23-25 bales/roll of plastic

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why that Stan

It’s impossible to dry the grass from unconditionor mowed grass compared to conditioner mowing even when conditions are really good- unconditioned grass also sticks to the ground and is harder to gather up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

stanflt wrote: »
    It’s impossible to dry the grass from unconditionor mowed grass compared to conditioner mowing even when conditions are really good- unconditioned grass also sticks to the ground and is harder to gather up

Tedd

adne wrote: »
    Tedd

It was Tedded twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

It was Tedded twice

So u saying grass cut with disc and tedded twice did not dry

So u saying grass cut with disc and tedded twice did not dry

Compared to grass cut with a conditioner mower- we cut green grass here- not wirey hay

Compared to grass cut with a conditioner mower- we cut green grass here- not wirey hay

The kind of grass that needs a conditioner

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thats not one of your fields. Not enough ragworth in the swarth

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thats not one of your fields. Not enough ragworth in the swarth

That’s the neighbours field- I had to finish mowing it for him as his new malone mower fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Of course he is not going in cutting surplus paddocks for that. It's for silage crops. Mainly beef in the locality. It encourages lads to cut a bit earlier and spreads out his silage season
    As a matter of interest what does he charge for mowing paddocks? If he’s charging €2/bale at 8 bales/acre that’s €16 an acre, it’s already way below the cost of mowing. Where’s his cut off point? Is it 7, 6, 5 bales? Is he down to €10/acre for the light paddocks?

It sounds like a very poor system to be operating.

That’s the neighbours field- I had to finish mowing it for him as his new malone mower fell apart

That the same field that you never bothered changing the blades and left stripes :p

That the same field that you never bothered changing the blades and left stripes :p

The stripes was left by a malone mower- worst mowers ever built

Tedd

Its cost about 8/acre to Tedd two runs of a tedder will go along way in getting a lad with a conditioner to cut it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just from your picture, it's in swaths. I usually try and get a wilt and always start by cutting it out on the flat.
    I suppose that it's cut with a big M makes a difference but the middle row is always swathed and never as dry as the outsides when being rowed up. We don't tedd.

Its cost about 8/acre to Tedd two runs of a tedder will go along way in getting a lad with a conditioner to cut it

€10 an acre

€10 an acre

Pure robbery

Tedding is 5 around here

Pure robbery

Tedding is 5 around here

Ah yeah but its done right around here

Ah yeah but its done right around here

Bad sign when you have to justify yourself

Do you need a special Tedder to run after those really bad malone mowers

• Advertisement

No it's the tractors that cause the issue

Slava Ukrainii

No it's the tractors that cause the issue

Like a landini🀓

Like a landini��

usually they have to discount to get work they must have an issue when running a tedder

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Going rate for tedding is 10-12.50

This must the 4th of 5th reference to your opinion on Malone mowers. It's a bit strange

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

This must the 4th of 5th reference to your opinion on Malone mowers. It's a bit strange
    Maloneophobia

All that's wrong with stan is that he is in a calf shed with no one to talk to and is lashing out.

usually they have to discount to get work they must have an issue when running a tedder

Wheres that bloody report button

All that's wrong with stan is that he is in a calf shed with no one to talk to and is lashing out.

Hit the nerve hahahah

Hit the nerve hahahah

I could go on but I'd say the ban hammer could be circling. Should you not be doing something productive like spreading slurry

• Advertisement

I could go on but I'd say the ban hammer could be circling. Should you not be doing something productive like spreading slurry

Going spreading now shortly-

Advertisement