Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway - Suitable for road bike?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the new waterford greenway is paved the whole length. i.e can I use my road bike (racer) along its length or is it gravelly in parts?

What is it like to cycle? A lot of stops or worth the spin? I'll be down there for holidays in summer and was going to cycle from Dungarvan to Tramore using the length of greenway aswell.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There's a whole thread on it. It is suitable for a road bike. I've done it. There are a number of places to stop but it's only 45km or so in length and so not much need to stop at all. But coffee at Kilmac or ice cream at Kilmeadan is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I've done the return journey starting in Dungarvan on a road bike, no issues what so ever with the surface. The most important thing is to avoid weekends and bank holidays as it's far too busy with families and walkers. Not sure about a Greenway to Tramore though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a road cyclist point of view, the copper coast is probably more interesting, it's a lovely road. but the greenway is also ace; the half at the dungarvan end is more interesting by all accounts.

just beware that it'll be a sedate pace you'll be setting unless on it early in the day; lots of families out on it in the summer so it's most definitely not a place you can open up the taps on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thanks. Was just going to do the Greenway to Waterford and carry out road to tramore. I'll try avoid weekend. Not bothered about stopping for myself but too many gates or road crossing get to be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

The coast road is stunning. If you wanted to do a 90-100km loop, I'd go Waterford-Dungarvan on the greenway. and back by the R675 turning off to Stradbally just around where the Ballyvoyle tunnel is, hug the coast rejoining th R675 in Bunmahon. It's lumpy, but the views are stunning. West to east has the better views I think. If you do it the way you propose, the Tramore road is grand, though unless you want to go into the city, I'd get off at Carraiganore and follow the ring road around.

The other tip for the greenway is to get out early - if you can get out around 7am it'll be much quieter. The busy places tend to be the tunnel (probably around Clonea as well - haven't been over that end as often), Kilmacthomas, and Kilmeaden-Carraiganore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

JMcL wrote: »
    The coast road is stunning. If you wanted to do a 90-100km loop, I'd go Waterford-Dungarvan on the greenway. and back by the R675 turning off to Stradbally just around where the Ballyvoyle tunnel is, hug the coast rejoining th R675 in Bunmahon. It's lumpy, but the views are stunning. West to east has the better views I think. If you do it the way you propose, the Tramore road is grand, though unless you want to go into the city, I'd get off at Carraiganore and follow the ring road around.

The other tip for the greenway is to get out early - if you can get out around 7am it'll be much quieter. The busy places tend to be the tunnel (probably around Clonea as well - haven't been over that end as often), Kilmacthomas, and Kilmeaden-Carraiganore

This is one of my favourite loops. Although leaving from Waterford side I tend to take the coast road out and Greenway back, with the wind normally SW that is actually one of the easier 40-45k rides you will do (while the coast road is lumpy enough as you say).

The other option if you're doing the Greenway is to turn off at McGrath's cross and go up Mahon Falls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If you are reasonably strong on a road bike, other than curiosity to have a look, I don't really see the attraction of the Greenway.

That area of county between Dungarvan and Tramore is a brilliant place to ride a bike, but in the main I'd be avoiding the official coast road
    and Greenway to get the most out of it.

If wanted to do Greenway in a loop you could do worse than this
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30241234

If wanted to do Greenway in a loop you could do worse than this
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30241234

Just to point out that since the OP's main question was whether or not the greenway was doable on a road bike - it's eminently more doable surface wise than some of those roads you've thrown in between and around Kilmeaden and Tramore not to mention a few leg breakers thrown in (between 7 and 8.5km is 1.5km of pain with yappy dogs in the middle) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have done it. Totally rideable. The section closes to Waterford is(or was) of a rougher finish but still totally fine.

- The gates slow you but they arent like kissing gates on the canal, its a wide slalom thing.
    - Do it on a weekday
    - Do it early
    - The coachhouse cafe yoke in Kilmacthomas is a good stop for a scone and espresso, lots of bike parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thanks for input! Its really appreciated. I just want to have a nice 2 hour cycle whilst on holidays and thought the greenway would be good.

Out of interest, if I done the greenway from Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas, then down to Bunmahon and along the coast to Tramore, would I be getting the best of both worlds? (see attached)

• Advertisement

gutteruu wrote: »
    Out of interest, if I done the greenway from Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas, then down to Bunmahon and along the coast to Tramore, would I be getting the best of both worlds? (see attached)

I think you would. I love the view eastwards from Boatstrand, and it's also worthwhile stopping at the old mine in Tankardstown to look behind you. I'd say do it earlyish during the week if you can as there tends to be a fair whack of traffic on the coast road at weekends - not crazy levels but it's always preferable not to have impatient drivers behind.

Advertisement