Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Co.Laois

Options
  • 03-06-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi guys,

The children, wife and I are thinking of moving to Co.Laois. The part we were looking at is the Camross area. Is it a good place to live, are there many jobs there and if not how much of a commute for work would I have to make to the nearest area?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not being smart, but use AA route finder to see travel times between camross and different built up areas.

Camross is a nice area at the foot of the slieve blooms, but it's quite rural... With Mountrath being closest town (a bit of a miserable town tbh). The center of portlaoise would be about 25 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Camross is rural countryside. The only work there Would be a sawmill, or maybe on a farm. Mountraths only industry is another sawmill. Portlaoise is about 20 - 25mins from camross. There’s a bit more on offer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd have to agree with both Syd and Dtp.
    Lots of other areas in Laois I'd consider before Camross.

Would you perhaps look within 5/10 minutes drive from Portlaoise or M7/M8 junction?
    Lots of lovely villages and small towns which aren't as rural or remote as Camross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

if you like hurling you'll like it.

other than that little going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Dont forget Camross village to Roscrea about 11 miles and about 8 miles to M7 at Borris in Ossory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Thanks for the response. What is the broadband like there dare I ask? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

How did you come up with Camross?!? you’ll be living there 100 years and still be considered a blow in.. it’s a vast wilderness of people born with hurls in there hands... the hurls are then solely used for hurling or fighting.

Like other posters, there are plenty more spots in Laois that I’d choose over Camross, I’d also imagine that there is little or no work up there aside from farming or forestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

gogo wrote: »
    How did you come up with Camross?!? you’ll be living there 100 years and still be considered a blow in.. it’s a vast wilderness of people born with hurls in there hands... the hurls are then solely used for hurling or fighting.

Like other posters, there are plenty more spots in Laois that I’d choose over Camross, I’d also imagine that there is little or no work up there aside from farming or forestry.

I second this. Camross is the wild west of laois, just swap revolvers for hurls.

If you want a quiet country part of laois look no further thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

I'm looking for somewhere quiet that although I'll be living beside people they won't be rowdy or troublesome and thought camross would be decent spot for that.

I see it's a 15-20min drive to Roscrea and Portlaoise is 25-30mins drive so I'm hopeful there will be work in these towns. Is there a post office in Mountrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm looking for somewhere quiet that although I'll be living beside people they won't be rowdy or troublesome and thought camross would be decent spot for that.

I see it's a 15-20min drive to Roscrea and Portlaoise is 25-30mins drive so I'm hopeful there will be work in these towns. Is there a post office in Mountrath?

There’s a small little post office in the centra shop. If that’s your line of work then you’d be suited to portlsoise as it has a gigantic an post building there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What kind of work do you do? That'll help narrow down potential employment spots you would want to be near to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

There are lots of quiet and accessible places in Laois where you'd be living beside decent people, but not be as isolated as in Camross.

I travel extensively with my job, and if anyone mentions Camross, I roll my eyes before considering whether I can retire immediately rather than go there.

Seriously, OP, look at the replies here.
    Avoid if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

As a Laois man myself i would agree with most on here saying to avoid camross. Very rural and nothing up there unless your into hurling. Plus you will be always seen as a blow in no matter how long you live there.

Maybe consider somewhere like Rosenallis? Granted there isnt much to do there either but not as rural as Camross and only 15 mins to both Portlaoise and Tullamore for communting.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Did you get sorted? You could also consider stradbally, that's a lovely village about 15-20 mins to portlaoise 25 mins to carlow and prob 10-15 mins and you are on the motorway.....

Advertisement