Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Travellers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

These are tough situations to be in that affect ordinary decent people trying to make and pay their way in life. Not much fear that the issue will arise in Dundrum or Malahide, Donnybrook or Dalkey etc., with the result that those higher up the political and legal food chains don't care so much, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

This has happened a good few times before in Galway near where I live. Police are scared because they could target their families. Ireland is a small country and they know a good proportion of the community don't give a hoot about the law.
    I wish I could stick up for the very few good travellers I have met but I have had more bad experiences than good ones unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- all you can do is make repeated complaints to the landlord- alongside third party complaints to the RTB.
    I would emphasise in the third party complaints to the RTB- that your personal details are not to be released under any circumstance as you fear physical abuse if they do so. I would also continually make complaints, when you have valid reason to do so- to An Garda Síochána. If nothing else- its on the record.

Unfortunately- it really is the case that as many residents as possible are going to have to continually lodge complaints- for as long as it takes- in any many different venues as possible (RTB, the Landlord, An Garda Síochána, The local authority etc etc)- until such time as the weight of the complaints is sufficient for the worse of the individuals to move on- or the RTB or others- go legal to get a resolution for the issues (even if their resolution is simply to get the complainants to shut up- if it means the individuals causing trouble have to move on- then you have a result).

Having lived next door to people like this in Lucan- and our estate had to be evacuated when they tapped the gas supply leading to a gas leak- and no heat for anyone for weeks in the middle of winter (the ESB didn't seem to care when they bypassed the electricity)- I know the disruption and devastation problem people can cause.

It is a bit of a you're damned no matter what you do case. Either you complain and continue to do so continually- or you accept that its a battle you're not even going to fight- and move out yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As I genuinely do not believe the OP is going to get advice from anyone which both falls within the remit of the forum- and is not in breach of any rules- thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement