Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brita jug.

• 03-06-2019 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Not sure which Forum is best for this so please move it if required.
    I try to be as environmentally responsible as possible and as a result I’ve decided to move away from Ballygowan bottles (2x1.5L per day) and start using filtered water.
    My (first) question is, are Brita jugs THAT good at making tap water palatable?
    What’s the best jug to buy considering I drink 2.5-3 litres per day?
    I’ve read that Brita filters can increase your sodium intake and shouldn’t be used by people with BP issues. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I'd stick to the bottled spring water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Under Boards.ie rules, I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer your query re: sodium intake or blood pressure issues, so I'm going to respond purely to matters of how it tastes.

From experience, your standard Brita jug does a good job of making water palatable, it's nice but won't be as nice as Ballygowan - which is lovely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

tedpan wrote: »
    I'd stick to the bottled spring water.
    Ok thank you.
    I still think I need to move away from the plastic bottles though.
    Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Under Boards.ie rules, I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer your query re: sodium intake or blood pressure issues, so I'm going to respond purely to matters of how it tastes.

From experience, your standard Brita jug does a good job of making water palatable, it's nice but won't be as nice as Ballygowan - which is lovely.
    Thank you very much, I won’t say I’m hooked on Ballygowan but I’ll only drink other bottled water if there’s absolutely no other option.
    I’d rather do a “Bear Grills” than drink Deep River Rock😀
    I wasn’t expecting medical advice about the BP issue and filtered water, it was just something that came up on Boards when I was searching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Instead of Ballygown you could try the Aldi / Lidl generic waters in 5L bottles

Still the problem of plastic though.

Rain water is not an option BTW unless you have a way of removing all the dirt and dust that falls from the sky, and you have to make sure there's nothing toxic anywhere in the catchment system.

Sodium ? I can't see how single use filters like Brita would increase salt.

You can get ion-exchange filters that can be regenerated by adding salt , but AFAIK the salt washes out very quickly what with it being very water soluble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It's the tap water you're concerned about, not the filter I assume. Is your tap water really so suspect or bad-tasting to require bottled water?
    Standards and regulations vary greatly with bottled water. I remember one popular drinks company bottling and selling UV-treated tap-water.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the BPA and plastic leaching from the plastic bottles. Though that seems futile when I read "The average person eats at least 50,000 particles of microplastic a year and breathes in a similar quantity, according to the first study to estimate human ingestion of plastic pollution." link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In soft water area, I would drink the tap water straight from tap.
    Hard water area, need the brita jug.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The britta filter isn't going to take anything "nasty" out of you water, but it can make it taste better.. If its that "chlorine," taste that you're trying to get rid of, the best way is get a large glass open top jug, and just leave it sit (either on the counter or in the fridge) for a couple of hours, the chlorine Ect will evaporate, it'll taste way better.... Maybe not as good as Ballygowan, or aldi's mineral water (which I really like) but as good as your tap water through a britta filter... (depends on the source of your water)

Its something to do with volatility of chlorine, give it somewhere to evaporate to for a couple of hours and it will...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement