Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me fix this wifi problem please?

Options
  • 04-06-2019 11:44am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The wifi on my phone stops working when I go between rooms and I would appreciate some support to fix it.

Let me try to explain it fully:

In the hallway is the primary (Nokia) internet box (FYI I don't live in Ireland), the line comes via a tiny yellow cable. The Nokia box then has 4 Ethernet Ports – above that is a switch – numbered 1 to 16 or so. Each of them routes to an ethernet socket in each of the rooms. I connect an ethernet cable from the Nokia box to each of the switch ports I want a signal fed to.

The main router is in the living room – this is on port 1. But since the apartment is quite large and the walls are concrete, the signal is not strong enough to go into the bedroom at the other end. So the guy installed a second router in the bedroom. This is on channel 12. So an ethernet cable goes from the Nokia box to 12 on the switch. Etc. There are essentially two wifi networks, but they both have the same username and password.

The problem, is that when I’m connected in the living room all is fine, but if I then walk into the bedroom, I have no internet. It is connected to the bedroom wifi, with full signal – but the internet does not work. All I have to do it turn it off and on again and its fine, but it’s really annoying every time. My phone is a OnePlus 5T – my wife has a Galaxy S9 but does not seem to have this problem.

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this? I heard I can set the bedroom router up as a repeater, would this fix it and how do I do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Change the bedroom name so it isn't the same. That should be the quickest way.

E.G. Instead of being HomeWifi make it HomeWifi123 or change password (or both)

EDITED
    I got kicked out of boards, cloudflare.
    I was going to ask similar question about pics as theteal has asked. If they are separate access points with the same SSID, or on the same network one 5GHz etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sounds like the phone has issues roaming between APs (access points, what I suspect you are calling routers - or are they actually routers? can you provide pics?). Is it the same when you go back in the opposite direction?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok thanks. I' chaned the name of the network, but it doesn't seem to jump to the one with the better signal very easily. If I'm conneced to bedroom and I waslk into the living room, it stil get a weak signal, if I walk outside on to the balcony it reconected to the living room routers - when the bedrom signal is lost. If I come back into the bedroom, it still hangs on to the living room signal.
    ll change the router name and see if it works.

The living room router is a Linksys e2500. The bedroom Router is a TP Link TL-WR940N - according to the quick setup its configured as a noraml router.

My questions is if I want to set it up as an access point or range extender, how would I do this? Taking a guess, would I take a cable from the back of the router in the living room, back into the wall socked (there are 2 ethernet ports per socket - and route it back through the switch in the hallway and then into the bedroom so that the signal connects to this router?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm not sure I have got it, but if I have, then no.
    You shouldn't need to reroute back to the switch in the hallway.

Advertisement