Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers prescription sunglasses - any experience for cycling?

Options
  • 04-06-2019 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I need glasses for both distance and reading and normally use vari-focals. I have tried varioius options for cycling, including contact lenses and regular cycling sunglasses, but I think I have to bite the bullet and get decent tinted lenses with some wrap-round protection as the wind is also effecting my eyes.
    I normally go to specsavers and find them good. Has anyone used their prescription sportsglasses for cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Hi

I did get a pair of sunglasses from Specsavers with transitions lenses but found they did not give enough protection when cycling from wind or rain due to their normal shape. I ended up buying a pair of these https://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/en/cycling-sunglasses/247-prescription-cycling-sunglasses-uk.html. Reasonably cheap and my local option fitted my varifocal prescription to the lens insert. Find them a much better job than the specsavers glasses as you can change the tinted lens to suit the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I got a free pair of corrected shades when buing my normal ones in Specs.

1. Make sure you like the tint. I didn't check before the purchase and ended up with a horrible bluish one that have the power to turn your sunniest summer day in a miserable overcast Monday in November.

2. For some reason, when I wear them, my brain is tricked that I'm closer to the ground that I actually am - I lift my legs higher when climbing stairs. On the bike it gives me a false sense of stability, which is actually amazing, but kind of dangerous - I almost overshoot a corner or two due to that. This wears off with time though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I also got a reduced price pair as my second set last time I got new specs and find them great. Very good at keeping the wind out of your eyes and cutting out some side light which has a downside of slightly reduced peripheral vision. As Alek said, check the tint. I'm tempted to get a second pair with minimal tint for darker days and ideally wider field of vision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

sprite0 wrote: »
    Hi

I did get a pair of sunglasses from Specsavers with transitions lenses but found they did not give enough protection when cycling from wind or rain due to their normal shape. I ended up buying a pair of these https://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/en/cycling-sunglasses/247-prescription-cycling-sunglasses-uk.html. Reasonably cheap and my local option fitted my varifocal prescription to the lens insert. Find them a much better job than the specsavers glasses as you can change the tinted lens to suit the conditions

I did this too. Rockbros do cheaper ones. Suit me fine. Specsavers refused to do lenses for the insert last time though, so I went to a slightly more expsenive independent one and now use them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I got a pair of these from specsavers a few years ago as a result of this thread. They are still going strong. I had to ask for them as they were not on display.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057462514

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I went into specsavers today and came out more confused than before I went in. They had none in stock and were suggesting a large pair of regular glasses - no wrap around.
    Maybe it was the particurlar shop.
    I understand the wrap around is more trickey with varifocals. I'm tempted by Bolle Shifter, if I can get a decent price somewhere and the prescription option.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

TGD wrote: »
    I went into specsavers today and came out more confused than before I went in. They had none in stock and were suggesting a large pair of regular glasses - no wrap around.
    Maybe it was the particurlar shop.
    I understand the wrap around is more trickey with varifocals. I'm tempted by Bolle Shifter, if I can get a decent price somewhere and the prescription option.

Yes. Getting a prescription wraparound lens is the problem. A mate got a pair and says they distort badly and are expensive. A regular non varifocal prescription lens is easier and cheaper. That's why I went for inserts. No problems with distortion and most independent opticians will fit them. Some suppliers will fit them if you send your prescription.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you can get to cork, I night be able to recommend somewhere for you. But you can contact them first to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Can recommend these folks:

https://www.optilabs.com

Not cheap, but great quality. You can get wrap around lenses in your prescription, including varifocals, that don’t involve a secondary insert behind the tinted lens. Have two pairs of sunglasses from them, one regular and one photochromic, and find them great on the bike

Zen0 wrote: »
    Can recommend these folks:

https://www.optilabs.com

Not cheap, but great quality. You can get wrap around lenses in your prescription, including varifocals, that don’t involve a secondary insert behind the tinted lens. Have two pairs of sunglasses from them, one regular and one photochromic, and find them great on the bike
    Are they verification? Much distortion at the edges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Another vote for Optilabs here. Here in Australia the Specsavers range have literally nothing except a pair that looks vaguely like the goggles Riddick wore in Pitch Black. It's strange how they seem willing to skip what must be a lucrative slice of the sunglasses market.

I've used Optilabs some 3 times and can't say I've had a problem. It appears to be an option on the website but I don't use varifocal myself so no idea on the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

TGD wrote: »
    Are they verification? Much distortion at the edges?

Not sure what you mean by verification. Given that they are wrap around the outer edges are almost outside my field of vision, so distortion there isn’t an issue. All I can say I have had no problem with mine (two pairs) and for me they are by far the best cycling glasses I have owned. They have a new cool red and white frame on their website which I am trying to resist.

Zen0 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by verification. Given that they are wrap around the outer edges are almost outside my field of vision, so distortion there isn’t an issue. All I can say I have had no problem with mine (two pairs) and for me they are by far the best cycling glasses I have owned. They have a new cool red and white frame on their website which I am trying to resist.
    ‘Verification’! Did I say that? I meant ‘distortion’ - the old brain is going the same way as the eyes. Thanks for clarifying that. I looked up optilab - pricey all right. I’m currently looking at Bolle as they have retailers to talk to. I visited one but not much good but spoke on the phone with another who sounded much more knowledgeable. I’m also going to try the contacts again with cheapish regular glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've had 2 pairs of sunglasses with inserts and no matter what I put on them, once the temperature drops and it starts to rain, they fog up. I switched to contacts and regular wrap around cycling sunglasses, much better option.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If you can get to cork, I night be able to recommend somewhere for you. But you can contact them first to be sure

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've a pair from Specsavers I got on the 2 for 1 frames offer ages ago. They've polarised lenses which I must say I find great for cutting out glare and while not wraparound, the legs are wide where they join to the frame so keep a fair bit of wind and light out from the side. That said, I like the look of Rapideyewear and Optilabs as linked to earlier in the thread. I'm (over)due a test at this stage, so must make a point of getting my prescription.

Advertisement