Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Kennedy Road Race

Options
  • 03-06-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this ?

It's listed in the calendar for this coming Sunday but nothing to be found online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It is being run by PJ Collins out of Collins Cycle centre. Sign on is at Boherlahan Gaa Club outside Cashel. Can't find a route but found a flyer with phone numbers and details
    2comski.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'over €1200 in prices'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Hadn't seen that poster, am weary of the calendar these days as there have been a lot of phantom races in it. And when there is no online presence or other guys haven't heard anything either you're less likely to take the chance travelling.

Anyway did this

https://www.strava.com/activities/1705108618

race last year in that area. Sounds like a different race but am wondering is it the circuit for Sunday with an extra lap thrown in for 3's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Here is the route for Sundays race.

Collins Race 2019

The course itself is generally flat with one or two drags plus a couple of pinch points especially one in the last 5/6 km. It leads to a drag then a descent with a u turn to the final stretch. The route is on normal R roads which aren't mad wide so racing handy is key here in my opinion.

This should be a good fast race with a mad rush to the final that may cause some nervous lads to ease off.

Hadn't seen that poster, am weary of the calendar these days as there have been a lot of phantom races in it. And when there is no online presence or other guys haven't heard anything either you're less likely to take the chance travelling.

Anyway did this

https://www.strava.com/activities/1705108618

race last year in that area. Sounds like a different race but am wondering is it the circuit for Sunday with an extra lap thrown in for 3's ?

That route is a seperate race on July 14th this year, run by Tipp Wheelers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I found contacting the linked name the best option, I have a few races that have popped up like that. Either old calendar events that are no longer running or they won't be going ahead due to H&S issues. A quick email finds out the info but it would be great if the details were kept updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Anybody got any more info? Sent an email no response as yet.

jmdsk wrote: »
    Anybody got any more info? Sent an email no response as yet.

What are you after?

Sign on the day
    Sign on at Boherlan GAA Club
    Route is above
    Food afterwards
    Entry likely €15- €20
    €1200 total prize money

Is there much else needed? If so look for Collins Race Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Anyone know anything about this ?

It's listed in the calendar for this coming Sunday but nothing to be found online.

Looking to find out is there a junior race. Cycling ireland page says there is. But on their own page there isn't.

First race off at noon
    I can tell you a lap is 33 km long
    A1/a2 race is 4 laps ( Denis Kennedy cup)
    A3 race is 3 laps (John Buckley cup)
    A4 is 2 laps (joe Collins cup)

There are two drags in it, no major climbs.
    Both drags are about 1 km long and from memory
    Each lap has a overall elevation of 206 meters
    Sign on opens at 10 am, there is over €1200 in prize money

Sign on is boherlahann opens at 10 am
    Check out Collinsrace on face book

Just a general note to promoters in general.

Usually the initial search point for guys looking to see what is on the following weekend is the CI event calendar. This race on CI is called the "Dennis Kennedy Road Race" and the contact on the CI page has "Collins Cycle Centre Race Team"

I went searching on FB (as you do). For "Dennis Kennedy Road Race" found nothing

and for "Collins Cycle Centre" found

https://www.facebook.com/Collins-Cycle-Centre-342929609204574/

which has no race information.

Subsequently dahat's post above showed the FB search term to use is "Collins Race" and this has everything you want to know and scope for further questions. As it turned out too, the whats on this weekend news shot from CI which came in this morning also has a link to the "Collins Race" FB page but this is comparatively late.

This information trail isn't peculiar to this race, its a regular occurrence. Promoters life will be far easier if they ensure that there is a link an the CI calendar to the latest information or if it at least obvious where that info can be found.

• Advertisement

In relation to other races I've emailed the rep enquiring about the Silver Pail in Fermoy this year but as of 48hrs later no reply.

So yes to agree above, information is slow to filter down to end users like us in general.

Good race, well organised with a decent turnout. Weather behaved itself first two laps (even felt warm) but it pissed down on the 3rd.

Twisty roads aid groups getting away and apart from the Cashel-Holycross stretch was a quite circuit traffic wise.

Good race, well organised with a decent turnout. Weather behaved itself first two laps (even felt warm) but it pissed down on the 3rd.

Twisty roads aid groups getting away and apart from the Cashel-Holycross stretch was a quite circuit traffic wise.

I really enjoyed the race myself and had a brief stint up the road with two lads from Kanturk, we got 45 secs at one stage but were pulled back just before start lap 2.

The curcuit was good and twisty with the back section a little more testing at race pace than i expected. I tlooks like i finished around 12th once again which is getting annoying though the legd are good so we go again on July 14th.

dahat wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the race myself and had a brief stint up the road with two lads from Kanturk, we got 45 secs at one stage but were pulled back just before end of lap 2.

The curcuit was good and twisty with the back section a little more testing at race pace than i expected. I tlooks like i finished around 12th once again which is getting annoying though the legd are good so we go again on July 14th.

Good stuff, you have to try in these races. Maybe it was a different break but one of our riders (Dolmen) was away in a 3-4 man break on lap 2 for 30km. Wouldn't call that brief :D

With 18km to go and it pissing down, I rolled of the front with a junior (yellow/red jersey). We got working and soon got a gap which grew to 40 seconds (as advised by comms). I blew on the final drag with 6km to go and was caught within 3km of the line. I can't figure whether the junior made it or not...

Funny those drags didn't seem at all bad in the bunch first 2 laps, but that final one in particular was a different story when you're chewing the bars.

That last drag was hell and I though a spilt there would lead to a reduced gallop so gave alot to make the spilt which was pulled back eventually.

Nah, he didn't make it, that was a Comeragh Junior. They were gobbled up DCC & Kanturk lads who went on to contest it.

That break went after ours was caught, he wasn't riding a Tifosi bike was he?

The bunch nearly came to a halt 2km out which I find odd as not one team was prepared to lead out the gallop. Some teams had 4/5 lads and could have made it a proper gallop. I lost my good position around 1200/1400 out due to the stall.

That break went after ours was caught, he wasn't riding a Tifosi bike was he?

No a modern green colored Planet X frame

Lad that won it is a u-16 training for Youth Olympics, been cleaning up in league races down here.

We have him to look forward to next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Great racing yesterday. I tried to go with almost every attack until I couldn't anymore...was in a 4 man move through the start finish on lap 3 but was never going to stay away without a kanturk lad in it. McGarry was on for the win all day, never in the wind until he needed to be. He is a superb rider already.

Maybe we could have learned from him!

Hard to know when to try breaks & when to stick for the gallop on these races.

Maybe we could have learned from him!

Hard to know when to try breaks & when to stick for the gallop on these races.

You need to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. If you don't have a strong gallop you've no choice but to try and go for breaks. If you do, you have more to think about.

At A1/A2 level they've no choice as in the majority of cases there is no such thing as a bunch sprint.

• Advertisement

You need to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. If you don't have a strong gallop you've no choice but to try and go for breaks. If you do, you have more to think about.

At A1/A2 level they've no choice as in the majority of cases there is no such thing as a bunch sprint.

Think the next race or two I'll hold after using early attacks to get the heart going as normal. I'd like to try win a race rather than sitting and fighting for low places for pts only if I'm being honest with myself.

Think the next race or two I'll hold after using early attacks to get the heart going as normal. I'd like to try win a race rather than sitting and fighting for low places for pts only if I'm being honest with myself.

From reading between the lines of previous posts of yours, I get the impression you have the kick to win a sprint so that makes some sense for A3 racing.

I've seen guys in our club leagues race that way on club league nights and A4 races. When they first get to A3 they often get dropped quite easily on the harder races. Most eventually get used to the pace and cope well in the end but there is a transition period.

I can only imagine that if a rider goes from A4 to A2 through only sit and sprint racing, it would be quite some shock.

Advertisement