Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to train as an electrician

Options
  • 03-06-2019 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone, just have a few questions regarding beginning a trade here in Ireland.
    My relative is a young American living here in Ireland full time and is considering taking up a trade here. He is interested in welding, car mechanics, electrician, plumbing, boilermaker.

Regarding electrician, will he need Leaving Cert maths to be even considered? I’m not sure if his high school maths would be equivalent to what is required.

I don’t have too much experience of trades myself and don’t have many relations in a career like this. So, I’m not sure of ways to advise him how to start going about this. Do you do a course first before doing an apprenticeship? How would you go about achieving this? Are ETB/Training Course workers the best people to talk to in regards to this or who should he contact?

Any of you have any advice for a completely clueless individual such as myself? Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi everyone, just have a few questions regarding beginning a trade here in Ireland.
    My relative is a young American living here in Ireland full time and is considering taking up a trade here. He is interested in welding, car mechanics, electrician, plumbing, boilermaker.

Regarding electrician, will he need Leaving Cert maths to be even considered? I’m not sure if his high school maths would be equivalent to what is required.

I don’t have too much experience of trades myself and don’t have many relations in a career like this. So, I’m not sure of ways to advise him how to start going about this. Do you do a course first before doing an apprenticeship? How would you go about achieving this? Are ETB/Training Course workers the best people to talk to in regards to this or who should he contact?

Any of you have any advice for a completely clueless individual such as myself? Thanks so much

Ive answered this in the other section. Mods will most likely merge or delete repeat threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Leaving Cert maths is favoured but not essential. There is a pre apprenticeship course which can be done or he could just be lucky and get an apprenticeship without any LC or pre approved course.

Hand out CVs to electrical firms. Definitely contact his local ETB for some information.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the posts above.

Plenty of employers are looking for electrical apprentices. Basic maths is of benefit but eagerness to learn will be the most important attribute. Maths starts at a very basic level and finishes somewhere around (or even below) leaving very pass maths.

I wouldn’t bother doing a pre apprenticeship course, that’s just my view.

This link may help: http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/Electrical.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Willy Speareshake

Ive answered this in the other section. Mods will most likely merge or delete repeat threads...

Thanks again Punisher, yes I realise about that but I merged the post before in another thread and only got one answer and not too much info so I decided it would be a good idea to get more exposure so I'm very glad I did the two posts. They can delete/merge now I'm happy out

alta stare wrote: »
    Leaving Cert maths is favoured but not essential. There is a pre apprenticeship course which can be done or he could just be lucky and get an apprenticeship without any LC or pre approved course.

Hand out CVs to electrical firms. Definitely contact his local ETB for some information.

Would the ETB inform me about the pre apprenticeship course if that's needed or how would I find out about this?
    Thanks for the advice, will definitely get him to contact the local ETB

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    +1 to the posts above.

Plenty of employers are looking for electrical apprentices. Basic maths is of benefit but eagerness to learn will be the most important attribute. Maths starts at a very basic level and finishes somewhere around (or even below) leaving very pass maths.

I wouldn’t bother doing a pre apprenticeship course, that’s just my view.

This link may help: http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/Electrical.aspx

Thank you so much for your advice 2011, reassuring to know that honours LC maths isn't a prerequisite.
    Is the pre apprenticeship course unnecessary do you think? As in it may be easy enough to start an apprentice course straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Thank you so much for your advice 2011, reassuring to know that honours LC maths isn't a prerequisite.
    Is the pre apprenticeship course unnecessary do you think? As in it may be easy enough to start an apprentice course straight away?

Junior Cert Maths is the requirement
    However lots of the bigger companies wont take you on without LC pass in maths

Hard work will paper over any gaps he may have in maths as 2011 said its not overly difficult
    I'd guess that no one will know that his maths level equivalent or not so just do a cover letter saying he's got the equivalent to LC maths

If he gets a safe pass and manual handling under his belt it'll stand to him
    I'd see pre apprenticeship course as a luxury rather than requirement

Lots of work and opportunities - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Mod snip

No mentioning companies or their policies

PM the OP if you want thank you

OP i have a relative who failed maths in school. He is an apprentice sparks. As said the maths isnt too difficult plus in phase two every student gets a maths handbook which is quite helpful. The maths in phase 4 aint too hard either as it is much the same.

The local ETB will give you any info he may need. Definitely get him to send out CVs and see how he gets on.

And as above regarding the safe pass, it would be a good advantage to have. That and manual handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I assume he has a visa \ entitlement to work in Ireland ???

If so, do a safe-pass (1 day course €100), a manual handling course and start applying. There is huge demand at the moment so shouldn't take long..

Don't underestimate the theory side on ht electrical apprenticeships.. More than one apprentice has failed but its not rocket science..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When I done phase 4 I found the maths very difficult and required grinds. It was a large jump from my ordinary level junior cert maths.

2 pie fl squared still haunts me in my dreams

Hard work will paper over any gaps he may have in maths as 2011 said its not overly difficult
    I'd guess that no one will know that his maths level equivalent or not so just do a cover letter saying he's got the equivalent to LC maths

If he gets a safe pass and manual handling under his belt it'll stand to him
    I'd see pre apprenticeship course as a luxury rather than requirement

Lots of work and opportunities - good luck[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks very much for the advice regarding the Cover Letter. I'm sure he's well past the level of JC maths but not sure if LC is more advanced than 12th grade highschool.

He has a manual handling course completed from his job, but hasn't a cert for it or anything like that, does that count as manual handling completed still? I can advise him to do a safe pass course though all the same.

Thanks again!

OP i have a relative who failed maths in school. He is an apprentice sparks. As said the maths isnt too difficult plus in phase two every student gets a maths handbook which is quite helpful. The maths in phase 4 aint too hard either as it is much the same.

The local ETB will give you any info he may need. Definitely get him to send out CVs and see how he gets on.

And as above regarding the safe pass, it would be a good advantage to have. That and manual handling.

Thanks again Alta stare, brilliant information/reassurance :)

Will definitely advise him to contact the ETB and start handing out his CV to different companies, any advice if none take him on? :confused:

If he has a manual handling course done at his current employment does that satisfy a manual handling cert do you think? Will tell him to get the safe pass though

knipex wrote: »
    I assume he has a visa \ entitlement to work in Ireland ???

If so, do a safe-pass (1 day course €100), a manual handling course and start applying. There is huge demand at the moment so shouldn't take long..

Don't underestimate the theory side on ht electrical apprenticeships.. More than one apprentice has failed but its not rocket science..

Yes, he has his Irish Residence Permit/Stamp and has already been working here to earn a bit of money but wants to start going for a career here at the same time.
    He has been looking up those safe pass courses and says they're on regularly in the nearby town.
    Thanks for the advice about the theory side, it's always good to know the realistic parts of the job too :rolleyes:

MrMac84 wrote: »
    When I done phase 4 I found the maths very difficult and required grinds. It was a large jump from my ordinary level junior cert maths.

2 pie fl squared still haunts me in my dreams

Oh better keep this in mind then! Thanks for letting me know:eek:

Thanks again Alta stare, brilliant information/reassurance :)

Will definitely advise him to contact the ETB and start handing out his CV to different companies, any advice if none take him on? :confused:

If he has a manual handling course done at his current employment does that satisfy a manual handling cert do you think? Will tell him to get the safe pass though

Any advice if none take him on.....yeah keep trying.

Yeah it will. Also he will get manual handling covered in phase two. He will get a cert from that.

Any advice if none take him on.....yeah keep trying.

Yeah it will. Also he will get manual handling covered in phase two. He will get a cert from that.

Keep sending CVs to all those electrical companies? I should tell him to keep sending loads of letters to them like Andy from Shawshank, they'll take him on just to keep from sending more and more letters haha :D

Oh perfect okay, thank you for telling me about the manual handling. Is there any where he can get more information about these phases?

Keep sending CVs to all those electrical companies? I should tell him to keep sending loads of letters to them like Andy from Shawshank, they'll take him on just to keep from sending more and more letters haha :D

Oh perfect okay, thank you for telling me about the manual handling. Is there any where he can get more information about these phases?

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/Electrical.aspx

All the info here, on all apprenticships. Where is he based ??

Phase 1 employer (roughly 6 months)

Phase 2 training center for 22 weeks

Phase 3 employer

Phase 4 Institute of Technology for 11 weeks

Phase 5 employer

Phase 6 Institute of Technology for 11 weeks

Phase 7 employer

Pass all 7 phases, complete 4 years and qualify.

Phase 3 employer

Phase 5 employer

Phase 7 employer

Im doing the Electronic Security Systems one and the 2nd 4th and 6th phases are shorter (thank fu(k :D )

Phase 2: 20 weeks
    Phase 4: 10 weeks
    Phase 6: 10 weeks

Off the job phases are the same as the sparks.

Truth be told they really need to shorten phase 2 and lengthen phases 4 and 6.

• Advertisement

Phase 3 employer

Phase 5 employer

Phase 7 employer

Thanks for the clarification!! :)
    Based in Kerry at the moment, but can travel to Limerick/Cork. Any advice for apprenticeships in that region or thereabouts?

Im doing the Electronic Security Systems one and the 2nd 4th and 6th phases are shorter (thank fu(k :D )

Phase 2: 20 weeks
    Phase 4: 10 weeks
    Phase 6: 10 weeks

Off the job phases are the same as the sparks.

Truth be told they really need to shorten phase 2 and lengthen phases 4 and 6.

Any phase in particular to look out for? Or all just building off from each other?

Any phase in particular to look out for? Or all just building off from each other?

Put in the required work and they are grand. Phase 4 is a big step up from phase 2. Alot more in it with less time but its manageable.

Thanks for the clarification!! :)
    Based in Kerry at the moment, but can travel to Limerick/Cork. Any advice for apprenticeships in that region or thereabouts?

There are multiple different apprenticeships not just electricians. Many of them are considered electrical type. check out the website I linked to.

Mod Snip

Keep and eye on Indeed, Irish Jobs and local papers. Look at local companies in Kerry and approach them directly. Google is definitely your friend for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All please keep company names off the forum.

I know it's all great advice here but it's a discipline that saves confusion down the line.

By all means PM the OP with suggestions, thank you

Put in the required work and they are grand. Phase 4 is a big step up from phase 2. Alot more in it with less time but its manageable.

Which is what you meant by having extra weeks for Phase 4 and less weeks for the other phases, gotcha
    Putting the work in is no problem, just the application process!

There are multiple different apprenticeships not just electricians. Many of them are considered electrical type. check out the website I linked to.

Mod Snip

Keep and eye on Indeed, Irish Jobs and local papers. Look at local companies in Kerry and approach them directly. Google is definitely your friend for this.

Oh yes, I've seen multiple apprentices listed under the different sections of apprenticeship.ie
    Thanks for the advice about Indeed/Irish Jobs/newspapers, would the papers also advertise for apprenticeships? Thats interesting
    And Google of course!

Stoner wrote: »
    All please keep company names off the forum.

I know it's all great advice here but it's a discipline that saves confusion down the line.

By all means PM the OP with suggestions, thank you

Thanks Stoner good advice
    Please anyone feel free to PM me with any more advice, every snippet is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks Stoner good advice Please anyone feel free to PM me with any more advice, every snippet is much appreciated
    For what its worth, in a former life I looked after the apprentices in a company.

Over 20 years ago I changed the entry level to the company to requiring a leaving cert with a pass in ordinary maths and English.

I found that we were struggling to get lads through phase 4 on the technical subjects.

This nailed the issue,I kept a detailed database on it at the time, sent lads off with a junior cert and told them to come back when they had a leaving cert, a few did and we hired them, good lads.

My own experience in engineering we had a weeder year in first year, 60-70 percent failure rate a 150 class became 40 people.

Thing is you only wasted one year but it's hard to tell a 3rd year that they've failed and can't repeat.

Phase 2 should be the difficult year so people haven't invested so much time in it.

I got some way discussing same with the education body at time. Ground has been made up since, but people still struggle with the idea that you can fail in a trade.

You certainly can and your need to get your maths up OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

OP something that might be worth investigating is if he plans to move back to America how the qualification would travel and what he’d have to do over there to be recognized.

Advertisement