Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring your bike

Options
  • 04-06-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

What do people do for insuring bikes?
    Have a new bike and contacted insurance to add it to the house policy and coming in at €400ish to be added - need to ring them again tomorrow to chat about exactly what’s covered - really only looking for it to be covered for theft.
    I’m also a CI member / racing license, so is there any cover there or what do people do / recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you covering it to be insured for theft from outside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

are you covering it to be insured for theft from outside the house?

Is it automatically covered for theft from within the house? That’s what I’d want covered the most as I wouldn’t leave it locked outside anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Is it automatically covered for theft from within the house? That’s what I’d want covered the most as I wouldn’t leave it locked outside anywhere

No it's not. Most policies will specifically deal with pedal cycles so it's not automatically within your contents figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do people do for insuring bikes?
    Have a new bike and contacted insurance to add it to the house policy and coming in at €400ish to be added - need to ring them again tomorrow to chat about exactly what’s covered - really only looking for it to be covered for theft.
    I’m also a CI member / racing license, so is there any cover there or what do people do / recommend?

That’s crazy mine was only about 5 euro extra. How much is the bike worth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

It will depend on the value of the bike and if you want it insured outside of the house too. Don’t remember exactly now but it cost me around 10% of the value of the bike (when purchased new) each year to have that insurance added to my house insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

peteb2 wrote: »
    No it's not. Most policies will specifically deal with pedal cycles so it's not automatically within your contents figure.
    my policy did include the bikes inside the house or secure outbuilding. when you insure it as a 'pedal cycle' it's covered for theft outside the house, and the cost shoots up.
    i think different insurance companies will cover each bike up to a maximum value but many insurance companies will require you to name items worth more than €1000, for example, but they come under contents insurance. some might specify that the bicycle must itself be locked and that violent force used to steal it.

my policy did include the bikes inside the house or secure outbuilding. when you insure it as a 'pedal cycle' it's covered for theft outside the house, and the cost shoots up.
    i think different insurance companies will cover each bike up to a maximum value but many insurance companies will require you to name items worth more than €1000, for example, but they come under contents insurance. some might specify that the bicycle must itself be locked and that violent force used to steal it.

New Tarmac so €4.5k, think I need to move company or have a look around, with zurich at the moment

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s crazy mine was only about 5 euro extra. How much is the bike worth ?

What insurance company you with?

homer911 wrote: »

Thanks looked at both of them and seems to be 10% of value each year (~€400)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks looked at both of them and seems to be 10% of value each year (~€400)

Last time I checked out bikmo they said they wouldn't cover the bike if any changes had been made, I was trying to insure my Scott Solace but they said they wouldn't cover because I had changed the wheels, they only cover off the shelf bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Last time I checked out bikmo they said they wouldn't cover the bike if any changes had been made, I was trying to insure my Scott Solace but they said they wouldn't cover because I had changed the wheels, they only cover off the shelf bicycles.

My bike is insured with Bikmo and it's customised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had the conversation about 12 months ago and had specified I had upgraded the wheelset and had plans on making changes to the groupset and specifically wanted these covered, they said they would only cover for a 'standard' bike. Their terms may well have changed since then but that was my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What insurance company you with?

I’m insured through chill.ie I can’t remember the underwriters. The bike is worth 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

My bike is on the house insurance. About 600 a year for ecargo bike worth just over 6k.
    I wouldn't consider it if it was never left unattended outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I ordinarily check and compare the insurance quotes at first. I recently bought an ebike for son and compared the electric bike insurance quotes here. If you are looking for some cheap bike insurance then it is better to garage your bikes at home, reduce your premium with riding license and better to go with annual payments instead of monthly instalments of insurance. Hopefully, these tips would reduce your insurance quote. Also, it is good to buy insurance online because online insurance companies offer the discount codes but keep in mind; you are getting coverage from a certified site of a known insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

That info seems to be for emotorbikes in the UK.
    Is there anything there for expensive pedelecs in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

What if you would like to insure only the bike. Is there any good insurance company only for the bicycles. Soon i will buying bike worth 1,100 EUR. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

lil_kev wrote: »
    What if you would like to insure only the bike. Is there any good insurance company only for the bicycles. Soon i will buying bike worth 1,100 EUR. Thanks

not unless the shop selling it has some kind of extend facility, no.

Advertisement