Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike lights recommendation?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

So much variety in shops and online..... Any recommendations or "ones to avoid"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aldi and Lidl will have great value options every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

What for?

Exposure are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

If you want lights to be seen by I can highly recommend see.sense ace. The rear light has an accelerometer and lights up like a brake light when you slow down. Both lights have sensors and will adjust brightness, flash patterns etc.. depending on ambient light, how fast you are going and whether you are filtering in traffic, approaching roundabouts, lights etc..
    https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace

If looking for a light to see with then there's lots of options. But it depends what you are doing. If MTB then you want something with moreof a flood light. If for road use then a road specific pattern is better. Exposure are indeed one of the best for any usage scenario but not the best bang for the buck. I find the Cateye Volt 800 or some of the Lezyne lights are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Endless options. I like the Bontrager FlareR as a back light - the only one I know that is actually VISIBLE in the day time. Front lights are easier - lots of good options, including those listed above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I should just merge threads, but the correct answer is dynamo hub and dynamo powered light. Either a Supernova or B+M light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gorteen wrote: »
    So much variety in shops and online.....
    You'll probably get more focused replies if you give a bit of clarity:

1. Budget?
    2. On road or off road?
    3. Urban lit roads or rural unlit roads?
    4. Very bright or long lasting?
    5. Batteries or rechargeable?
    6. Easily mounted and removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

You'll probably get more focused replies if you give a bit of clarity:

1. Budget?
    2. On road or off road?
    3. Urban lit roads or rural unlit roads?
    4. Very bright or long lasting?
    5. Batteries or rechargeable?
    6. Easily mounted and removed?

Budget? Not excessive
    On road
    Lit & unlit roads
    Both?
    No preference.
    YEs, absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Gorteen wrote: »
    Budget? Not excessive
    On road
    Lit & unlit roads
    Both?
    No preference.
    YEs, absolutely

I don't know whether you'll consider €112 excessive but this is a great bit of kit for the money (use the PICK10 code for that price), the battery pack alone is over €60

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-deca-drive-1500i-loaded-front-light-black/11509379.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

That's probably the most expensive combo tbph.

Anything over 20-25kmph on unlit roads needs power to see potholes etc and a focused beam pattern for other road users.

Which rules out loads of cheapo Mtb lights and loads of lights for commuting where their aim is to be seen.

A good place to look would be Germany/German lights as most of their lights are built to an actual road legal spec that works. After that I'd lust after a exposure Strada, but at 190e for a factory second it's expensive. No idea on dynamo set up cost but you need a new hub/wheel but should be the ultimate set and forget.

Edit: that light above is an excellent spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

I have one of these. https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/211117-moon-meteor-storm-pro%3famp
    Great runtime and gives you the option of bringing a spare battery not that I have ever needed it. Brilliant daytime flash mode also. Can be had for about €90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Read this thread on dynamo lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I use the Cateye Volt 800 as a front light and have found it pretty good. I don't have anything to compare it against, but having used it over the winter for commuting on unlit roads, I was happy with the beam spread, and it is certainly robust enough.

Advertisement