Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EC 261 Flight Compensation - Air Traffic Control Issue?

Options
  • 04-06-2019 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

I departed Ireland and missed a connecting flight out of London because Aer Lingus were >1.5 hours delayed leaving the ground in Dublin and my connecting flight in London departed 1.5 hours after landing. It was late evening so I was put on the next available flight the next morning, they put me up in a hotel etc.

I've since tried to claim for compensation as I arrived at my destination about 12 hours later than expected. They have responded saying it was a Air Traffic Controller issues at Heathrow. I found this interesting because it seems like they could use this excuse for any delay? There was no strike on that day and at Dublin airport we were moved gates 3 different times right around departure time. At the final gate we were put, there was no plane docked until a good half hour or hour after the flight was due to depart. We then sat on the runway for a half hour or so before taking off. We docked at Heathrow immediately after landing. This doesn't seem to add up because why would Heathrow ATC be at fault for such a later departure/mix-up at Dublin airport?

Anyway, has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them and whats the best port of call? What governing body should I contact because I'd imagine Aer Lingus will hold tough with their original 'Excuse'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

FatRat wrote: »
    I departed Ireland and missed a connecting flight out of London because Aer Lingus were >1.5 hours delayed leaving the ground in Dublin and my connecting flight in London departed 1.5 hours after landing. It was late evening so I was put on the next available flight the next morning, they put me up in a hotel etc.

I've since tried to claim for compensation as I arrived at my destination about 12 hours later than expected. They have responded saying it was a Air Traffic Controller issues at Heathrow. I found this interesting because it seems like they could use this excuse for any delay? There was no strike on that day and at Dublin airport we were moved gates 3 different times right around departure time. At the final gate we were put, there was no plane docked until a good half hour or hour after the flight was due to depart. We then sat on the runway for a half hour or so before taking off. We docked at Heathrow immediately after landing. This doesn't seem to add up because why would Heathrow ATC be at fault for such a later departure/mix-up at Dublin airport?

Anyway, has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them and whats the best port of call? What governing body should I contact because I'd imagine Aer Lingus will hold tough with their original 'Excuse'.

They may have missed their arrival slot at Heathrow so ended up leaving later as a result - being on stand straightaway doesn't mean there was no slot delay.

You could contact the Aviation Regulator: https://www.flightrights.ie/

Advertisement