Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All Mankind (SciFi Apple TV+)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Could the lack of space be a drop in budget? I know when Apple first launched they spent huge on the tv shows, probably not sustainable

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Possibly.

But it's just a generic drama now where the characters coincidentally work for NASA. It's all a bit... bland so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm hoping it's all building up for the second half of the season with the guns in space, trip to Mars, collaboration with the soviets etc. and that this is all just build up to that, but it has just been a typical drama so far. The problem is that Gordo is the only really compelling character, maybe Ellen at a push, so it's not working that well for me.

Agree that Gordo is the best character. I struggle with Baldwin but I'm not a big fan of Joel Kinnaman, find it him a bit wooden. Couldn't care less about Poole, not an interesting character for me. Horton, well she's had like 1? scene since episode 1 so meh.

Margo was interesting but she's also been relegated to a lesser role it seems.

Speaking of Gordo, he's also the lead in a show called Patriot which ran for two seasons on Prime and is fantastic, if anyone wants to see more of him. Great in that too and a very different character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I do remember reading a review from a critic that I read all the time (Sepinwall) and he said that patience is required because the last few episodes are worth the haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Discovered this show on Friday and already up to date. Great series.

I don't mind the somewhat slower pace so far. As others have said I am presuming they're saving the budget for the second half of the season and that's fine by me. These are interesting characters and that's the main draw for me as well as the underlying alternate history setting (loved The Man in the High Castle for the same reason).

Soundtrack is great too (but I love the 80s anyway). The one question I find myself asking is is what actual NASA personnel and astronauts from that era make of it? It's an interesting insight into what might have been and the advances we might have seen (eg: the White House guy's early 80s electric car in the first/second episode this season) had the Race and investment continued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the first episode of the second season. Glad this show is back, though found the time jump a bit jarring. Always enjoyed the little variances in the timeline, beyond the major items
    John Lennon lives!

Even if the military is beginning to take an interest in the control of space, this show kinda depresses me in some ways. The Cold War appears no hotter than reality, yet this world's cosmic horizons are so much broader, more fulfilled than ours. Moon bases and a fully supported, funded NASA/ ESA. We haven't given over space to corporations, while space in this series is now properly international - Irish in space! My god that woman would be canonised in 1980s Ireland. What's an especially odd parallel is how in 2020 there have been no women on the moon, except on this show where there has been a number lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

den87 wrote: »
    I do remember reading a review from a critic that I read all the time (Sepinwall) and he said that patience is required because the last few episodes are worth the haul.
    I'm not all that convinced you should have to wait for any show and it's almost an apology for them stretching it out. That said I was fully onboard with Season 1. I'm less convinced about Season 2 really, even if I'm still watching. Apart from all the boxes TV shows have to tick these days the 80s are really not a terribly interesting time, politically with the whole Reagan Cold War throwback to the 50s and the reality that the sheen had worn off space programmes. There's also a sense they are hanging onto characters for no good reasons at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so most of that ep was in space....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I expected Discovery to explode on launch, or something. S1 had a lot more disaster and excitement about it. This one so far is a bit blaaaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

so most of that ep was in space....
    They needed to show why they brought Sarah Jones back! Not sold on her character this season at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.5: Hrmmm.. this underlying track of
    the marines.. it does kinda look like they might be going to go somewhere with it. Still think it would need something on Earth to kick up a notch first. Liking the Tracy adapting to moonbase story and Gordo working on himself. Mollys sliding downhill ain't lookin good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I enjoyed that one, it nearly brought it back on track. Just get rid of the endlessly whining wife and the boring lesbians now and we are go for launch :D

EDIT: Yeas agree Tracy on the Moon is great, the scrambled egg/drudgery montage was great and shes a likeable character, nice to see a female character having actual interesting issues compared to the usual cliches. When the CO2 alarm went off I was full sure it was going to be fag butts in the air filters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

You are all missing the big question though

Why is wrath of Khan out a year later in this timeline ? :p

2.6: Alright, so they're gonna show some of the Soviet side.. about time really. I assume they'll be doing some looking at resource allocation in military vs economic terms.

Tech wise, I'm really wanting to see what force centripetal or otherwise they've got going on the moon base to emulate gravity like that. Also now.. what problem solving is going on for the guns.

Slydice wrote: »
    2.6: Alright, so they're gonna show some of the Soviet side.. about time really. I assume they'll be doing some looking at resource allocation in military vs economic terms.

Tech wise, I'm really wanting to see what force centripetal or otherwise they've got going on the moon base to emulate gravity like that. Also now.. what problem solving is going on for the guns.

There isn't one. Exterior shots show the base definitely does not spin.

It's just a plot hole.

I thought this week's episode was a bit better, though they play very heavily on the soviets = bad trope. It's always amusing to see how Russians are portrayed in these american shows.

awec wrote: »
    I thought this week's episode was a bit better, though they play very heavily on the soviets = bad trope. It's always amusing to see how Russians are portrayed in these american shows.
    Hmm I'm not sure I got that impression. The cosmonauts and the head guy Margo was working with came across as pretty good people once they were left unshackled. The USSR was an incredibly restrictive regime so I don't think it's overly inaccurate.

Although yeah I suppose the whole "oh look how great America is I can drink jack daniels here!" angle was a bit over done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Cina wrote: »
    Speaking of Gordo, he's also the lead in a show called Patriot which ran for two seasons on Prime and is fantastic, if anyone wants to see more of him. Great in that too and a very different character.

Thanks for the recommendation. Never heard of it before. Smashed through both seasons in about a week. Very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Watched the first episode of this yesterday, really sucked me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Read earlier that the actor playing Gordo had to eat 10,000 calories a day in the six weeks leading up to shooting to gain the weight. :eek:

Reminds me of Jared Leto playing Mark Chapman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    Read earlier that the actor playing Gordo had to eat 10,000 calories a day in the six weeks leading up to shooting to gain the weight. :eek:

Reminds me of Jared Leto playing Mark Chapman.

Oh wow, I had wondered if the actor was wearing really good make-up and tummy prosthetics, or had genuinely put on the weight. That's quite an astonishing commitment 'cos he never looked healthy, just the way he walked looked heavier.

Homelander wrote: »
    Read earlier that the actor playing Gordo had to eat 10,000 calories a day in the six weeks leading up to shooting to gain the weight. :eek:.

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I fought the law and the law...

Now hopefully some action at last next week.

2.7: Alright so
    that's the action diffused I guess. Guessing they are gonna push a bit deeper into colder war stuff now but also with the peace making efforts of the scientists. Mars looks to be the next big target. I'm also suspecting some spy craft with the Baldwins.. just not sure how.

I looked up
    that 007 flight...
    didn't know it actually happened.. (wiki link). A bit annoying they left out
    the warning shots.. that would've looked a bit cooler than just a missile outta nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ya think they'd learn the language?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Loved the whole montage with Gordo arriving back on the moon. Kick ass tune too! :D

Loved the ending but my god there's so much pointless plot. Did we really need a 68 minute long episode filled with silly stuff like Karen and Gordo's kid and the new girl and Bill?

Gordo is such a great character.

• Advertisement

2.8: Still thinking this is leading to
    a block off from any big war. This misunderstanding, the planned handshake in space.. it's all looking like they are leading it to some kind of peace.

Advertisement