Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangor trail and camp out overnight

• 04-06-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I am going to do this in August with the wife. Ive done the letterkeen side to about 13k in but then turned around. any advice appreciated. i have a lot of hiking experience and can use a compass and map. i will be starting in letterkeen and going towards Bangor and going to start pretty early first morning and set up an early camp halfway in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Bangor Trail
    Suggest you contact Anna Connors of Mayo Co Council, Westport office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cycling is fun

I am going to do this in August with the wife. Ive done the letterkeen side to about 13k in but then turned around. any advice appreciated. i have a lot of hiking experience and can use a compass and map. i will be starting in letterkeen and going towards Bangor and going to start pretty early first morning and set up an early camp halfway in.

Best of luck hope you get the weather for it. I did it myself for the first time in 2017 hope to do it again this year, be careful about wondering away from the marked trail itself as I believe that a soldier no less had to ring the emergency services when he got lost/ disoriented its a great place to hike when the weather is good, not sure if its happening this year but ballycroy national park did a bus service for the last 2 summers and it would pick you up in bangor erris drop you near letterkeen and then you could walk back to bangor hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

From a mates personal experience, beware the midges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Best of luck hope you get the weather for it. I did it myself for the first time in 2017 hope to do it again this year, be careful about wondering away from the marked trail itself as I believe that a soldier no less had to ring the emergency services when he got lost/ disoriented its a great place to hike when the weather is good, not sure if its happening this year but ballycroy national park did a bus service for the last 2 summers and it would pick you up in bangor erris drop you near letterkeen and then you could walk back to bangor hope this helps

i was wondering about that..i dont think id call them unless i was injured,wonder why he panicked id at least wait until dawn to see if it improves. probable didny have camping equipment.

From a mates personal experience, beware the midges!

ill be dressed like an antifa social justice warrior, gonna get a face gauze too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

bus is definitely running this year, check out the ballycroy national park fb page,

there is an old bothy / shelter on the trail not long after the waterfall, if youve done 13k out from letterkeen youve probably got to it, but it would be a decent place to camp, not too many dry spots to set up a tent , up at the lakes on slieve carr would be cool but your adding a bit of climbing to it ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ill be dressed like an antifa social justice warrior, gonna get a face gauze too.

That gauze wont keep them all out tho and sprays can be usless aswell. Just hope you dont encounter them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

avon skin so soft, apparently soldiers based in scotland use it as anti midge spray, the wife has a bottle as midges seem to be drawn to her and she thinks its fairly effective, i havent been out and about much this year so havent had a chance to test it,

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

woody1 wrote: »
    avon skin so soft, apparently soldiers based in scotland use it as anti midge spray, the wife has a bottle as midges seem to be drawn to her and she thinks its fairly effective, i havent been out and about much this year so havent had a chance to test it,

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

Thanks for that idea; midges out here are ..... there are no words. shudders. west mayo offshore island.

• Advertisement

Sounds amazing; enjoy!

Advertisement