Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Travellers

Options
  • 04-06-2019 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

So, a family of travellers moved into a private estate a few years ago, where people either own their properties or privately rent them.

It has been the most quiet lovely place to live over the years, and now.. not so much. Between the millions of cars and vans parking wherever they want, to the beeping of the car horns upon arrival or leaving - at all hours morning till night, to the fighting that spills on to the street, windows smashed in the property, and own cars at different time because of the violent husband .. Loads of the men in the family gathering in the front garden with cups of tea plotting and generally making anyone who walks by them feel uncomfortable and intimidated.. To the Gardai calling and CAB kicking the door down a few times..
    Its an absolute disgrace that they are moved into areas that they clearly cannot integrate into and make NO effort to either.
    I just want to know has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they deal with it, without being a target.
    Absolutely sick and tired of them at this stage.

Prtb are no help whatsoever, and basically want you to put yourself in the firing line in order to deal with them, which anyone with half a brain knows that it just is not realistic to do this, due to their nature and the repercussions.

Side note ** word on the INTERNET Irish news says that they were already ran out of Mayo and since been arrested and raided on many occasions due to operation THOR .. So nice of the lovely hap landlord to not bother to check their background before moving them into a private estate!
    Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Keep a log and report anti social behaviour to their landlord. Eventually you can get onto the RTB for the landlord not keeping up their responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I hate to tell you this, but there is literally nowhere for you to turn to for assistance. Official Ireland simply doesn't want to know. :mad:

Furthermore, if the HAP landlord had refused to rent the house to them, he could have been persecuted (sic) by the WRC under the equality legislation.

Welcome to Leo's all-singing, all-dancing, multi-cultural, multi-ethnical Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Astria wrote: »
    So, a family of travellers were been moved into a private estate a few years ago, where people either own their properties or privately rent them.

It has been the most quiet lovely place to live over the years, and now.. not so much. Between the millions of cars and vans parking wherever they want, to the beeping of the car horns upon arrival or leaving - at all hours morning till night, to the fighting that spills on to the street, windows smashed in the property, and own cars at different time because of the violent husband .. Loads of the men in the family gathering in the front garden with cups of tea plotting and generally making anyone who walks by them feel uncomfortable and intimidated.. To the Gardai calling and CAB kicking the door down a few times..
    Its an absolute disgrace that they are moved into areas that they clearly cannot integrate into and make NO effort to either.
    I just want to know has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they deal with it, without being a target.

Prtb are no help whatsoever, and basically want you to put yourself in the firing line in order to deal with them, which anyone with half a brain knows that it just is not realistic to do this, due to their nature and the repercussions.

Side note ** word on the INTERNET Irish news says that they were already ran out of Mayo and since been arrested and raided on many occasions due to operation THOR .. So nice of the lovely hap landlord to not bother to check their background before moving them into a private estate!
    Please help

You do know that the right on crowd will be along now shortly to tell you how racist you are?
    That there is a family with social problems living on your estate and that instead of helping them you are moaning about them because you’re a racist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Todays News: https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0604/1053288-ecri_racism_ireland/

"The 37-page report concludes that the majority of local authorities have consistently failed to provide adequate and culturally appropriate
    accommodation for Travellers."

Maybe your location is not "culturally appropriate"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know it is a scary thought but have ye tried actually talking to them, or sticking up for yerselfs in front of them.. Not condoning the behavior at all, i hate it and think tis a shame they get away with crap like this.. But tis worth a try, maybe someone call to the house and ask would it be ok to call over some evening or meet outside for a chat arrange it first and say you are bringing someone else.. Say what ye think and see does it do any good..

After that then ye are more or less on yer own, the RTB will do SWF about it, the council the same and the guards the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know it is a scary thought but have ye tried actually talking to them, or sticking up for yerselfs in front of them.. Not condoning the behavior at all, i hate it and think tis a shame they get away with crap like this.. But tis worth a try, maybe someone call to the house and ask would it be ok to call over some evening or meet outside for a chat arrange it first and say you are bringing someone else.. Say what ye think and see does it do any good..

After that then ye are more or less on yer own, the RTB will do SWF about it, the council the same and the guards the same..

Sounds scary is an understatement, the op could be a target then.
    The only thing I would do is try to sell or move if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've no solution for you. You have my sympathy and I think it's a total disgrace that people like you are abandoned to deal with this sort of anti social behaviour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Friendly warning.

Poor attempts at humour or general smart arsery are not welcome on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

So, a family of travellers were been moved into a private estate a few years ago, where people either own their properties or privately rent them.

Please help

Call the guards at every suggestion of trouble - if this family are running illegal operations from their house they wont need the hassle

Have you a management company in your estate? They can clamp cars poorly parked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭SteM

Milly33 wrote: »

Yeah, I did that once when we had a similar problem on our private estate years ago. They threatened to knife me and the wife and told me they'd burn down my house. To be fair to them they only tried to burn down my shed so that worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It seems that Travellers can do what they like in this country.
    That same scenario is replicated all across the country.

It seems that Travellers can do what they like in this country.
    That same scenario is replicated all across the country.

I suspect that's one of the main reasons why Peter Casey came so close to getting elected to the European Parliament last week.

(Am I allowed to call him "Peter Casey" or is it mandatory on Boards.ie to call him "racist Peter Casey"?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Astria

splinter65 wrote: »
    You do know that the right on crowd will be along now shortly to tell you how racist you are?
    That there is a family with social problems living on your estate and that instead of helping them you are moaning about them because you’re a racist??

Ah Stop! I know...

But still it is so frustrating.
    Landlord doesn't want to get sued even though Its just not on .... their behaviour is outrageous and if it was anyone else we would be out on our ear!!!

but the problem is they just get away with it because they scream racist everyone is scared to say boo to them.

Racism has nothing to do with it.
    If it was anyone moving in to an area and acting like that it would be met with the same reaction.

If they could just bloody control themselves that would be fine but the problem is that they can't!! Plain and simple.
    They are treating the area like a halting site.
    Pure madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

get all your neighbours together, get a security contractor, split the cost of high definition cctv cameras on all the houses and point it towards their end of the road. keep saving video and screenshots and send them to the local council and every local td, report every car reg to gardai.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Keep a log and report anti social behaviour to their landlord. Eventually you can get onto the RTB for the landlord not keeping up their responsibility.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately this has been ongoing for so long and we actually have been down that route already and continue to do so, he is well aware of everything and is basically in the same boat in that he is frightened and has to go about things in the correct manner, which is totally understandable considering how we feel ab trying to speak to them.
    Nightmare.

"The 37-page report concludes that the majority of local authorities have consistently failed to provide adequate and culturally appropriate
    accommodation for Travellers."

Maybe your location is not "culturally appropriate"?[/quote]

Agreed it definitely isn't.
    But it wouldn't be a problem for them to be living here if they could bloody control themselves
    Frustration doesn't even cover it.
    There are loads of old people living around here too.. Imagine being retired in a lovely home you live in and paid for from their hard working years and then being stuck next to these people.
    Its just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I got caught out as a landlord about 8 years back - I left my rental to an agent to look after - he managed to let it to a traveller - single mother - well single until her husband got released from prison.

They destroyed my house in the space of six months - beyond belief the damage that could be done by people who were actually living there at the same time. Rent was paid for the first two months and then nothing.

I did it all by the book in terms of issuing notice to quit - absolutely no use what so ever - the response was a demand for €10k 'relocation expenses' from the husband - this was then dropped to €5k and they would be out 'with in 24hours' ... this rolled on for a few weeks until the husband made a few dodgy career moves and needed to get away fairly quickly and the family moved with him.

So a very expensive lesson and in why not to be a landlord in ireland

JJJackal wrote: »
    Call the guards at every suggestion of trouble - if this family are running illegal operations from their house they wont need the hassle

Have you a management company in your estate? They can clamp cars poorly parked

Thanks for your reply, yes the Gardai are called at every point that it spills outside... But they seem to just laugh and walk away every time.. I know factually they are told nothing is going on when they arrive.. You know the drill they are all well versed to give once the authorities are called.

No management company unfortunately.. Just an estate.

Ah Stop! I know...

But still it is so frustrating.
    Landlord doesn't want to get sued even though Its just not on .... their behaviour is outrageous and if it was anyone else we would be out on our ear!!!

but the problem is they just get away with it because they scream racist everyone is scared to say boo to them.

Racism has nothing to do with it.
    If it was anyone moving in to an area and acting like that it would be met with the same reaction.

If they could just bloody control themselves that would be fine but the problem is that they can't!! Plain and simple.
    They are treating the area like a halting site.
    Pure madness!

You appear to be writing as one resident of the estate, is there any chance that you can get together with some of the others and set up some sort of a committee which might then be able to approach local Councillors (there's usually one or two who are sound) or even the Gardai if there are serious ongoing anti-social problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately this has been ongoing for so long and we actually have been down that route already and continue to do so, he is well aware of everything and is basically in the same boat in that he is frightened and has to go about things in the correct manner, which is totally understandable considering how we feel ab trying to speak to them.
    Nightmare.

He can issue eviction notices then for anti social behaviour. It'll be a slow process but they will be moved eventually.

Del2005 wrote: »
    He can issue eviction notices then for anti social behaviour. It'll be a slow process but they will be moved eventually.

Can you imagine the condition of the house when he gets it back having evicted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can you imagine the condition of the house when he gets it back having evicted them?

My neighbour has been fixing the damage caused by travellers for the last year. It's a costly mistake but he was never around to check up on them. He's learned a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

27 posts and no sign of the virtue signallers yet!

Presumably they're all on their way down to Clare to get front row seats for the anti-Trump protests tomorrow. Have fun, lads and lassies!

Useful posts only, thanks

They are untouchable, there's nothing you can do to change their culture.

The only thing you can do is move.

cisk wrote: »
    They are untouchable

When Travellers were recognised as an ethnic minority in 2017, this was reinforced. With added protections, they have carte blanche to do as they please without any fear of consequence. Inevitably, this pertains to anti-social behaviour and criminality. Any criticism directed their way is quickly met with a cry of victimhood/persecution. A depressing state of affairs, and it's not going to improve unless the 'softly-softly' government amend their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Unfortunately, there's very little you can do until they up and leave themselves. Having had them squat next door to me and make our quiet road a living nightmare, I feel your pain.

We have a guard living on our road and constantly onto the PRTB and the guards and nothing could be done until they left leaving nothing but the carcass of a house- banisters, fireplace everything ripped out.

red petal wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there's very little you can do until they up and leave themselves. Having had them squat next door to me and make our quiet road a living nightmare, I feel your pain.

We have a guard living on our road and constantly onto the PRTB and the guards and nothing could be done until they left leaving nothing but the carcass of a house- banisters, fireplace everything ripped out.

A fleet of caravans appeared at a construction site two summers ago, a half-mile from my property. They barricaded themselves in, and repeated calls to the council fell on deaf ears. Rubbish began to pile up, which lead to a rat infestation. The Travellers contacted the local newspaper, which then proceeded to print a front page sob story. No rational person bought it, and animosity grew against the illegal occupation.

Eventually (after six months) they disappeared in the dead of night, and left behind a large mound of refuse. The clean-up set back the council five figures, an appalling waste of resources. Not an ounce of self-respect from the Travellers, and yet they demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The council moved a family of them into a brand new house in an extension to our estate around 9 months ago. You can no longer let the kids out in the estate, it’s like a ghost town. No one dares risk it. Their kids running rampage, lighting fires in the grass area. Fireworks. Gangs of men sitting around watching everything going on. Music blaring. Cars and vans lashing around. The new thing is a massive bouncy castle out their back garden. Fun fair sized. Takes up the whole back garden. Motor running everyday since the weather got decent. One family already had to move out because a father went over to the house to have words over his daughter getting hit and the traveler father walking into this mans house when he got back and started attacking him in the kitchen. He ended up stabbing the traveler in the shoulder. Packed all their stuff and fled a few nights after it because of the intimidation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Fawawayhome / Jupiter Mulligan do not post in this thread again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement