If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Separates System...

Options
  • 02-06-2019 6:36pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my separates system and in the market for a new amp, CD player and turntable, budget in the region of €2.5k or thereabouts. I have the Kef Q300 speakers and not in any major hurry to change them for now but would like an amp that will work well with them. Also, ideally a CD player that has decent streaming capabilities and can handle all lossless files but will be mostly used to play CDs - possibly something like the Arcam CDS50. My current turntable is a Technics 1210, I'd prefer something more suited to playing music and not DJ'ing and from what I understand, belt drive might be better.

What do you recommend?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my separates system and in the market for a new amp, CD player and turntable, budget in the region of €2.5k or thereabouts. I have the Kef Q300 speakers and not in any major hurry to change them for now but would like an amp that will work well with them. Also, ideally a CD player that has decent streaming capabilities and can handle all lossless files but will be mostly used to play CDs - possibly something like the Arcam CDS50. My current turntable is a Technics 1210, I'd prefer something more suited to playing music and not DJ'ing and from what I understand, belt drive might be better.

What do you recommend?
    Hi Scubadevils,

Thanks for your post!

Around that budget I think the best system to go for would be the Arcam you mentioned. I would look at the Arcam SA20 along with the Arcam CDS50:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203140-arcam-cds50-sacd-player-with-music-streamer.aspx

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203364-arcam-sa20-black-stereo-amplifier.aspx

I have heard the new amps running and they are a big improvement over the old A19/29/39 amps. The combination sounds absolutely incredible. To pair a turntable with it I would look at something like the Rega Planar 3, a peerless belt drive turntable which once again won product of the year at this years What Hifi awards:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12992-rega-planar-3-with-elys-cart-black-6-year-g-tee-turntable-black.aspx

Total price for these including shipping is 2767 euro however I can do a Boardie special of 2655 euro including shipping if you wanted to go for that package.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hi David,

Thanks for that, been a busy few weeks so only getting back to this now.

Bit of a change however in the meantime! I am now very keen on the Ruark R5 as it's actually for my kitchen and I think separates might be a bit much in that space, even though a reasonably large kitchen - plus my wife not overly keen...

I have an attic conversion which will be used for more 'serious' listening. Again, I'll hold on to the Kef Q300 for now and also the 1210 for vinyl - I don't think I'll bother with streaming up there but do want a good CD player - focus there will be CD or vinyl. Thinking maybe the Marantz PM6006 and CD6006? Any other recommendations? I'd probably spend in the region of €1,500 for the amp and CD player and also a reasonable interconnect. Audiolab looks interesting too.

Cheers

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi David,

Thanks for that, been a busy few weeks so only getting back to this now.

Bit of a change however in the meantime! I am now very keen on the Ruark R5 as it's actually for my kitchen and I think separates might be a bit much in that space, even though a reasonably large kitchen - plus my wife not overly keen...

I have an attic conversion which will be used for more 'serious' listening. Again, I'll hold on to the Kef Q300 for now and also the 1210 for vinyl - I don't think I'll bother with streaming up there but do want a good CD player - focus there will be CD or vinyl. Thinking maybe the Marantz PM6006 and CD6006? Any other recommendations? I'd probably spend in the region of €1,500 for the amp and CD player and also a reasonable interconnect. Audiolab looks interesting too.

Cheers
    Hi Scubadevils,

No problem, great to hear from you again!

The Ruark R5 would be a great solution for the kitchen to be fair. I currently have them in stock in both rich walnut and soft grey for £999.

The Audiolab amps are a massive step up over the Marantz (I'm seriously debating replacing my ancient amplifier with the 6000A). I've heard them running side by side and the Marantz sounds a bit retrained and muddy compared to the Audiolab.

I could do the 6000A and the 6000CDT for 1114 euro including shipping.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.