Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep or Klopp?

124»

Comments

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Most people here aren't that young, many in their 40's-50's actually.

I have seen the 'Liverpool bottled it' tweets all over twitter last 3 months. You yourself compared Leeds who lost 10 Championship games (not counting playoffs) since start of 2019 to a team who lost one all season and dropped just 13 points total from early October until end of season.

Liverpool accumulated third highest points total in Premier league history..more than undefeated Arsenal side, more than Man Utd of 99 or 2009 (more than any Alex Ferguson title winning side actually), more than any of the Mourinho Chelsea winning sides. They did all that while also knocking out Bayern and Barcelona and eventually winning highest profile club tournament in football.

Can we agree they bottled results around February anyway, a month when a side that would sweep Barcelona aside could not beat Everton, Leicester, ManU and West Ham, and won 2 out of 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Can we agree they bottled results around February anyway, a month when a side that would sweep Barcelona aside could not beat Everton, Leicester, ManU and West Ham, and won 2 out of 6?

Do you know what 'bottling it' means?

Pathetic response, I’m 41, and well used to the likes of you.
    If it’s to fail, then all PL teams bottled it, cause they failed to win the league. And all previous teams who failed to win, they bottled it.
    You can use any word you wish; we’ll just laugh at the childish logic to justify the envy :)

I'm 44, and not in the least bit envious. It's only football, after all!

I'm amused at the irritation that standard use of the English language provokes.

As I said in the last post, can we agree that 2 wins in 6 is "bottling it", even if you object to that phrase being applied to the entire season?

I'm 44, and not in the least bit envious. It's only football, after all!

I'm amused at the irritation that standard use of the English language provokes.

As I said in the last post, can we agree that 2 wins in 6 is "bottling it", even if you object to that phrase being applied to the entire season?

thats...not...what...bottling it...means.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Do you know what 'bottling it' means?

As I said above, it's a synonym for to fail. Check it out. There is no rule about when it can and can't be used. Common sense would say that Bournemouth didn't bottle it, because they were never in a position to win. But I heard even Liverpool fans use it in February to describe what was happening at that time as they saw a 7 point lead over the eventual winners fade away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No. you still don't get what bottling it means do you.

I was at the Everton match. I watched all the others. Liverpool did not roll over and die in these games. They played football, fought hard for goals that they could just not convert. It happens. In particular the Everton and United games, they came up against teams who just upped their anti on the day and did all they could to prevent Liverpool from scoring at all costs, including parking a bus.

To bottle something in this context means to give up and choke, to fail to convert when you have one foot over the line. Yes Liverpool may have had one foot over the line when they were a few points in the clear, but they never ever gave up, they fought hard right to the end to get over the line.

Anyone who thinks they bottled anything is delusional.

As I said above, it's a synonym for to fail.

No its not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And I also just realised that this thread has gone way off topic now and is not longer about choosing Pep or Klopp.

Maybe w should bottle it up now and get back on track ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

not in the least bit envious.
    Yes you are. Liverpool win the CL, lose 1 game and get 97pts in a league where a country own a club and funds them with near unlimited resources. Yet you are trying to label Liverpool as bottling it, due to some petty envy.

If City had won 13 in a row, rather than 14, it still wouldn’t qualify as bottling it by getting 96pts. It’s a ridiculous argument to make.
    If bottling is equal to failing for you, then you are nowhere near standard use of English. Not a single journalist or reporter I’ve read has said Liverpool bottled it. Just bitter jealous people.

Yes you are....
    If bottling is equal to failing for you, then you are nowhere near standard use of English. Not a single journalist or reporter I’ve read has said Liverpool bottled it. Just bitter jealous people.

Nope, again I'm not. Ultimately this involves English football clubs, not worth getting that envious about, it's not like it affects me life that much tbh. I did find the shrill protests by some Liverpool fans a little amusing. But clearly you are getting upset and throwing in personal digs, so we'll just agree to disagree. As a poster above said, it's not central to the topic anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

A few lads need to go and have a good cry for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nope, again I'm not. Ultimately this involves English football clubs, not worth getting that envious about, it's not like it affects me life that much tbh. I did find the shrill protests by some Liverpool fans a little amusing. But clearly you are getting upset and throwing in personal digs, so we'll just agree to disagree. As a poster above said, it's not central to the topic anyway.

It must be affecting it somewhat seen as you've spent a few hours trying to argue your stupid point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And on Pep I don't think his time at Bayern wasn't anything out of the ordinary they were doing. In fact didn't they win the treble the season before under Heynckes. All he managed to get to was the semi in the CL any season - thumped by Real, beaten by Barca and unexpectedly by Atletico.

And lets not forget they got hammered by Liverpool over 2 legs last season.

For such a high level manager his european record since Barca is unconvincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seve OB wrote: »
    And I also just realised that this thread has gone way off topic now and is not longer about choosing Pep or Klopp.

Maybe w should bottle it up now and get back on track ;)

Given that his original post was about an unrelated manager nobody gives a f*ck about you’d assume that was the intention from the start.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It must be affecting it somewhat seen as you've spent a few hours trying to argue your stupid point.

Hours? Seriously?

It takes me about a minute, even less, to rattle off a post. I guess it's my proficiency in language! :)

magma69 wrote: »
    A few lads need to go and have a good cry for themselves.

The need a Klopp hug.

Maybe even six of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What could've been a very interesting thread has turned into one of the worst I can remember recently. Really sums up the one glaring issue with the forum these days.

On topic they're two great managers, tough to choose between them, both seem like decent people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NDWC wrote: »
    What could've been a very interesting thread has turned into one of the worst I can remember recently. Really sums up the one glaring issue with the forum these days.

On topic they're two great managers, tough to choose between them, both seem like decent people too.

How anyone thought this would be an interesting thread is beyond me.

Advertisement