Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster problem

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I am aware of a case where someone bought tickets which were reported missing in the post. New tix were sent out. The original tickets were refused at the door as cancelled. This is not a cut and dried situation.

These tickets weren't cancelled & new ones issued. These would have new barcodes. Op was told that their tickets had been used earlier in the day. Op had genuine tickets. The venue let in someone with counterfeit tickets. How is op at fault? Venue doesn't know if op bought the tickets themselves or if they were a present. The venue is at fault for accepting counterfeit tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Del2005 wrote:
    The person who bought the tickets off the promoter is entitled to the refund. The OP bought 2nd hand tickets with the laws that apply to buying anything from a private person which is basically none, even the few laws that do exist are worthless as there is no way to get money off people.

I get that. Op didn't break any law. Op bought genuine tickets. The tickets could have been a gift. The original buyer might still get a refund. Someone should get a refund here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    These tickets weren't cancelled & new ones issued. These would have new barcodes. Op was told that their tickets had been used earlier in the day. Op had genuine tickets. The venue let in someone with counterfeit tickets. How is op at fault? Venue doesn't know if op bought the tickets themselves or if they were a present. The venue is at fault for accepting counterfeit tickets

The venue cannot be held responsible for accepting counterfeit tickets. The ticket copied was genuine. They could introduce ID checks to match the name on the ticket but how do you do that with 30, 40, 50 thousand people. I know Iron Maiden tried that but it was done using a credit card swipe using the source card. You dont have the capacity manually to cross check ownership of tickets. The computer says yes or no, thats it.

In this case computer said yes, but when ticket 2 came along, it said no. As it should. We will never get to the bottom of this using the current system.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I get that. Op didn't break any law. Op bought genuine tickets. The tickets could have been a gift. The original buyer might still get a refund. Someone should get a refund here

Agreed, but records show the ticket was used at 3.30. Go into ticketmaster tomorrow with a nile rodgers ticket from last week, which is in somebody elses name, and claim it wasnt used, while computer says it was. You wont get far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The entire point went over your head at great height.
    You’re taking a risk buying tickets off adverts even as the OP said, the poster has good feedback and tried to engage with him after. Something happened there, probably someone using a pic of the tickets to get a print off of repro from TM outlet.

You won’t see pics of tickets on toutless so that can’t happen and nobody there is going to shaft you.

To add, adverts changed their policy to match Toutless only recently funny enough.

You’re welcome.

Your trashing of third party sites and promotion of Toutless is completely misguided and borderline nonsense.

I've sold loads of tickets on both Adverts and Toutless at face value and always give my business card with tickets so people can find me. I recently bought tickets off someone on adverts, got their business card and did a phone search online to verify the person.

It's very easy to buy tickets off third party sites if you're a smart buyer. Sometimes that comes with buying burnt but it's very safe to buy tickets if you pile up guarantees.

If you buy tickets off any site, Toutless, EBay, Adverts, Gumtree, the streets wherever; you can easily get stung if you don't know how to ensure the validity of tickets.

Toutless is no more safer than the next site.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Your trashing of third party sites and promotion of Toutless is completely misguided and borderline nonsense.

I've sold loads of tickets on both Adverts and Toutless at face value and always give my business card with tickets so people can find me. I recently bought tickets off someone on adverts, got their business card and did a phone search online to verify the person.

It's very easy to buy tickets off third party sites if you're a smart buyer. Sometimes that comes with buying burnt but it's very safe to buy tickets if you pile up guarantees.

If you buy tickets off any site, Toutless, EBay, Adverts, Gumtree, the streets wherever; you can easily get stung if you don't know how to ensure the validity of tickets.

Toutless is no more safer than the next site.

Were saying the same thing. I can only go off my own experience. Been burned on adverts. Had nothing but good interactions with toutless. Anecdotal maybe but borne out throughout all my friends and socially circles. It’s s different dynamic with next to no scammers when compared to the numbers of people’s experiences on adverts. Just cos you’re conscientious doesn’t mean all on there are. Fair play to you by the way.

Totally agree buying secondary anywhere is risky. Nothing is perfect. But it’s not TMs fault or responsibility to address the OPs loss. He didn’t buy from them.

lolo62 wrote: »
    Two guys at the Ticketmaster desk were laughing at me saying I had scanned the ticket in at 3.30 that day. I kept telling them I had been at home until 6.30 and only separated the tickets walking towards the scanners so we could hand in separately 10 minutes previously. One kept shouting me down "THAT TICKET WAS SCANNED IN TODAY AT 3.30"
    I kept asking them what else could have happened because it couldn't have been and they continued to laugh and shout me down.
    There was no trying to look at the details of how I had the tickets and what could have happened. I had to get that info from security who were very nice.
    When I called Ticketmaster the next day I didn't even get a chance to finish my sentence, shouted down, talked over and dismissed because my name wasn't on the credit card.
    It would only take 2 minutes of their time to listen to your situation and patiently/calmly explain what they think could have happened.

I don't go to concerts often and had no idea how hard copy tickets could have been used when I had them in my possession. The atmosphere was that I was an idiot, and/or lying. This is an unacceptable way to deal with people in any professional role.

In relation to how they allow this to happen, I think I posted a page or so back, embed hard copy barcodes with some kind of signature so that if an eticket is scanned and it comes up as a hard copy barcode, stop them and refuse entry. Seems like a simple concept no?

Unfortunately I don't think you have any recourse here. If you were to make a complaint to the Gardai, you'd need to prove or have evidence that the seller committed some wrongdoing.

If it was the case that the barcodes were pinched off the picture, the liability for that can't be placed on the buyer. You paid for the ticket, he provided it and that's the end of the contract. If there's fraud involved such as him attending with that ticket or selling elsewhere, you'll likely have some claim. It's an unfortunate lesson in buying tickets.

I agree that the staff seemed fairly useless. From their perspective, they should have politely asked you to contact head office as there's nothing they can do there and then. In the concert staff members eyes, you could have picked up a used ticket and walked up demanding entrance. That said, their crappy demeanour doesn't help.

Sorry op :(

Totally agree buying secondary anywhere is risky. Nothing is perfect. But it’s not TMs fault or responsibility to address the OPs loss. He didn’t buy from them.

Absolutely. And unfortunately that's where Viagogo prosper because whatever about their huge fees, you have ticket guarantees. Even ticketmaster resale tickets at least have that guarantee.

Agreed on the second point. They sold a ticket and their duty has been met. It's a matter for the buyer and the seller and without anything evidential of fraud, its a fruitless road to pursue anything further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Let’s deal with Tm scalping their own tickets through their subsidiaries like seatwave first. That’s where the real theft and fraud is. Tickets on Tm sold out seconds after sale and thousands available on seatwave immediately. At extortionate prices.

Did anything ever come of that legislation banning ticket sales above face value from Noel rock?

*sorry for the tangent OP but it’s relevant to your case in a very minor way

Let’s deal with Tm scalping their own tickets through their subsidiaries like seatwave first. That’s where the real theft and fraud is. Tickets on Tm sold out seconds after sale and thousands available on seatwave immediately. At extortionate prices.

Did anything ever come of that legislation banning ticket sales above face value from Noel rock?

DONT you start me off about their scalping. I said above I disliked TM. The legislation is tied up as usual. If they wanted to push it, they could, but they dont.

I am a regular and when I see them selling block H row 49 as PREMIUM, I hit the roof. The fecking tickets should come with complimentary binoculars. Or maybe its the promoter. Anyway, this is going waaaay off topic.

• Advertisement

DONT you start me off about their scalping. I said above I disliked TM.

I am a regular at the 3 arena and when I see them selling block H row 48 as PREMIUM, I hit the roof. The fecking tickets should come with complimentary binoculars. Or maybe its the promoter. Anyway, this is going waaaay off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

After T/M, I would say Adverts is the safest closely followed by Toutless.
    Adverts has feedback, Toutless has "length on site" so at least you should have some idea.
    Thankfully I've never been scammed on either site.

I would never ever buy off Gumtree or Donedeal as there is no feedback and the number of people who have been sold duds or fakes from these sites over the years is massive.

Never used twickets or any of the new ones so can't comment.

End of the day, it goes back to "only buy from a trusted source".

Ticketmaster have been caught permitting and encouraging touting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-HCqL38WdY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

One lesson I did learn here in relation to adverts, is to look into the specifics of feedback before assuming lots of positives is enough to go by.
    When I revisited the ad to see if there was a pic of tickets, I went through the individual feedbacks and they were mostly, if not all, for him as a buyer. People getting good feedback for being bargain-hunters aren't necessarily going to be reliable/trustworthy sellers.
    This is something I had never considered before and I'm using adverts years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

lolo62 wrote: »
    What's your problem? Don't read the thread if it gets your back up. You might be happy to pay €70 for someone else's neligence but I amn't. Holding someone responsible for f*****g up isn't poaching. You're the moan.

I’ve no idea what you want from this thread?? Do you want everyone to agree with you that Ticketmaster are bold? Bold Ticketmaster. You screwed up. The person you bought the ticket off owes you nothing. You have zero comeback. ****ty situation to be in, but that’s the facts when you buy from a third party. Write it off and learn from the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seat wave ceased to exist months ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This thread is done and going off topic.

Keep your complaint going with TM if you want but ultimately you bought tickets off some random guy on the internet and got burned. Not the first nor the last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement