Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a bikebox on the train in Switzerland

Options
  • 03-06-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice here, please?

I will be travelling from Geneva airport to Zurich Airport in July. And I will a bikebox with me.

My questions are:

Does the bikebox have to be booked in?
    Does the bikebox have to be booked in advance?
    Is this done when booking the ticket online, or done at the station?

Any tips\advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

Thanks,

I was able to purchase a one day bike pass for CHF 14.

I tried to book a train ticket on the same website, but it wouldn't accept payment from 2 different cards. However I booked a ticket via www.trainline.com, which cost an extra €25:

"Sorry! The reservation system could not provide one of the tickets you requested, so we chose the next best one. Please review the terms and price below before paying."

Tried to book different times, but all ended up the same price €105.40, as opposed to the advertised €81.60. So I'm not sure if the extra €25 is a reservation fee, or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

if your bike is in a box, it is free of charge.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/auto-velo/on-the-move-by-bike/take-your-bike-with-you.html

edit - that's a bit confusing as it says it's free if you pack it in a tranzbag or similar...as long as the front wheel is removed. The SBB website is usually really good, but beware of some of the swiss rail officials. Some of them can be extremely over-zealous if you're outside their black and white rules!! (there's no grey areas in Switzerland!)

Advertisement