Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone damaged my wife's car

• 03-06-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm raging, someone damaged my wife's car and never left a note or any details. She only got the car recently too. Its a 2016 yaris, what is the small bumper light called, I'll try to order one. Anyone know how much the bumper would cost to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hi. I'm raging, someone damaged my wife's car and never left a note or any details. She only got the car recently too. Its a 2016 yaris, what is the small bumper light called, I'll try to order one. Anyone know how much the bumper would cost to fix?

Could you try pulling the bumper back out with a plunger ot something? Light looks like a foglight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Could you try pulling the bumper back out with a plunger ot something? Light looks like a foglight.
    Just looked on YouTube ref boiling water/ plunger,,, obviously there's a risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It looks like the bumper will pop out anyway.

Light is probably a rear fog light. Weird that the damage is so low down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It looks like the bumper will pop out anyway.

Light is probably a rear fog light. Weird that the damage is so low down.

Hitch I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DIY -> main forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd be taking the bumper off to see what the rest of the car is like. That much force could have damage safely infrastructure behind the bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

I wouldn't remove the bumper at all..like previous posters. Hot water and hopefully might get out without paint damage..might even be worth getting it popped out by a bodyshop/dent doctor.. its very minor but looks a lot worse.. don't go messing with it if you're not used to getting bumpers out or you'll only add to your damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Any CCTV around the area she was parked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

That's sickening,no way the person who did it didn't know they hit something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd be taking the bumper off to see what the rest of the car is like. That much force could have damage safely infrastructure behind the bumper.
    possibly better to be in ignorance, any body damage isn't going to be major I'd guess.
    A local bodyshop would sort that at fairly low cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Kunts to do that

From what I can see in the image it looks like it can be pulled/pushed without any major problems.
    It will not look "as new" though.

Ask a local bodyshop.
    These guys fixed the same issue for fifty pounds
    http://www.dents-norwich.co.uk/toyota-yaris-plastic-bumper/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Decent shunt there, no way they didn't realise they hit something.

I'd give boiling water and plunger a go first before you pay any money out.
    As above, any cameras around?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hairdryer will make it pliable enough to push out. Only then you'll know will more reapirs be required.

p.s. Does your Mrs. look any little bit guilty?

p.s. Does your Mrs. look any little bit guilty?
    Drop that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks for all the replies, the Mrs definitely wasn't involved, it happened when we were in our apartment. No cctv either unfortunately as far as we know. Our neighbour who is a mechanic kindly offered to have a look at it for us, says he'll apply a bit of heat and hopefully it won't look too bad. Any idea where to source the light? I've looked on typical online sites to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Thanks for all the replies, the Mrs definitely wasn't involved, it happened when we were in our apartment. No cctv either unfortunately as far as we know. Our neighbour who is a mechanic kindly offered to have a look at it for us, says he'll apply a bit of heat and hopefully it won't look too bad. Any idea where to source the light? I've looked on typical online sites to no avail.

I damaged like that pushed out it will okay if old car .But 2016 that type of Diy repair just isn't good enough just don't look right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

That sucks op, if it was by your apartment i wonder is the perp living nearby, maybe parking in or around the same place.
    They must have damage to their car too, was there any other colour paint left on the car,
    you might not be able to prove anything but you'd know who did it and deal with it privately.

Isambard wrote: »
    possibly better to be in ignorance, any body damage isn't going to be major I'd guess.
    A local bodyshop would sort that at fairly low cost.

Ignorance of the cars safety features being compromised! Bumpers are for show what's behind is to protect and something that can leave the plastic bumper like thar has a good chance of damaging the crumple zone. It's not hard to remove a bumper to make sure that there is no more damage, if they get rear ended ignorance won't help the occupants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ignorance of the cars safety features being compromised! Bumpers are for show what's behind is to protect and something that can leave the plastic bumper like thar has a good chance of damaging the crumple zone. It's not hard to remove a bumper to make sure that there is no more damage, if they get rear ended ignorance won't help the occupants.

There’s nothing behind that section. Just to the right of the impression will be the reinforced panel. Looks a lot worse than it is. Should push out.

dodzy wrote: »
    There’s nothing behind that section. Just to the right of the impression will be the reinforced panel. Looks a lot worse than it is. Should push out.

We don't know what way the car was hit and to leave a plastic bumper pushed in there was a lot of force. If I'm wrong the OP is down a bit of money, if you are wrong then it's serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

We don't know what way the car was hit and to leave a plastic bumper pushed in there was a lot of force. If I'm wrong the OP is down a bit of money, if you are wrong then it's serious.

There’s nothing there and not a lot of force was required. It looks like a push (some clown reversing carelessly) as there is no visible surrounding damage. This area is just a soft corner. As a previous poster mention, likely a tow hitch, but they would have known. OP, if you’re handy, take the bumper off and grab a heat gun - gently heat the affected (don’t focus on a point for any period as the paint will damage easily under high temps) and surrounding area which will make the plastic pliable. You should be able to get it back to shape without too much hassle. It won’t be 100% obviously but the eyesore will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

calm down, it's only a plastic bumper which would push in with little force.

Not justifying the actions of the perpetrator but in the current climate acting the good samaritan leaving a note could result in multiple whiplash and loss of earnings claims. Even some TDs are justifying it. Sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Not justifying the actions of the perpetrator but in the current climate acting the good samaritan leaving a note could result in multiple whiplash and loss of earnings claims. Even some TDs are justifying it. Sad but true.

Unfortunately you've a point. I know someone who damaged a car, left a note, got a call, all nice and friendly, bill shouldn't come to more than €2-300. Then the next day there's a second call where the bill has suddenly multiplied tenfold. No doubt an "influencer" was telling them that they should take our friend to the cleaners...

Sorry OP, I know that doesn't help you in the slightest, and it's still no justification for driving away. I hope you can get it sorted without too much expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Whiplash claims from who? The car was unaccompanied.

Thanks for the replies here again. We got the issue fixed and there's only a small mark there.

Guess what though, it's happened again yesterday. This time the front bumper has been damaged. I have a good idea who did it but no concrete proof, no cctv. Called the Gardai and gave them the name of the suspect. The guy I suspect is a contractor working on behalf of the management company and he was parked in a large van beside the car. Damage appeared while he was there. I was thinking of asking the management company to contact him to see if he seen anything (don't think I can flat out say he done it). Im 99% sure it's him. Any advice? Needless to say we're absolutely livid with the lack of respect people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

A good dash cam

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote: »
    A good dash cam

Yes for the future and probably cctv outside our apartment if we are allowed. Any advice how to deal with current issue? Will have forked out the guts of probably 500 euros in the last month due to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Yes for the future and probably cctv outside our apartment if we are allowed. Any advice how to deal with current issue? Will have forked out the guts of probably 500 euros in the last month due to others.

Get a "witness" and ring his insurance company if you see any corresponding damage on his van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Get a "witness" and ring his insurance company if you see any corresponding damage on his van.

He might have notthing to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Whocare wrote: »
    He might have notthing to do with it

Thats why I said to check for corresponding damage on his van too. If there is nothing there then leave him out of it but I'd say there will be damage there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can you see the parking space from your apartment?

antodeco wrote: »
    Can you see the parking space from your apartment?

The parking spaces aren't assigned. A neighbour has a cctv camera that might have caught it but after speaking to him he seemed disinterested. By judging his attitude I'm not even sure if he could be bothered to check. He doesn't drive so definitely not the culprit. Anyway, the whole episode has been an eye opener, I assumed people left notes etc when they damaged other people's property. Country's going down the drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement