Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance cancel policy, start new one?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My wife and I both have cars and the insurance for both of them is up in August. As you can imagine this is a big outlay especially with kids going back to school.

Anyway I phoned my insurance company explaining the situation and asked if I could cancel my current policy and immediately start a new policy so that going forward we would have one policy renewal in June and another in August rather than both in August.

He advised if I were to cancel my policy and start a new one I would loose my no claims bonus!

Is this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My wife and I both have cars and the insurance for both of them is up in August. As you can imagine this is a big outlay especially with kids going back to school.

Anyway I phoned my insurance company explaining the situation and asked if I could cancel my current policy and immediately start a new policy so that going forward we would have one policy renewal in June and another in August rather than both in August.

He advised if I were to cancel my policy and start a new one I would loose my no claims bonus!

Is this right?

No, it isn't. But you would not gain a year's NCB from last August to now. Not an issue if you are on the max of the scale already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Not being smart, but if you have the money to pay for a full policy in June, can you not put the money aside and keep until August?

Advertisement