Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 days in new york

Options
  • 04-06-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Planning on spending 2 days in new York late July. Dates are flexible. Two teenage kids and my wife and myself. Trying to figure out what's the best way to structure the days without killing ourselves. A walk around Central Park and either the Rockefeller center or empire State and wander around times square have been recommended. What's the best way to see the statue of liberty? Is there a boat tour that would bring you close enough or is it worth going into the statue?
    Might also do a Broadway show
    Suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Hi folks,
    Planning on spending 2 days in new York late July. Dates are flexible. Two teenage kids and my wife and myself. Trying to figure out what's the best way to structure the days without killing ourselves. A walk around Central Park and either the Rockefeller center or empire State and wander around times square have been recommended. What's the best way to see the statue of liberty? Is there a boat tour that would bring you close enough or is it worth going into the statue?
    Might also do a Broadway show
    Suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    I've spent a lot of time in NYC and I have never gone to the statue but the Staten Island ferry is free and it goes fairly close.

I've been up the Rock, Empire and WTC.. the Rock is easily my favourite both night and day. The advantage is that you sit out in open air plus you can see the Empire from it.

If you like walking then I'd suggest both the High Line and Brooklyn Bridge. If you're going shopping avoid 5th Ave and go down to Broadway in East Village and Soho, same shops much more relaxed environment. There's other things like Intrepid and the Natural History Museum that are good, if you're going to Times Square you'll massively overpay for food

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hannibal wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of time in NYC and I have never gone to the statue but the Staten Island ferry is free and it goes fairly close.

I've been up the Rock, Empire and WTC.. the Rock is easily my favourite both night and day. The advantage is that you sit out in open air plus you can see the Empire from it.

If you like walking then I'd suggest both the High Line and Brooklyn Bridge. If you're going shopping avoid 5th Ave and go down to Broadway in East Village and Soho, same shops much more relaxed environment. There's other things like Intrepid and the Natural History Museum that are good, if you're going to Times Square you'll massively overpay for food

Thanks - im going to try and avoid the shopping. We are in the US for 6 weeks. So shopping can be done elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Thanks - im going to try and avoid the shopping. We are in the US for 6 weeks. So shopping can be done elsewhere...
    good shout, where else are you heading over there?

Hannibal wrote: »
    good shout, where else are you heading over there?

Based around Boston area. Spending some time with family there. Trip to disney in Florida for a week, weekend in cape cod, trip to mount Washington and few small bits in between

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The new World Trade Building is worth a visit. I'd second taking the Staten Island Ferry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty was the best thing I did in NYC. The museum on Ellis Island in particular was very powerful and moving. There's only one authorised company for transport to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty

https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

You won't be able to climb to the top of the statue, they only sell limited tickets for that and are already sold out until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty was the best thing I did in NYC. The museum on Ellis Island in particular was very powerful and moving. There's only one authorised company for transport to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty

https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

You won't be able to climb to the top of the statue, they only sell limited tickets for that and are already sold out until September.

Liberty & particularly Ellis Island are indeed very good and worthwhile, but with only 2 days I'm not so sure I'd spend the time personally.
    Get an open top bus tour, it will give you a good idea of the layout of the city. Staten Island ferry is brilliant, great views of lower manhattan and in particular lady Liberty. Times Square... yes, it's mental around there, but worth seeing. Some lovely hidden gems too... Bryant Park, behind the New York Public library is beautiful, and has different attractions at times. Recommend Top of the Rock too.... and indeed just ar5ing around. There are many things to see, and just walking around and finding little hidden corners is great if you have the time..... buy a Hot Dog on the street and take it in. Where are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I just got one of the hop on hop off tourist busses. It brings you past all the major tourist spots. Nice way to spend the day

Liberty & particularly Ellis Island are indeed very good and worthwhile, but with only 2 days I'm not so sure I'd spend the time personally.
    Get an open top bus tour, it will give you a good idea of the layout of the city. Staten Island ferry is brilliant, great views of lower manhattan and in particular lady Liberty. Times Square... yes, it's mental around there, but worth seeing. Some lovely hidden gems too... Bryant Park, behind the New York Public library is beautiful, and has different attractions at times. Recommend Top of the Rock too.... and indeed just ar5ing around. There are many things to see, and just walking around and finding little hidden corners is great if you have the time..... buy a Hot Dog on the street and take it in. Where are you staying?

Pennsylvania hotel....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was over the last month. If I had to recommend two things you HAD to do in such limited time, it would be Top of the Rock and Ellis Island. The ferry past the Statue of Liberty and the views of the skyline is worth it alone.

Times Square at night time is awesome as well. Going to a show is highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

There’s an open top bus company called Top Line. Get their 2 day pass. It’s great. And it’ll do as transport for getting A to B. The ticket also includes a guided ferry past the statue and the guide on ours was fantastic. He was full of fantastic info and It was the highlight of the trip.

Was over the last month. If I had to recommend two things you HAD to do in such limited time, it would be Top of the Rock and Ellis Island. The ferry past the Statue of Liberty and the views of the skyline is worth it alone.

Times Square at night time is awesome as well. Going to a show is highly recommended.

Thanks - did you do the staten island ferry by statue of liberty or actually go onto ellis island?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thanks - did you do the staten island ferry by statue of liberty or actually go onto ellis island?

We actually went to Ellis Island. The ferry also stops at Liberty Island and you have the option to get off if you want. Queues were long so its advisable to go early.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We actually went to Ellis Island. The ferry also stops at Liberty Island and you have the option to get off if you want. Queues were long so its advisable to go early.

The question was specifically about the Staten Island Ferry which AFAIK does not stop at Liberty Island or Ellis Island. While it's a great way to see the harbour if you avoid peak commuting times, it is not a service aimed at tourists. In hard economic terms, it's purpose is to transport cheap labour to Manhattan. Staten Island is the poorest of the five boroughs and the only one to vote for Trump in 2016.

As it states here....

The Staten Island Ferry is run by the City of New York for one pragmatic reason: To transport Staten Islanders to and from Manhattan

https://www.siferry.com/ferry-about.html

Advertisement