Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Recommendations

Options
  • 04-06-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've just finished up a 2 year contract with eir, who I've been with forever (since meteor first came out). I'm eligible for an upgrade on my plan. But wondering if it's worth looking at other carriers rather than just going straight down the upgrade route.

I would like to keep the bill, as pay as you go is a pain in the A.

Any thoughts? Who's good, what good deals are there? Is coverage an issue etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are you keeping the phone you have or looking for a new one?

Generally the best offers are sim only 30 day plans, with the advantage of easy to port to other offers at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Davy wrote: »
    Are you keeping the phone you have or looking for a new one?

Generally the best offers are sim only 30 day plans, with the advantage of easy to port to other offers at any time.

Have a one plus 5t which I'm happy to keep. The missus was wondering about an upgrade. But after a bit of research, the bills are extortionate so probably just go with the pre pay

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

tusk wrote: »
    Have a one plus 5t which I'm happy to keep. The missus was wondering about an upgrade. But after a bit of research, the bills are extortionate so probably just go with the pre pay

Just consider the 30 day sim only plans and not just normal Bill pay as it often as big differences.

One example:> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971994

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm looking for a new, more reliable mobile provider, with a view of using the mobile phone as a modem (not sure how good an idea that is, but...).

Has anyone ever used Virgin? Are they any good? I saw this https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/?CMP=sbr&CMP=snb&ds_rl=1241952&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKyciqrV4gIViLHtCh1FzwjPEAAYASAAEgLkhfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and I'm wondering if it's as good a deal as it sounds.

I'm currently with Vodafone, but I also have a "dormant" number with what used to be O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Virgin are based on Three. Three host nearly all of the MVNOs (PostPhone are Voda) and honestly I wouldn't go with any of them. Issues such are roaming not working and short codes (Banks, Park by text etc) not working are quite common.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Great, thanks for that, Ed E, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Any suggestions on who's actually better?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not a huge amount between the three MNOs presently. Whoever works best in the area you're most in is your winner.

Thanks ED E.

Advertisement