Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to build a house over a mains pipe

• 03-06-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We are currently trying to build a house over a site next to my parents house. The site is a good size but there is a mains sewage pipe (600mm) going through the site which is causing us a problem!

We have spoken to a few architects and engineers. Some say we could possibly move the pipe, others say we would not be able to move the pipe.

Some have also mentioned about building over it by bridging the pipe but cannot find out if this is something that has ever been done before ?

Any help or advice would be so appreciated here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jensmkelly wrote: »
    We are currently trying to build a house over a site next to my parents house. The site is a good size but there is a mains sewage pipe (600mm) going through the site which is causing us a problem!

We have spoken to a few architects and engineers. Some say we could possibly move the pipe, others say we would not be able to move the pipe.

Some have also mentioned about building over it by bridging the pipe but cannot find out if this is something that has ever been done before ?

Any help or advice would be so appreciated here.

If it’s a public sewer you need to keep a 3m way leave both sides. Forget about building over or near it.

Your only option is to divert it at your expense. I’ve done it on a job recently in Sallynoggin.

Pre planning with the area engineer was required.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have you planning permission??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jensmkelly

kceire wrote: »
    If it’s a public sewer you need to keep a 3m way leave both sides. Forget about building over or near it.

Your only option is to divert it at your expense. I’ve done it on a job recently in Sallynoggin.

Pre planning with the area engineer was required.

Thanks for reply, yes initially we were working off a 3m way leave but Irish water sent us on an email, quoting from their code of practice stating that a 6m way leave was required.

Yes we will have to ask permission from the people who own the land beside us to see can we route the pipe under there. There is a large farm beside the garden and it’s the only option to move the pipe.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Have you planning permission??

No, we don’t even really know where to start to be honest. Don’t want to get plans drawn up for something that is absolutely not possible and then have to start from scratch again with a totally different plan.

No, we don’t even really know where to start to be honest. Don’t want to get plans drawn up for something that is absolutely not possible and then have to start from scratch again with a totally different plan.

Your starting point, as above, would be a call to the local area services engineers to discuss it, and also arrange a pre planning metric with the planning section

• Advertisement

Your starting point, as above, would be a call to the local area services engineers to discuss it, and also arrange a pre planning metric with the planning section

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say a local service engineer, what exactly do you mean ? We have been in touch with an engineer alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say a local service engineer, what exactly do you mean ? We have been in touch with an engineer alright.

The Irish Water / council drainage engineer with responsibility for your town / area.

Victor wrote: »
    The Irish Water / council engineer with responsibility for your town / area.

exactly...

find out who the "local area engineer" is

Thanks a mil for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

... Irish water sent us on an email, quoting from their code of practice stating that a 6m way leave was required. ..

Clarify - Is this a 6m wayleave being 3m each side from the centreline of the pipe, or a wayleave of 6m each side of the pipe?

This could make a big difference to your thinking.

• Advertisement

Prenderb wrote: »
    Clarify - Is this a 6m wayleave being 3m each side from the centreline of the pipe, or a wayleave of 6m each side of the pipe?

its generally 3m either side

its generally 3m either side

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Engineers can give different answers depending on who you have to deal with. I found Irish Water a nightmare to deal with myself, but maybe they have improved in the past two years.

Prenderb wrote: »

Thanks, we weren’t thinking like that at all.

Effects wrote: »
    Engineers can give different answers depending on who you have to deal with. I found Irish Water a nightmare to deal with myself, but maybe they have improved in the past two years.

Anyone we have spoken to has said the same.

Anyone we have spoken to has said the same.

I found the area engineer in the councils straight forward and easy to deal with. It wasn’t Irish water we had to go though.

kceire wrote: »
    I found the area engineer in the councils straight forward and easy to deal with. It wasn’t Irish water we had to go though.

Thanks, my husband tried the council today and they referred us to Irish water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I did did two diversions lately and the way leave on both was 10 times the pipe diameter to either side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kieran. wrote: »
    I did did two diversions lately and the way leave on both was 10 times the pipe diameter to either side

That might be a rule-of-thumb but takes no account of the depth the pipe is buried at. Deep pipes likely need a wider wayleave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

kieran. wrote: »

Which would tie in with what the OP said he was informed - 600mm pipe = 6mts each side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If you have not got planniNg yet, your first step is actually a pre-connection inquiry application to IW. No point talking to council, nothing whatsoever to do with it. They will note it the PCE, the existing mains and, after connection approval, will issue a diversion agreement.... This is not going to be cheap, or quick, from experience.....

Advertisement