Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you pack your laptop in checked luggage

• 04-06-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭

Can you pack your laptop in checked luggage? I thought you could, but a relation was asked to remove a laptop from her suitcase recently.

Plus - see what Ryanair say - am I misreading it? Surely some of the items below can't be prohibited from your suitcase?! (not even sunglasses!)

8.4.2 You must not include in Checked Baggage money, jewellery, precious metals, keys, cameras, Personal Electronic Devices (PED)*, such as laptops, mobile phones, tablets, electronic cigarettes, watches, spare lithium batteries*, medicines, spectacles, sunglasses, contact lenses, , negotiable papers, securities, cigarettes, tobacco or tobacco products or other valuables, business documents, passports and other identification documents or samples.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lithium ion batteries afaik are required to be carried in cabin luggage/carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

banie01 wrote: »
    Lithium ion batteries afaik are required to be carried in cabin luggage/carry on.

Per Aer Lingus - "Equipment containing correctly installed batteries can be packed in your checked baggage."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Li-ion batteries are a fire risk, not the best things to put in an aircraft hold. The rest of the laptop is fine provided it survives the throwers.

Per Aer Lingus - "Equipment containing correctly installed batteries can be packed in your checked baggage."

All Airlines have specific restrictions regarding lithium ion batteries and their carriage.
    Even Aer Lingus if you read their page.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/restricted-items/

Further to that, ones carriage by any Airline is subject to that carriers terms and conditions.
    Should any carrier wish to impose a specific baggage or item restriction they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

banie01 wrote: »
    All Airlines have specific restrictions regarding lithium ion batteries and their carriage.
    Even Aer Lingus if you read their page.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/restricted-items/

Further to that, ones carriage by any Airline is subject to that carriers terms and conditions.
    Should any carrier wish to impose a specific baggage or item restriction they can.

Yes, but i quoted from the same Aer Lingus page - Equipment containing correctly installed batteries can be packed in your checked baggage, which appears to include laptops. The restrictions elsewhere on lithium ion batteries do not appear to include laptops with properly installed batteries.

I fully agree with you that an Airline can make up its own mind what you can put into checked baggage - but prohibiting:

keys, spectacles, sunglasses, contact lenses, business documents?? very odd!
    Steve wrote: »
    Li-ion batteries are a fire risk, not the best things to put in an aircraft hold. The rest of the laptop is fine provided it survives the throwers.

Appears to be only loose batteries prohibited though according to Aer Lingus. Ryanair on other hand have gone to bizarre lengths with their list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Appears to be only loose batteries prohibited though according to Aer Lingus. Ryanair on other hand have gone to bizarre lengths with their list!

Loose batteries are more as risk of igniting afaik - just something I read on the internet, no real proof.

I suspect the other items are to do with customs / insurance claims rather than safety.

Steve wrote: »
    Loose batteries are more as risk of igniting afaik - just something I read on the internet, no real proof.

I suspect the other items are to do with customs / insurance claims rather than safety.

Unshielded contacts in loose batteries are a bigger risk of shorting and as such a high fire/explosion risk.

With the Li-Ion restrictions, it is the danger of explosive thermal runaway.
    Li-Ion batteries over 10000mah are restricted from flight altogether IIRC.
    So with that in mind things like power banks and high capacity batteries would also potentially "banned".

The blanket banning by airlines of particular device types is a much simpler means of policing the issue, than checking what the chemical type of the battery is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

I fully agree with you that an Airline can make up its own mind what you can put into checked baggage - but prohibiting:

Basically Ryanair doesn't want people putting items in their checked baggage that are expensive, delicate, irreplaceable, or that contain confidential information, because checked baggage can be more easily lost or stolen and will definitely be handled quite roughly during loading and unloading. If you do put such things in your luggage and they get destroyed or lost and you try to make an insurance claim or sue Ryanair because of it, Ryanair will point to their conditions of carriage and say "See, we told Podgeandrodge not to pack those items and they agreed to those terms, so we are not responsible for those losses..." Granted, that defense may or may not actually be successful if it was Ryanair's negligence or deliberate action that caused the loss, but it costs them nothing to add that clause to their conditions of carriage and it will hopefully discourage at least some people from putting expensive stuff in their checked bags, thus reducing Ryanair's potential liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Most of those are fragile items that could easily be broken given the ways bags are handled.

Personal documents, cash/credit cards, medicine, electronics I would never place in hold. Liquids either as they can burst and destroy everything in bag.

I don't really know why you would place a bag in a hold on a ryanair trip. Priority allows you to bring 10kg on board and that should be plenty unless you plan moving full time. Every city has washing facilities, many apartments have washing machines, 4 star hotels and above will do your laundry for a fee.

Advertisement