Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Maynooth

• 05-06-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

Hey people, I've just become a dad, and my wife and I are wondering about schools in Maynooth and their policies with enrollment if a child isn't baptised. Does anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

There's the Educate Together and the new Gaelscoil ET due to open this September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

You don't need a baptismal cert for the Gaelscoil on the Celbridge Road but it was pointed out to me very clearly by the secretary that it is most certainly a Catholic school. As far as I know there is actually a blanket ban on all schools now requiring a baptismal cert now but I'm open to correction on that one.

The Educate Together and the new Gaelscoil (Gaelscoil Ruairí) are both multidenominational. You can register from birth for both the ET and Gaelscoil Uí Fhiaich. Gaelscoil Ruairí will be opening registration for future years in October. I believe both the boys and girls schools only open registration the year before you want your child to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

First off congratulations on your new arrival.

There is no blanket ban on the baptism barrier. All current primary schools in Maynooth apart from the ET school give preference to baptised catholics. That said if they are not over-subscribed and you don't mind catholic instruction being part of the curriculum (and kids training for communion and confirmation while your kid sits at the back reading) then you could get in.

The new Gaelscoil will be multi-denominational too. I'm not sure if they are open for enrolment yet. The planning decision on their location is due on the 23rd June.

My advice is to enrol now in the ET school for 2024 - there is a massive waiting list but you should be ok for that year right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Orion wrote: »
    First off congratulations on your new arrival.

There is no blanket ban on the baptism barrier. All current primary schools in Maynooth apart from the ET school give preference to baptised catholics. That said if they are not over-subscribed and you don't mind catholic instruction being part of the curriculum (and kids training for communion and confirmation while your kid sits at the back reading) then you could get in.

The new Gaelscoil will be multi-denominational too. I'm not sure if they are open for enrolment yet. The planning decision on their location is due on the 23rd June.

My advice is to enrol now in the ET school for 2024 - there is a massive waiting list but you should be ok for that year right now.

I spoke to Gaelscoil Uí Fhiaich about this and they confirmed that preference is not given to baptised children. The enrollment policy on their website does not reference a requirement to be baptised. Preference is certainly given to siblings though. My kids were on the list from when they were a week old and they still weren't offered a place this year. 40+ on the waiting list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Orion wrote:

Open and looking for enrollments although not sure they will keep baby places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

evil_seed wrote: »
    Hey people, I've just become a dad, and my wife and I are wondering about schools in Maynooth and their policies with enrollment if a child isn't baptised. Does anyone have an idea?

So you want your child in the "good school" but you dont want to do the whole catholic thing? Bit hypocritical isnt it? My own Brother in law was the same with humanist wedding and trying to get their child into the "good school".

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

So you want your child in the "good school" but you dont want to do the whole catholic thing? Bit hypocritical isnt it? My own Brother in law was the same with humanist wedding and trying to get their child into the "good school".

Actually I would suggest the t opposite is true. Parents getting their children baptized just so that they can get them into the school of their choice are the hypocrites.

Many of them only visit a church for wedding and funerals but suddenly pretend to be a believer once a child is on the way.

This country needs more non-denominational schools so that parents don’t feel the need to pretend. Separate church from education once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Feel however you want but you don't even know if me or my wife are even catholic. I only asked a question and didn't want this type of **** to start.

Actually I would suggest the t opposite is true. Parents getting their children baptized just so that they can get them into the school of their choice are the hypocrites.

Many of them only visit a church for wedding and funerals but suddenly pretend to be a believer once a child is on the way.

This country needs more non-denominational schools so that parents don’t feel the need to pretend. Separate church from education once and for all.

Thank you. Said it way better than I ever could

That is the same thing to a certain extent but you will find in the UK that the Catholic Grammar schools are the prefered than the government comprehensive school. The problem isnt the Catholic schools its the Government are building enough. This is really about a land grab where the UN Document Plan for 2030 mentions education 30 times. Its happening in the UK where they want to take the grammar schools out of the control of the local board of Trustees and bring it under the Ministry of Education.

Look across the world. All the best school are the ones with the Religious Ethos. Next year they want to dilute the Junior cert("adjusting the bell curve") and they have already done this to the Leaving cert (currently sitting). You cannot compare the VEC education to the religious schools. I had to suffer them because it was the only thing on offer. You see it in the United States the religious uniformed schools are superior to the wear what you like non denominational schools.

You see all the best schools are run by certain orders (Jesuits, Dominicans) and then there are the government schools. Dont believe me? Look up the Sunday Times schools table. Aint no one clambering to get into the Educate together. ITs all the Gael scoils and the Religious School.

So you are going to ask me why didnt I go the religious school, even though I passed the test for the A class? Cos we couldn't afford the bus pass to the provincial town. Thats the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

They literally never said any of that, you just made something up in your own head. How embarrassing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly sure the two schools that are the easiest to get in to are the English language Catholic ones anyway? The main competition is for the ETNS and Gaelscoil and there's a non Catholic Gaelscoil imminent

They literally never said any of that, you just made something up in your own head. How embarrassing!

No they didnt but that is what it reduces down to.

That is the same thing to a certain extent but you will find in the UK that the Catholic Grammar schools are the prefered than the government comprehensive school.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/faith-schools-academically-no-better-than-any-others-epi-report-religion-catholic-church-england-a7451676.html
    The problem isnt the Catholic schools its the Government are building enough. This is really about a land grab where the UN Document Plan for 2030 mentions education 30 times.

I think you're looking for the Conspiracy Theories forum.

No they didnt but that is what it reduces down to.

So you have a deep insight into their lives and faith do you? Tell us more oh wise one.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the two schools that are the easiest to get in to are the English language Catholic ones anyway? The main competition is for the ETNS and Gaelscoil and there's a non Catholic Gaelscoil imminent

This is true and the new Gaelscoil should reduce pressure on both even a small bit. However if the OP's child has just been born you're looking at 2023 or 2024 registration which should be ok.

While pupils in primary and secondary faith schools do achieve better results overall, these tables do not take into account social background, the report warns.

A spokesperson for the Catholic Education Service commented: “This research bears no resemblance to the on-the-ground experience of Catholic schools, nor does it bear any resemblance to the actual facts.

“The 2016 Catholic Schools Census is the most accurate representation of Catholic schools in England. It finds that Catholic Schools educate 21 per cent more pupils from ethnic minority backgrounds than the national average, and in Catholic primary schools, almost 40 per cent more pupils from the poorest households."

There is something else in the religious educations system. read the full article. This is why parents are all want their children in the better schools.

This isn't the UK

This isn't the UK

You are right. its not but the pattern remains the same. Go back to the Sunday times schools league. Different countries, same patterns.

1 (1) Laurel Hill Coláiste FCJ, Sth Circular Rd, Limerick, Girls 96.4%

2 (2) Scoil Mhuire, Sidney Place, Cork, Girls 87.1%

3 (5) Coláiste Íosagáin, Booterstown, Co Dublin,Girls 87.0%

4 (8=) Gonzaga College, Ranelagh, Dublin 6, Boys 85.9%

5 (10) Loreto College, St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Girls 85.2%

6 (4) The Teresian School, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Girls 85.1%

7 (7) Presentation Brothers College, Mardyke, Cork, Boys 85.0%

8 (3) Salerno Jesus and Mary Secondary School, Salthill, Galway, Girls 84.3%

9 (13) Mount Anville Secondary School, Goatstown, Dublin 14, Girls 83.5%

10 (14) Coláiste na Coiribe, Knocknacarra, Galway, Mixed 81.7%

11 (12) Castleknock College, Castleknock, Dublin 15, Boys 81.6%

12 (22) *Coláiste Iognáid SJ, Sea Rd, Galway, Mixed 81.3%

13 (8=) Christian Brothers College, Sidney Hill, Cork, Boys 80.7%

14 (19) Mount Sackville Secondary School, Chapelizod, Dublin 20, Girls 79.4%

15 (53) Coláiste Ghobnait, Inis Oírr, Aran Islands, Co Galway (G), Mixed 77.8%

16 (16) Alexandra College, Milltown, Dublin 6 (B), Girls 77.2%

17 (23) Loreto High School, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, Girls 76.5%

18 (32) Holy Faith Secondary School, Clontarf, Dublin 3, Girls 76.5%

19 (21) Blackrock College, Blackrock, Co Dublin (B), Boys 76.4%

20 (15) Belvedere College, Great Denmark St, Dublin 1, Boys 75.6%

Not an Educate Together or a VEC School between them.

Number 10 and 15 are Galway VEC. The number of secondary pupils who have finished at ET secondaries is tiny so far.

Most of the rest are private, which is the important factor - not religious figurehead status.

The Assessment is only over one year. Most of those school look like they have a religious Ethos. You will usually find the VEC at the bottom of the local league tables. You will usually find the parents have no interest in education or dont have the money for the better schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

The Assessment is only over one year. Most of those school look like they have a religious Ethos. You will usually find the VEC at the bottom of the local league tables. You will usually find the parents have no interest in education or dont have the money for the better schools.

You seem to be confusing Correlation with Causation.

You could just have easily said that single sex schools do better than mixed ones.

Your suggestion is that a school can't compete without a religious person running it is simply ludicrous.

It is also possible that the league tables are measuring performance against a narrow set of achievements.

I attended a Catholic primary school run by the (UN)Christian Brothers and was labeled a dunce and spat out with little prospects based on my academic achievement up to that point. I made the decision to escape from the mitts of the Christian Brothers and enrol in a technical school.

This was the best decision of my life. You see they catered from children without a narrowly defined academic ability and included a broader curriculum that helped me do well.

A good school is one run by a good team of teaching staff and is supported by the parents.

After all the religious scandals we have endured in this country it is sad that we continue to allow the clergy to have such influence over our children.

Separate education from religious indoctrination. Let the churches create Sunday schools for their brainwashing activities if they so desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Mods lock this dumpster fire of a thread please. I've got what I needed

Number 10 and 15 are Galway VEC. The number of secondary pupils who have finished at ET secondaries is tiny so far.

Most of the rest are private, which is the important factor - not religious figurehead status.

And apart from the private aspect approximately 60% of secondary schools are run by religious orders. So the figures are going to be skewed towards them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

.. Most of those school look like they have a religious Ethos. You will usually find the VEC at the bottom of the local league tables. .

This is probably because the top performing schools tend to be religious private schools and those that are non private religious are well established schools.
    You will usually find the VEC at the bottom of the local league tables. You will usually find the parents have no interest in education or dont have the money for the better schools.

Absolute BS. Does the VEC still exist? Maynooth post primary schools are part of KWETB and MPPS was a VEC school. Maynooth tends to be ahead of most ETB schools in performance tables because it is the only secondary school in town, there is no competition from other secondary schools and being in a University town with public transport links to other third level institutions in Dublin, a high percentage of Maynooth PPS attend third level because they can live at home (this is also one factor in other third level locations such as Galway.)

So parents in Maynooth have no interest in their childs education?

Since this is a thread on schools in Maynooth, Maynooth's KWETB secondary schools are the only show in town so there is no point in comparing them to the likes of Kings Hos or Mount Anville unless money and travel are not an issue. The points achieved by Maynooth PPS students to date may surprise you. Maynooth CC have their first leaving cert class doing exams now.

The VECs are now called ETBs. They are pretty much the same thing except some of them merged such as Kildare and Wicklow.

Good point on MPPS though. Despite it having no academic selection criteria for enrolment it consistently scores very high on 3rd level progression tables.

fwiw MCC and MPPS are essentially the same schools when it comes to learning. Same building, same teachers, same facilities and kids in the same classes.

As for his comment on parents having no interest - that was such complete nonsense that I decided to ignore it.

The VECs are now called ETBs. They are pretty much the same thing except some of them merged such as Kildare and Wicklow.

Good point on MPPS though. Despite it having no academic selection criteria for enrolment it consistently scores very high on 3rd level progression tables.

fwiw MCC and MPPS are essentially the same schools when it comes to learning. Same building, same teachers, same facilities and kids in the same classes.

As for his comment on parents having no interest - that was such complete nonsense that I decided to ignore it.

Well then go to Kilkenny city where the former VEC school is consistently at the bottom (dont mention the scandal from 20 years ago). So the VECs merged and changed names, you still have the same auld sods sitting in the same auld chairs at a different coloured table in the same building. Its like trying to the difference between Marathon and Snickers.

Yet your comparison of public to private schools is like comparing Snickers with Curly Wurlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

Well then go to Kilkenny city where the former VEC school is consistently at the bottom (dont mention the scandal from 20 years ago). So the VECs merged and changed names, you still have the same auld sods sitting in the same auld chairs at a different coloured table in the same building. Its like trying to the difference between Marathon and Snickers.

I went to the CBS in Kilkenny and my parents would never have considered Kilkenny VEC because of its reputation even though plenty of our neighbours went there but thats irrelevant, this is a thread on Maynooth schools and while Maynooth PPS has its problems, it preforms above the national average on the annual league table for third level attendance which is the table you referenced.

I went to the CBS in Kilkenny and my parents would never have considered Kilkenny VEC because of its reputation even though plenty of our neighbours went there but thats irrelevant.

So there is a difference between the religious and secular? And how did Kilkenny VEC acquire that reputation?

• Advertisement

Yet your comparison of public to private schools is like comparing Snickers with Curly Wurlies.

At the end of the day, all that matters is what result you got in your leaving cert. Sad to say money does give you a much better "chance at education". Then you have to make that chance work. But if you are stuck in a class room of lads who are going be independent pharmaceutical salesmen and contenders for president of the jobs club with a teacher praying for 65 and both parties watching the clock for 4pm then you are starting from a bad place.

Advertisement