Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man went to gardaí to complain over quality of his drugs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Not the sharpest knife. Probably for the best that he’s a former student nurse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Take it he was stoned at the time?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Take it he was stoned at the time?

That was part of the judges conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The drugs were stronger than he thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Junkies.

Not really known for their high IQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Big mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What a clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

A man of integrity.
    I applaud him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The drugs were stronger than he thought

So.......probably were of a good quality

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

"Separately, Liwembe admitted repeatedly trespassing at an address where he used to live and work at Inchicore. He was under the "misapprehension that he still lived there".

A curious case right enough. I see he's down for deportation. Seems a pity, as he's exactly the sort of intelligent, civic spirited chap we should be trying to retain in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

An asset to the country, now lets stick him on the disability allowance n housing list til he gets to pension age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Junkies.

Not really known for their high IQ.

Calling a cannabis user a junkie is pretty dumb too. It's like calling someone who plays the lotto each week a degenerate gambler.

The term junkie comes from the slang term for heroin (junk).

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Not the sharpest knife. Probably for the best that he’s a former student nurse.

I’m guessing this formed part of his defence. I’d like some further details on his nursing studies. You can be in front of an Irish court and have made a paper airplane in 2nd class and present yourself as an aeronautical engineer and it gets reported in the papers.

Calling a cannabis user a junkie is pretty dumb too. It's like calling someone who plays the lotto each week a degenerate gambler.

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. In my opinion he is a junkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. In my opinion he is a junkie.

Eh... that's not how language works. If we all use random words to describe something then I'm going to go ahead and descibe myself as a doctor. I'm not, but I've got a lab coat, and rather like the ring the term lends my given name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just a bad case of reefer madness

fleet wrote: »
    Eh... that's not how language works. If we all use random words to describe something then I'm going to go ahead and descibe myself as a doctor. I'm not, but I've got a lab coat, and rather like the ring the term lends my given name.

Ah so all of the zombies walking around Dublin city center off their heads are not junkies cos they are not on heroin? Ok chief :rolleyes:

As i said, you can have your opinion and i can have mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm assuming he doesn't quite get sarcasm?

Also, it seems he smoked most of it (€10 can't be that much), so I'm guessing he tried to get a refund for the full amount, and when refused, the dealer told him to complain to the police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You might laugh at this, but consumer protection legislation applies as much to illegal drugs as it does to anything else.

Equally, if you are a drug dealer you can get taxed on the profits. And I don't mean taxed in the brick in the face sense for all you familiar with the street term. I mean taxed in the regular way. Tax credits, standard rate cut off point, interest and penalities, the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

myshirt wrote: »
    You might laugh at this, but consumer protection legislation applies as much to illegal drugs as it does to anything else.

How do you enforce your rights under this legislation, if for instance you were given sugar instead of cocaine by a dealer? Different jurisdiction but this happened to a woman in the North. She complained to the PSNI.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/0222/1032250-psni-cocaine-armagh/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

His asylum application was denied and he is due to be deported later this month. Good riddance. Let him earn his inevitable Darwin Award back in Malawi.

Using the wrong word to describe something is an opinion?

I know a guy who drinks a lot of coffee, in my opinion he is an alcoholic. I also know a guy who drinks a lot of beer. In my opinion, he's a tweaker. I also know a guy who does meth, in my opinion he is cokehead.

This is basically what you're doing. You can call him a pothead if you want. Or you could use the word addict (though weed is not physically addictive it is still habit forming mentally). But the reason you won't use that word instead is because you want to put people down. And it doesn't make you look very smart, I'm afraid. It's like something Donald Trump would say.

Weed junkies lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

More of a stoner. It probably killed the few brain cells he was born with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ah so all of the zombies walking around Dublin city center off their heads are not junkies cos they are not on heroin? Ok chief :rolleyes:

As i said, you can have your opinion and i can have mine.

The zombies aren't like that from smoking cannabis.

Nobody is going to stop you from having your opinion, it's still wrong though.

There were two comparisons made

- junkie
    - no different to someone who plays lotto once a week

Both extreme and equally retarded.

He's somewhere in the middle, either way, good riddance to the useless c*nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

myshirt wrote: »

No it doesn't. What drugs are you on?

Equally, if you are a drug dealer you can get taxed on the profits. I mean taxed in the regular way. Tax credits, standard rate cut off point, interest and penalties, the lot.

Complete BS.

I just checked some online dictionaries. Junkie can be specific to heroin, but is used for drug addicts/users in general as well. And it has also expanded to non drug related areas e.g. adrenalin junkie.

Effects wrote: »
    No it doesn't. What drugs are you on?

Complete BS.

I don't think they are right about consumer protection, but they are right about taxation. Very common in other countries as well.

http://www.cab.ie/

I just checked some online dictionaries. Junkie can be specific to heroin, but is used for drug addicts/users in general as well. And it has also expanded to non drug related areas e.g. adrenalin junkie.

Yeah, pretty sure everyone knows that without having to google it. Just like ppl with anger issues started being called 'rageaholics'.

It comes from junk the slang term for H, and is not used to refer to people who smoke marijuana, unless you want to sound like a completely out of touch eejit.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    The zombies aren't like that from smoking cannabis.

Nobody is going to stop you from having your opinion, it's still wrong though.

They are still collectively called junkies, imo all users of illegal drugs are junkies. I get it, you don't like me using that word because you probably do/have smoked some yourself and believe that because you use at recreational level it makes you better than the poor saps who are off their faces everyday around the city from either heroin or prescription pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They are still collectively called junkies, imo all users of illegal drugs are junkies. I get it, you don't like me using that word because you probably do/have smoked some yourself and believe that because you use at recreational level it makes you better than the poor saps who are off their faces everyday around the city from either heroin or prescription pills.
    if cannabis were legalised would users still be junkies? or is it the illegality that makes them junkies? are weed smokers in Colorado junkies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Am sure the story is interesting but I can't get past the name Crusty Jocks. Eww. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What in the name of God are you on about? So someone who smokes cannabis occasionally is a “junkie”?

Junkie is a term used for people chronically addicted to smack, opiates and that family of drugs. It isn’t a catch all for anyone and everyone who might dabble in drug use.

if cannabis were legalised would users still be junkies? or is it the illegality that makes them junkies? are weed smokers in Colorado junkies?

What part of this did you not get?
    all users of illegal drugs are junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Screenshot_20190524_155149.jpg

Is the guy smoking a joint outside the courthouse?

Albeit an amusing story, it highlights issues that we have in the Irish legal system.
    I presume that we (tax payers) are paying for his defence solicitor Anne Fitzgibbon. She said that the Malawian was suitable for community service, however the "only problem" to that was the issuing of an order for him to leave Ireland by June 22 or present for deportation on June 26. She is (almost) suggesting that we should bypass the deportation order so that he can serve community service in Ireland.

Another issue that I have with Ms Fitzgibbon is that she explained to the court that Liwembe had been concerned that the cannabis he had bought "could be detrimental to other people's health".
    Let me ask you; do you think that the Malawian thought up of this excuse by himself, or did she come up with this story and encouraged him to lie about the true nature of his visit to the Garda station (i.e. he thought he got ripped off on the purchase of his drugs)? If she concocted this story, then is she herself breaking the law?
    He also has history of trespassing on private property, so why is he still in the country? Oh yeah, his solicitor said that he "might" appeal deportation, as he now wants to stay in Ireland.

This case is a prime example of a dysfunctional asylum/deportation system and the corresponding financial benefits that the malfunctioning system brings to the legal profession in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lol so if I smoke a joint in London I’m a “junkie” and if I smoke a joint in Amsterdam 40mins away then I’m grand?

The term applies to people with addiction to opiates, you must be naive as anything.

but users of legal drugs are not. so if heroin was legalised heroin addicts would not be junkies. got it.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Screenshot_20190524_155149.jpg

Is the guy smoking a joint outside the courthouse?

Albeit an amusing story, it highlights issues that we have in the Irish legal system.
    I presume that we (tax payers) are paying for his defence solicitor Anne Fitzgibbon. She said that the Malawian was suitable for community service, however the "only problem" to that was the issuing of an order for him to leave Ireland by June 22 or present for deportation on June 26. She is (almost) suggesting that we should bypass the deportation order so that he can serve community service in Ireland.

Another issue that I have with Ms Fitzgibbon is that she explained to the court that Liwembe had been concerned that the cannabis he had bought "could be detrimental to other people's health".
    Let me ask you; do you think that the Malawian thought up of this excuse by himself, or did she come up with this story and encouraged him to lie about the true nature of his visit to the Garda station (i.e. he thought he got ripped off on the purchase of his drugs)? If she concocted this story, then is she herself breaking the law?
    He also has history of trespassing on private property, so why is he still in the country? Oh yeah, his solicitor said that he "might" appeal deportation, as he now wants to stay in Ireland.

This case is a prime example of a dysfunctional asylum/deportation system and the corresponding financial benefits that the malfunctioning system brings to the legal profession in Ireland.
    nail on head. this is an attempt to delay his deportation, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

nail on head. this is an attempt to delay his deportation, nothing else.

Sure why would we deport him?

It's guys like this that we need to pay our pensions in the future....

So I've been told....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can you not just accept that you've been misusing the word junkie? Why not go full soccer mom and just call them all druggies? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sure why would we deport him?

It's guys like this that we need to pay our pensions in the future....

So I've been told....

Guys like this is the reason why many of us will have to work well into our pensionable years in order to pay for his housing, healthcare costs, welfare payments, medical card, free travel, fuel allowance and finally his non-contributory pension. And multiply that by a few dozen when he applies for family reunification of his "relatives" in Malawi.

Coveney, Varadkar, and Zappone want to accomplish their goal of an extra million people in Ireland by any means necessary.
    And it will also achieve Coveney's goal of diversity in every village and town in Ireland. As long as the optics is there in the achievement of the goal, the quality of the diversity doesn't matter. It's diversity for diversity's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Prescription drugs are legal, so according to you someone who is off their heads on prescription pills is not actually a junkie.

You’re using the word wrong.

You can have your own opinion on what the word means, but you’re still wrong. I can choose to believe that if I only eat fish I’m a vegetarian but I’d be wrong. I can choose to say it’s a bright sunny day out when it’s pissing down.

Say whatever you want, just know that by refusing to admit you misunderstood how that word is used, you look increasingly silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've added Timberrrr to my ignore list. In my book, that makes him a junkie, and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think Ireland needs fewer of this type of individual, certainly not more.

My opinion does not leave people with a happy feeling though, and is therefore less and less popular these days.

If Irish people were not very excited about shouldering banking debt, they will be more than blasé about paying for him.

It is so easy to enter Ireland and stay via a fraudulent asylum claim. Deportation orders tend to be ignored.

Can you not just accept that you've been misusing the word junkie? Why not go full soccer mom and just call them all druggies? :D

I haven't

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/junkie
    someone who cannot stop taking illegal drugs

someone who wants to have or do something all the time:

I feel the same way about alcohol. Have a few pints at the weekend? Grand so.

Have a few pints or a bottle of wine every night? Imo you're an alcoholic.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Prescription drugs are legal, so according to you someone who is off their heads on prescription pills is not actually a junkie.

You’re using the word wrong.

Using prescription drugs that are prescribed to you is fine, buying prescription drugs from dealers tobget high makes you a junkie.
    You can have your own opinion on what the word means, but you’re still wrong. I can choose to believe that if I only eat fish I’m a vegetarian but I’d be wrong. I can choose to say it’s a bright sunny day out when it’s pissing down.

Say whatever you want, just know that by refusing to admit you misunderstood how that word is used, you look increasingly silly.

I'm not misusing the word, people who use illegal drugs like the man in the article don't like me using the word.

Big difference.

I feel the same way about alcohol. Have a few pints at the weekend? Grand so.

Have a few pints or a bottle of wine every night? Imo you're an alcoholic.
    all users of illegal drugs are junkies.

So which is it? You're contradicting yourself all over the shop here. It's either everyone, or only "People who cannot stop taking illegal drugs"?

So which is it? You're contradicting yourself all over the shop here. It's either everyone, or only "People who cannot stop taking illegal drugs"?

How is it a contradiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm not misusing the word

You are.

Much as in the same way people without any experience sometimes call cannabis “gear”.

It’s not. Gear is heroin.

You’re perfectly entitled to label people who consume marajuana as “junkies” if you wish but it’s not the correct use of the word no matter how much you claim it to be.

It’s just a poorly disguised attempt at denigrating anyone who enjoys a toke but given that it will be decriminalized at some point in the not too distant future, your arguments are all a bit moot.

Rennaws wrote: »
    You are.

Much as in the same way people without any experience sometimes call cannabis “gear”.

It’s not. Gear is heroin.

You’re perfectly entitled to label people who consume marajuana as “junkies” if you wish but it’s not the correct use of the word no matter how much you claim it to be.

It’s just a poorly disguised attempt at denigrating anyone who enjoys a toke but given that it will be decriminalized at some point in the not too distant future, your arguments are all a bit moot.

I'll go with the dictionaries description of the word over some random person on here. You may not like the description but that doesnt mean it's wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement