Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binocular

Options
  • 05-06-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Morning all looking to to buy a set of binoculars for late evening foxing have ard-€300 to spend what’s a good pair for the job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm using Nikon Monarch 5's 10X42 for that very purpose. Very good clarity and excellent in low light.

You should be able to pick them up for about €300.

Alternatively, the Vortex get good reviews or maybe one of the Hawke's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'm using Nikon Monarch 5's 10X42
    You should be able to pick them up for about €300.

https://carmarthencameras.com/binoculars/nikon-binoculars/nikon-monarch-binoculars/nikon-monarch-5-10x42.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

You need to understand optics first.
    10x42 is crap at night or in low light.
    Standard pre night vision issue was 8x50 and that would be the max mag and the min object lens diameter I'd go for.
    If you divide the object lens dia by the magnification the answer is the exit purple diameter. At night your eye opens to about 7mm or maybe 8mm

50/8=7 with 1 over.
    42/10 = 4 with 2 over.
    Fact is that 8x56 is prob one of the best configurations you'll ever get.
    Gives you an 8mm exit purple with nearly 25% more light gathering ability than a 8x50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

To follow up from Zxthinger, the 8x56 scope is a classic optic for hide and highseat hunting especially at night when using available moonlight. Other classic optics are 6x42 giving you the magic '7'. But the bigger objective will gather light better.

The other point is that as you go up magnification it becomes harder to maintain a steady image as any slight tremors in your body is noticeable in your optics image. Higher magnification will require a steady rest usually in the form of a tripod to allow you to disconnect with the optics.

What I would also say is to try and match the optics with your scope. Its no good haveing one or the other giving you a perfect picture and the other being dark especially your scope image.

Although I do use a cheep set of 8x42's for all my stalking I would like a pair of 8x56 purely for wood and lowland stalks and keep the small ones for hill work. At this stage I'm trying to shed ballast once the incline starts to rise, while a lot of my woodland is static with shorter leaps and bounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭merv35

Lads thanks for the replays I’m just looking for bog stranded pair tat do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Try this :

https://www.camera.ie/products/hawke-endurance-8x56/

You'll should be able to shop around for a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@cookimonster - zackly the pair I bought last yearabouts to put in the other car. Not TOO cumbersome, but with glass that punches way above the modest cost. I've recommended Hawke brand binoculars for a number of years to folks who don't want to be spending a fortune on binoculars, but nevertheless want the safety of a known brand with a good warranty behind it. The RSPB magazine gave them 8/10 overall, but a 9/10 for value for money.

Advertisement