Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomical Pre RS errors

Options
  • 03-06-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I have been reading forums the last day trying to diagnose what is the problem with my Virgin internet. The download and upload speeds are abysmall at ~10 mb/s up and down considering that it is 250mb/s package. It is a virgin media hub 3.0

I added a few pictures of the network status.
    The SNR and power levels look healthy on all downstram channels yet the pre RS errors keep growing rapidly. Unforuntaely I don't have an ethernet cable handy to connect into it but tried already several times in different locations with different devices but Wifi is always poor.

The wifi network congested but I still tried out a few differents 2.4ghz channels and it made no difference. I also renamed the 5ghz channel so that it has a different name to the 2.4ghz channel.

Any idea what could be the problem here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

That looks like a wiring issue.
    Contact Virgin and ask them to send a technician out. It could be a simple case of a bad physical connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

give your windows an old activation code there while you're at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Thank for the advice.
    I managed to get an ethernet cable and hooked directly to the modem. The speeds seem to be fine which is a bit odding considering the number of RS errors that it is getting. How can that be?
    Installed a new wifi router and all but even that doesn't seem to improve the wifi speeds standing right next to the router.

Got a windows key ages ago just to lazy to finish the job :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

TiNcAn wrote: »
    Thank for the advice.
    I managed to get an ethernet cable and hooked directly to the modem. The speeds seem to be fine which is a bit odding considering the number of RS errors that it is getting. How can that be?
    Installed a new wifi router and all but even that doesn't seem to improve the wifi speeds standing right next to the router.

The errors are being corrected by Reed-Solomon as can be seen by the Pre and Post figures. If you saw Post RS numbers rising you would need intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Is it not some concern that the Pre RS errors are so high?
    Would they not be a symptom of a underlying issue?
    There are a few post RS errors but they are not growing nearly as quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is it not some concern that the Pre RS errors are so high?
    Would they not be a symptom of a underlying issue?
    There are a few post RS errors but they are not growing nearly as quick.

Could be a cabling issue or a marginal connection as previously stated but the error correction is able to handle it as it stands. I doubt Virgin are going to send an engineer out to investigate when the line is performing as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thank for the advice.

What devices running what wifi standard? Also, right beside is not the best place, you need about 10 feet usually for the best signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apartment in a block yeah OP?

Advertisement