Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food allergy baby on holidays

Options
  • 03-06-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just looking for some advice, we're off to Italy next week with my 21mth old who has cows milk protein allergy, soy and eggs so his diet is quite limited and he's a fussy eater. We use some yoghurts that he loves so I am keen to try and bring some things that I know he'll eat. Im thinking about freezing some dairy free yoghurts and putting them into a cooler bag with ice packs. Im thinking they'll still be frozen when they are in the hold as its kept so cold but we have a 3.5 hr drive in Italy when we land so they'll start to defrost, would it safe to use those once they got to a fridge straight away or anyone any other ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are we allowed bring dairy abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When was he tested last for that allergy, isn't it related to baby formula which he's probably not using anymore. It probably should have passed at his age. Is anything with Soy or Eggs also off the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

When was he tested last for that allergy, isn't it related to baby formula which he's probably not using anymore. It probably should have passed at his age. Is anything with Soy or Eggs also off the table?

I am sure with allergies that extensive, baby has been attending a dietician and has attempted some of the dairy/milk/soya ladder to test tolerance by now.

OP, I also have an allergy baby but he is much younger so holidays are easier. We are in Bulgaria right now and were astounded to discover that allergens are listed on every menu. So you may be pleasantly surprised! That said, I ordered a pasta dish last night that only had gluten listed, and it came out with parmesan all over the top... FFS!

Are you a member of any allergy Facebook groups? There are lots of super experienced allergy mums on those who will be able to give you some practical advice.

I would also maybe factor a day into the start of the holiday where you go to a supermarket and then do a lot of meal prep, so you have your staples to last you the holiday. Get a good translating app on your phone so you can check ingredients in the supermarket. We also got someone to translate a little message for us in restaurants to show to waiters, which basically explained in Bulgarian that my son has a dairy allergy and cannot have anything containing milk, cheese, butter, cream, and other dairy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Also OP, I've transported frozen breastmilk in cooler bags before and I reckon you'll probably be alright. Just put plenty of those wee frozen packs in there. And try to pack larger yoghurt pots if you can, as they'll stay frozen longer than small ones. You could even decant the smaller pots into a large Tupperware box at home and then freeze them like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hoareni

yes we are attending both a private and public consultant dietitian. We are on step 2 of the milk ladder, and have failed to make any further progress than that. We were in Italy last year and I brought a week's worth of Ella's pouches with us as he was just being weaned but this year is obviously a different story.

He is still actually on neocate milk as the allergy has not passed or improved at all so far. His reflux has gone thank god but not the allergies. Yes no soy either. He can have like a cake with cooked in it but couldn't have say scrambled eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 hoareni

thanks catrionanic, im ok with the language as they speak german there and Ive been doing nightcourses so have all my relevant phrases! I was part of a load of facebook groups and I cancelled my membership a few months ago cause I thought we were getting somewhere but think I will re-join!

Advertisement