Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing jobs 6 months after being hired

Options
  • 02-06-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Apologies if not in the right place. In January I started a new job. It's a very tight knit team, some have been working over there for decades, literally. They all know each other very well and get along great.

After six months I can safely say that is place is not for me, and I do not feel comfortable going to work. My every move is being watched, it makes me extremely nervous and I make mistakes because of it and I don't really
    click with my colleagues. I realize I've made a mistake and would be better suited elsewhere. I just don't know how to sell this to a new employer. Saying I don't gell with the people I work with will make me seem like a difficult person or not a team player. Saying I made a mistake will have them asking if I'm not making a mistake again. Deleting the role off my CV will leave me with a 6 month gap..How can I best tackle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    Apologies if not in the right place. In January I started a new job. It's a very tight knit team, some have been working over there for decades, literally. They all know each other very well and get along great.

After six months I can safely say that is place is not for me, and I do not feel comfortable going to work. My every move is being watched, it makes me extremely nervous and I make mistakes because of it and I don't really
    click with my colleagues. I realize I've made a mistake and would be better suited elsewhere. I just don't know how to sell this to a new employer. Saying I don't gell with the people I work with will make me seem like a difficult person or not a team player. Saying I made a mistake will have them asking if I'm not making a mistake again. Deleting the role off my CV will leave me with a 6 month gap..How can I best tackle this?

You can suggest the role was mis-sold to you and while you think the company is fantastic, you have to make a career decision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Be reasonably honest, say the roll wasn’t right for you and not what you had been led to understand it would involve. Say you thought it better to move on than spend another year or two before moving to something you really wanted, like this great job I’m interviewing for right now.
    Just to add don’t bad mouth the other company or people, it can be easy to try to blame others when your trying to impress people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The person interviewing you will be worried you either can't stick around or can't get along with people, so your goal is to get rid of this worry.

"I liked the people in my office".

"I am looking for a career somewhere, I don't want to be jumping around between jobs".

"The role wasn't quite what I hoped it would be - it was advertised as mainly doing X but actually Y is my main task, and I almost never do X".

Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jenneke87 wrote: »

Pretty much what others have said. Be honest, calm and a little disappointed. It's all around how you formulate it. I wouldn't delete it from your CV especially if it has some relevance to your area. In the grand scheme of things it's a blip and once you can convince a potential new employer of that, it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you have a track record of staying places for longer periods of time then its fine.

Just say the company and role were not what you expected and doesnt match your career goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If you have a track record of staying places for longer periods of time then its fine.

Just say the company and role were not what you expected and doesnt match your career goals.

Exactly this OP. If your CV is all decent time frames (and the fact that you are asking this would make me think your not a job hopper) I don't think a potential employer would blink at any of the good answers given above.

If you have a few instances of 6 month roles it's the same answer to the question but your kind of going to work hard on selling it and make sure ith your next role that you stick it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Strongly agree.

What the OP is describing is much more common that one would usually think, and as long as it is not a regular occurrence in job after job then it will usually be no problem at all.

It happens sometimes that you just do not fit in, and I have never had an issue with an interview candidate telling me this. I've actually admired the honesty.

If this is a recurring theme though there clearly is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think honesty is probably best policy wienyour interviewing for another role, be prepared though to explain it and the reasons you cited above would be a red flag to me.
    “Doesn’t get along with others and doesn’t like accountability” would be rolling through my head.

I’ve seen guys try and fluff it as in leave the six month job off their cv and pretend they are still with previous employer, it came out during reference checks.

I know one guy said he’d gone travelling for six months, it worked too. Was a large company though so payroll and HR functions were well separated in departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The advice given by the posters above is solid and the way the go. Have you passed your probation? If you have, I'd bring that up in an interview, as it shows that the employer has no issue or concerns with you.

Advertisement