Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyoa Prius, replacing head unit: security screws

Options
  • 04-06-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to upgrade the headunit from the original radio (Japanese Import) to an android radio on my Prius Aqua / C. However I have not seen these security/tamper-proof screws before and I was wondering if anybody could help identify them?

xd6Em2SoQPo8Zync9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They could be shear head screws where the head shears off once tightened, the middle round part is that separate to the rest of the screw because it looks like its pressed into the head of the screw.
    If it was me I would get a set of small sharp high quality drill bits and drill the head off the screw with progressively larger drill bits.
    Or use a dremel with cutting disc to make a channel that a flathead screw driver will work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Thanks, I was thinking of attacking it with a pair of pliers: I can bet behind the screw and will try to unscrew from the threaded side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have rear access then a pair of 4" vice grips will be your saviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Guys on priuschat don't seem to be able to find the tool either;

https://priuschat.com/threads/stereo-strange-screw-head.188001/

• Advertisement
Advertisement