Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is America treating the UK like a colony?

• 04-06-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Not really a politically commentary but I'm currently living in the south of England and I can't believe the way the UK is bowing down towards Trump. Granted he's the president but so far he's insulted the Mayor of London by calling him a looser, said the NHS is on the table as part of a trade deal and has got involved in the election of the prime minister. Obviously Brexit has left the UK in a much weaker state but I expected the British establishment to stand up for themselves more. I'm feeling sorry for our nearest neighbour lately, should they really put up with this?

Comments

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm feeling sorry for our nearest neighbour lately, should they really put up with this?

They should digest their just desserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The UK has long been a vessel for the USA, it's just that Trump is making it more obvious and yes Brexit means they USA can push home their advantage and dismantle the social infrastructure that still exists after the Tories Austerity Programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Their nuclear deterent ability is totally dependent on US technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The cluster**** just keeps getting worse for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It's the final humiliation for the great British empire. Kissing Trumps feet and treating him like their King as he berates and disrespects their entire country and wants to loot it economically.

I don't think they even realise how cringeworthy this whole spectacle appears and all the while try to big themselves up while they beg for crumbs from his table. What a fall from grace for a once proud nation. I would truely be embarrassed to be British today. I don't think they realise how humiliating it looks, they are so deluded from eating up the headlines from the Daily Mail, Telegraph and the Daily Express.

And it will only get worse from here. You would almost feel sorry for em. But not quite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The US treats virtually every country as a colony. How many American army bases are there around the world? How many leaders have they deposed in other countries? They've been running riot since the Monroe Doctrine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

kneemos wrote: »
    The cluster**** just keeps getting worse for them.

Is it so very wrong that i am just a little bit pleased?

It is isn't it?

They will REALLY regret it if they don't stand up now and let them get their feet under.

All that talk of a special relationship and how popular the UK is etc in the US.

And no its NOTHING near as bad as colonization. What the British did here was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Picking off the best bits of the UK economic carcass. The UK were and would be protected from this as part of a powerful bloc in the EU. Out on their own they'll be picked to pieces in their desperation to make deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They'll be lining up to suck his balls here too. Unfortunately without American investment we'd probably be a lot less well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It's on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It's on the cards.

It's all very embarrassing, but entirely of their own making. Entirely. 45 years of demonising and scapegoating the EU so that they can "take back control" by being a vassal state of the United States. The Tory rightwing and the oligarch-controlled Tory media are entirely to blame for leading their society to this point. The middle class, educated and liberal English are to blame for not fighting back against this union of mendacious toffs and ignorant plebs. How ineffably sad that open-minded, cultured English people have, without a fight, surrendered their future to these people.

Watch those declining food standards very closely, and those declining working conditions. England in ten years time is looking like it's going to be decidedly, and eerily, dystopian.

They'll be lining up to suck his balls here too. Unfortunately without American investment we'd probably be a lot less well off.
    He will be rude as **** over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Not really a politically commentary but I'm currently living in the south of England and I can't believe the way the UK is bowing down towards Trump. Granted he's the president but so far he's insulted the Mayor of London by calling him a looser, said the NHS is on the table as part of a trade deal and has got involved in the election of the prime minister. Obviously Brexit has left the UK in a much weaker state but I expected the British establishment to stand up for themselves more. I'm feeling sorry for our nearest neighbour lately, should they really put up with this?

They're desperate for a bit of leverage.

They're desperate for a bit of leverage.

The only leverage they have is their military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Our mob will be no different when he’s here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The UK is in a horrible, horrible negotiating position as a result of the Brexit vote - they have to somehow hammer out dozens of trade deals with dozens of countries who can all afford to let them sit and sweat because the Brexit clock is always ticking down to a chaotic crashout - it's a huge firesale of British national and business interests, and the bargain-hunters are willing to wait until the EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! signs go up

The government are having to try to maintain the traditional Tory party smirk and uplifted chin of innate superiority while their heads are jammed so far up Trump's behind only the shoulders are visible.

It's a disgrace what they are inflicting on the people of Britain, an absolute disgrace.

He will be rude as **** over here.
    He won't walk over us as much as he won't want to upset Irish Americans, and has no real interest in us economically. He wants a no deal Brexit and an economic takeover of the British. They are bending over backwards for him to be come a vassal state of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Is America TRUMP treating the UK like a colony?

Yes.

• Advertisement

It's all very embarrassing, but entirely of their own making. Entirely. 45 years of demonising and scapegoating the EU so that they can "take back control" by being a vassal state of the United States. The Tory rightwing and the oligarch-controlled Tory media are entirely to blame for leading their society to this point. The middle class, educated and liberal English are to blame for not fighting back against this union of mendacious toffs and ignorant plebs. How ineffably sad that open-minded, cultured English people have, without a fight, surrendered their future to these people.

Watch those declining food standards very closely, and those declining working conditions. England in ten years time is looking like it's going to be decidedly, and eerily, dystopian.
    Indeed the Lib Dems and the whole liberal remainers now are stale, powerless and too late. They can wave their EU flags as much as they want but where were they the past 40 years challenging the Tories and right wing anti EU press. They allowed this to occur now act shocked it has. Whole things a mess.

ratracer wrote: »
    Our mob will be no different when he’s here!
    Lets hope they weather the storm with more grace.

Humane and polite but not supplicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

481945.jpg.

Indeed the Lib Dems and the whole liberal remainers now are stale, powerless and too late. They can wave their EU flags as much as they want but where were they the past 40 years challenging the Tories and right wing anti EU press. They allowed this to occur now act shocked it has. Whole things a mess.

Why didn't they have a massive push for a second vote??

There was at the start if Cameron had stayed enough support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Have a lot of friends in the UK and most of them have expressed worry at how much they're going to be raped by the US come trade deal time.

He won't walk over us as much as he won't want to upset Irish Americans, and has no real interest in us economically. He wants a no deal Brexit and an economic takeover of the British. They are bending over backwards for him to be come a vassal state of the US.

The US never really had much interest in us economically blessing in disguise right now.

Anything Trump gives is a Trojan Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Western Europe was where the US was going to go to battle with the Soviet Union - Britain being the 'unsinkable aircraft carrier' off the coast of the continent. It's high time that Europe left NATO and NATO left Europe. Europe needs its own self-interested defence pact using its own native tech. US interests are not European interests.

kowloon wrote: »
    Have a lot of friends in the UK and most of them have expressed worry at how much they're going to be raped by the US come trade deal time.

Its mostly their businesses, farmers etc and civil service contracts they need to worry over.

The only good thing is Trump will not be there forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I hope it pisses rain and hail and thunder tomorrow on the golf course

• Advertisement

Western Europe was where the US was going to go to battle with the Soviet Union - Britain being the 'unsinkable aircraft carrier' off the coast of the continent. It's high time that Europe left NATO and NATO left Europe. Europe needs its own self-interested defence pact using its own native tech. US interests are not European interests.

After the wind has blown either the EU will break up or it will form one EU state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump says the NHS is on the table regarding any post Brexit deal. That'll really finish off the UK.
    Mind the FF/FG dirt would love to privatise health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump says the NHS is on the table regarding any post Brexit deal. That'll really finish off the UK.

Not a chance will he or anyone else get near the NHS, People have no idea how the NHS is loved in the UK. Any politician who tries to close it or sell it off to private companies would be signing the death warrant of their party forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think you sign trade deals with a colony... you don't really need to, implicitly.
    The UK has been a client state of the US since Suez.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He doesn't respect the UK, with in their half-in, half-out fudging position and comments from Khan clearly nettled him.

Won't be quite as bad here as our govt are compliant lickspittles, everyone is coached on what or what not to say and any protestors won't be let within a donkey's roar of Trump. I'd be surprised if he bothered with a meet and greet of the plain people of Doonbeg.
    The Irish American lobby aren't as powerful as they once were, happy out with their green beer and sentimental shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Any of our private hospitals are 10 times better than the HSE ones!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

RustyNut wrote: »
    481945.jpg.

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any of our private hospitals are 10 times better than the HSE ones!

There's hospitals in the developing world better than HSE ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Granted he's the president but so far he's insulted the Mayor of London by calling him a looser..
    You forgot to mention that the Mayor insulted the President first, by tweeting that he was a fascist, facilitating protests, and authorising that stupid blimp.
    Not a great way to treat a guest.

London mayor hits out at US president before his state visit to Britain...
    But what would you expect from this sad loser.

The Donald was welcomed in the UK by those who matter, and he will also get a great welcome in Co. Clare.

Not a chance will he or anyone else get near the NHS, People have no idea how the NHS is loved in the UK. Any politician who tries to close it or sell it off to private companies would be signing the death warrant of their party forever.

The general public don't realize how much up against the wall the UK. Can you imagine if they can't make a trade deal with the EU OR the US?

I think the UK govt has accepted they will have to pay tariffs long term on EU trade.

recedite wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that the Mayor insulted the President first, by tweeting that he was a fascist, facilitating protests, and authorising that stupid blimp.

The Donald was welcomed in the UK by those who matter, and he will also get a great welcome in Co. Clare.
    And you obviously.

• Advertisement

Only the elite establishment in the UK welcome Trump.

Normal people know he will rob them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

B0jangles wrote: »
    The UK is in a horrible, horrible negotiating position as a result of the Brexit vote - they have to somehow hammer out dozens of trade deals with dozens of countries who can all afford to let them sit and sweat because the Brexit clock is always ticking down to a chaotic crashout - it's a huge firesale of British national and business interests, and the bargain-hunters are willing to wait until the EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! signs go up

The government are having to try to maintain the traditional Tory party smirk and uplifted chin of innate superiority while their heads are jammed so far up Trump's behind only the shoulders are visible.

It's a disgrace what they are inflicting on the people of Britain, an absolute disgrace.

I completely agree. I think the Tory party will appear in the history books as the party that broke up the UK, destroyed its economy and reduced it to a vassal state. I can't see the brexiters taking credit for this so they'll blame whoever they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

And so he should. I'd say if you asked the majority of anti-Trump supporters why they dislike Trump that they wouldn't really have a clue. They only do what the media tell them to do. Trump himself has never done anything bad to this country and as President of America he should certainly get a good welcome just like every other President before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I completely agree. I think the Tory party will appear in the history books as the party that broke up the UK, destroyed its economy and reduced it to a vassal state. I can't see the brexiters taking credit for this so they'll blame whoever they can.

Yeah, but they expect to be right in there at the trough buying up all those lovely, cheap British assets. It's not the senior tories who'll be eating chlorinated chicken, that stuff's strictly for the plebs, but you know that the Tories/Brexiters will still somehow turn around and blame the E.U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly. Khan using cheap publicity to get away from the rising acid attacks, knife attacks and terrorist attacks that have blighted London under his reign. But I’m sure that’s just part of living in a big city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Its quite satisfying to watch them all smirk and grovel as he insults and belittles them. They've done it to other countries for centuries, but now they're fcuked and need a trade deal with the US at all costs. Trump knows this and will offer them a steaming pile on a platter then sit down and watch them eat it.

The once great empire reduced to a snivelling beggar state willing to bend over for this narcissistic simpleton for fear they remove another economic option off the table. Trump is also alienating the EU, China and Japan so their own star is going to lose some shimmer pretty soon too.

I live here and he wasn't welcomed by ordinary people. Most people were ashamed that their politicians were pandering to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't recall what bus it was on that US corporations were going to have rich pickings on the NHS.

I live here and I agree with you about the NHS, but I don't think people will see the signs that it's going to be sold off. The elites in the Tory party hardly have the county's best interest at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's sad to read so much 'chip on shoulder', anti-British ****e on this thread given the way Ireland has long since become the 51st state of the USA in all but name. This neutral State has allowed the USA to operate its military adventures through Shannon Airport for decades.

The country has no air defence against the Russians or anybody else bar what the British provides. In the event that the country was ever threatened by anybody where would Ireland turn to.....the wicked Brits. Irish people need to grow up - a majority of British people voted for Brexit for a wide variety of reasons and it's going to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement