Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for 10yo

Options
  • 03-06-2019 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Looking for a new PC for my son for his birthday. I think my work colleagues can build.
    Budget is 500-600. If can be got cheaper that's fine too😀

Monitor, keyboard and mouse I have. But would need windows 10 licence.

It will start of for gaming on Fortnite/Apex.. but something he can upgrade in time. As my guess it will move into more advanced games as he grows up.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this would be perfect and comes to around €600 delivered to you. Doesn't have a Win10 license, though AWD do install Windows 10 for testing.

Unlike Win7, Win10 works fine forever without activation - including all updates - so it's an easy way to save €100 on buying a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LosPrimos

Thanks will have a look. Has anyone used this company and are they reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

Do a google search for “cytotoxin tomshardware”.

They ran a competition on pc builds in different price categories. This one won the sub $500 category.

Prices are in dollars but it will be roughly equivalent in euros.

LosPrimos wrote: »
    Thanks will have a look. Has anyone used this company and are they reliable.

I've used them plenty, yes they're reliable and around a good long while.

Thanks. Looks good and this seems a good deal.

I also Looked at the best for $500 but the specs don't seem to be available when I change the country to Ireland.

• Advertisement

It's basically the same PC as the AWD one but with a considerably worse CPU. i3-8100 is 4core/4thread, Ryzen 2600 is 6c/12t.

Genuinely not sure who chose that as the 'best' budget build, but it makes no sense considering the i3-8100 costs very similar to the 2600, and almost exactly the same as the still superior Ryzen 1600X. Very strange choice.

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Genuinely not sure who chose that as the 'best' budget build, but it makes no sense considering the i3-8100 costs very similar to the 2600, and almost exactly the same as the still superior Ryzen 1600X. Very strange choice.

Probably have a lot of them in stock and are trying to unload them on people who wouldn't know any better.

Last question. Is there any upgrades on this I should consider.

Not really. The CPU will last years, the GPU will comfortably run the latest games at high/ultra settings, stuff like Fortnite will run effortlessly at ultra.

Considering the age of your son and the budget, I'd say it's good to go, but if you want to throw a few extra pounds at it, I'd shell out the extra £25 for the 480GB SSD v the standard 240GB.

Could also upgrade the case to the Kolink RGB for an extra £30, your son would probably love the extra bling factor (it does look a lot 'cooler' and is a nice looking case with more fans).

edit: also keep in mind it comes with free Division 2 and World War Z, two brand new games worth €70 between them. Neither suitable at all for a 10 year old though, so maybe something Dad can play!

• Advertisement

Thanks the case upgrade was already on his list. Thanks again for your help

Advertisement